The Student Room Group

Calling your bf/gf 'daddy' or 'mama'?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
are you serious?? if your bf called you, suddenly, mama as in 'come here you foxy mama' would you really think he was talking about your mum??

I think the big thing here is that everyone has their individual preferences. We may find it weird (I know I would if my girlfriend called me 'daddy' from out the blue) whilst you don't. That's fine. Variety is the spice of life. But it's probably best to check with your partner to see if they're comfortable with it before you call them that. That's all.
Reply 21
Original post by x-Sophie-x
baby would be alright..
no i know he wouldn't be, but i still find it a little weird.

i still dont understand the difference

baby = small child OR very cute adult that you fancy
daddy = your father OR a macho hot boyfriend

why is baby ok but daddy/apapi isnt? dont just say 'culturla differences' what is the actual meaning why is wrong?

why is baby ok but daddy/apapi isnt? dont just say 'culturla differences' what is the actual meaning why is wrong?

Baby is more commonly used so I guess I'm more used to hearing it.
It's not 'wrong' I just personally wouldn't like it.
And why would you call your bf that in the first place.
Reply 23

"Daddy" for most people refers to one specific person - their father. Why you would want to bring that name up in the bedroom/with a partner is a whole world of Freudian messiness.

"Baby" is a much more generic term, and most people don't actually call their own children "baby" so it has far fewer personal connotations. Plus babe/baby is so widely used to mean someone hot as well as an actual infant, that either use has become socially acceptable. Though I still dislike it personally, but that's another matter.
Reply 24
I've never heard anyone call their boyfriend "daddy" and I would not do it myself! :s-smilie: That's just weird.

As others say, babe and baby are widely normal, and I quite like being called baby :h:
If my boyfriend called me "mama" I would back away. It's a bit strange. I find it bad enough being called baby (even in joke) as I find it patronizing, but at least it's slightly tolerable - moreso than "foxy mama" anyway. Eurgh.
Reply 26
To each their own. If you're thinking of your actual father/mother when you say it, then you're doing it wrong.

Just like if you are thinking of a baby when you say 'baby', you're doing it wrong.

Baby is obviously used more widely and therefore more socially accepted.
Reply 27
Original post by Helenia
"Daddy" for most people refers to one specific person - their father. Why you would want to bring that name up in the bedroom/with a partner is a whole world of Freudian messiness.

will a guy find it kinