To live within optimism or pessimism?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Optimist. Pessimists are inferior IMO.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salmaa!)
    I don't need to check some webpage, it works for me and that's all that matters
    No need to be rude I was just pointing out that it's technically delusional
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)
    i'm giving my opinion on which attitude works best for me, you tell me i'm technically delusional, and i'm the one being rude?
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    Optimistic.

Not the type of "yeah, going to get 100% on all my exams hur hur!"..

but the type of "I'm giving it my best shot, no matter how difficult things get I'll always find a work around."

I just believe that negativity in general depletes my energy and both mental and emotional accounts. If I'm in a good mood, I know I'm bound to do better at whatever it is that I'm doing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm giving my opinion on which attitude works best for me, you tell me i'm technically delusional, and i'm the one being rude?
    Explain why me calling you delusional is rude please.

Delusion: belief or impression that is firmly maintained despite being contradicted by what is generally accepted as reality.

As I said, there is contrary evidence, generally accepted by scholars/academics/doctors to your belief, it is then by definition a delusion.

I understand that this word is generally (wrongfully) seen as derogatory which is why I clearly stated that I meant delusional strictly in the technical meaning. Come on, give me a break!

I even said that it was unfortunate because the facts do not support what you were saying which seemed like a generally good thing.

You're on a philosophy forum, it's not about your opinion it's about your position based on facts, if anything you're now coming across as quite arrogant, which is a form of rudeness in itself. I'll echo the words of Bertrand Russell:

"When you are studying any matter or considering any philosophy, ask yourself ONLY what are the facts and what is the truth that the facts bear out. Never let yourself be diverted either by what you would wish to believe or by what you think would have beneficent social effects if it were believed. Look only at the facts"
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even at the point in the month where I love arguing yet, so just count this as a warm up, okay?

(Original post by kly45)
    Explain why me calling you delusional is rude please.
    "Delusional: A false belief strongly held in spite of invalidating evidence, especially as a symptom of mental illness."

It has negative connotations towards being mentally ill, which is why I found it offensive. But you did say :
    I understand that this word is generally (wrongfully) seen as derogatory which is why I clearly stated that I meant delusional strictly in the technical meaning.
    So I guess that's okay, but still you could've avoided the whole thing by using a different word which would've been less rude and still gotten your point across.

As I said, there is contrary evidence, generally accepted by scholars/academics/doctors to your belief, it is then by definition a delusion.
    I understand this but for one, how is that going to affect how I choose to live my life at all? I'm happy with being optimistic everyday and looking at the positives, but because it's "generally accepted by scholars/academics/doctors to your belief, it is then by definition a delusion" I should change my whole outlook on life?
    Also, "generally" shows that there are still a percentage of people who disagree with the idea, so it's only a theory. If it was a fact people couldn't disagree.. So I'm well within reason to disagree with it too.

I even said that it was unfortunate because the facts do not support what you were saying which seemed like a generally good thing.
    I appreciate that .

You're on a philosophy forum, it's not about your opinion it's about your position based on facts
    When the question is "So are you an optimist or pessimist and why?" it is COMPLETELY about my opinion and personal beliefs on the matter.

if anything you're now coming across as quite arrogant, which is a form of rudeness in itself.
    I'm the most down-to-earth person you could imagine, but when you call me delusional and slate my opinion, I'm not exactly going to give you a high 5?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be realistic, you need a fair balance of both.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Definitely optimism. I've recently changed my mindset and it's been very motivating and has changed my whole outlook on life. Pessimism MAY give you a better sense of reality, but so can optimism - the difference is when you're optimistic you're likely to be more confident to bring about that change needed to succeed. As well as that, negative thoughts (from my experience) can be VERY counter-productive.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    optimistic, noticed what a massive change in performance that a small change in attitude can make by aiming high you push yourself and get the best you can for yourself
    Or send yourself into sadness by convincing yourself the world is all sunshine and daisies when in reality it is far from it.

A quote from fight club "'We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

And OP: I prefer being realistic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Optimistic.

Not the type of "yeah, going to get 100% on all my exams hur hur!"..

but the type of "I'm giving it my best shot, no matter how difficult things get I'll always find a work around."

I just believe that negativity in general depletes my energy and both mental and emotional accounts. If I'm in a good mood, I know I'm bound to do better at whatever it is that I'm doing.
    This.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even at the point in the month where I love arguing yet, so just count this as a warm up, okay?
    Same I'm just hitting the religious boards now

I understand this but for one, how is that going to affect how I choose to live my life at all? I'm happy with being optimistic everyday and looking at the positives, but because it's "generally accepted by scholars/academics/doctors to your belief, it is then by definition a delusion" I should change my whole outlook on life?
    I don't want you to change how you live you're life, but I thought that it was an something of interest which added to the discussion.

Also, "generally" shows that there are still a percentage of people who disagree with the idea, so it's only a theory. If it was a fact people couldn't disagree.. So I'm well within reason to disagree with it too.
    Theories are the greatest explanations in science. These are only what the maj think in terms of the studies. Granted it could be false but not according to the recent studies.

When the question is "So are you an optimist or pessimist and why?" it is COMPLETELY about my opinion and personal beliefs on the matter.
    Fair enough, but as I said, just thought it would add to the discussion. Disregard my earlier remark about being on a philosophy forum, it was clumsy because I forgot the main point of the thread.

I'm the most down-to-earth person you could imagine, but when you call me delusional and slate my opinion, I'm not exactly going to give you a high 5?

I bet you are, and I'm starting to see that "delusional" was an unfortunate word to use, but I hope you get the jist.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)
    I'll give you a personal example of why realism isn't related to optimism or pessimism.

My girlfriend is generally pessimistic, she doesn't think she'll do well in her exams, but comes out with straight A's...now before she even sat her exams I knew she would ace them, she's pretty smart, but that pessimism gave her an unrealistic (deluded) view, she personally thought she would do horribly (even though she'd done well in her previous modules and coursework).

So it's just not true that if you're optimistic you're deluded, or vice versa. That in itself is a whole different matter - you can be stupidly optimistic where you are deluded, or you can be realistically optimistic - like I think I am: where negative events won't fill my brain with negativity and make me start thinking I'm a failure, or I'm bad at this or that...it'll make me look at the positives I can take from it - such as the lessons I can take away from this negative event.

"Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from."

Now this quote (imo) is optimistic. You're appreciating the negative but focusing on the good that can derive from it.

I leave you with this: "The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one" - I think he's talking about a pessimist there.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom)
    I'm not sure I really like to be too optimistic anymore tbh. Too many times I've often put a lot of effort into something, and keep hoping and really thinking that the best thing does happen, and when the actual result is really bad and disappointing, my mood comes crashing down and my hopes are so crushed . I'm not sure I can do it anymore :sigh:.
    Same here.

I'd say being optimistic, with a healthy hint of pessimism, realism and scepticism is how I like to be.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Pessimist. In the context of exams, it's better to feel elation from overachievement than disappointment from underachievement; everywhere else, mitigating the detrimental impacts of another person's actions by being cautious is better than being manipulated by assuming everyone has an amicable character. In addition, pessimism is not equivalent to defeatism, in my view.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Besakt)
    Or send yourself into sadness by convincing yourself the world is all sunshine and daisies when in reality it is far from it.

A quote from fight club "'We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off."

And OP: I prefer being realistic.
    if something bad happens, thats when I change my attitude.. but til then I keep a positive one
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    i'm a pessimist... but i enjoy the suffering

thinking that everything is **** and feeling like a failure all the time are the main things which motivate me to work hard, succeed and eliminate the possibility of disappointment
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kly45)

Fair enough, but as I said, just thought it would add to the discussion. Disregard my earlier remark about being on a philosophy forum, it was clumsy because I forgot the main point of the thread.

I bet you are, and I'm starting to see that "delusional" was an unfortunate word to use, but I hope you get the jist.
    So I win? :ahee:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So I win? :ahee:
    Let's just say we're both losers :borat:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isonator)
    Hello all.
    I'm interested to explore some of your outlooks on studying and living.
    I'm a self proclaimed optimist on most things; however I've noticed a spate in pessimism around my friends approaching their january exams.
    Both outlooks have pro's and cons e.g, pessimists may have a closer view on reality in comparison to optimists however optimists can see bad events as motivation for change or seeking surpassing careers.
    I have noticed the more optimistic I am, the harder I motivate myself to study.
    So are you an optimist or pessimist and why?
    We live in a world where there is both. Good and Bad. Innocent and Guilty. It's everywhere, and we must be aware of both. I try to see the beauty in life. Everything I see is beautiful. People test me about it but I laugh. When you break it all down, I suppose you could say I am either optimistic or both. But I won't ever be pessimistic; I wouldnt be able to stand it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "I don't know if the glass is half empty or half full, I'm just happy there's a glass." One of my favourite quotes even though I'm not as happy as the character that said it . Anyway points to the first person to name the character

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 16, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.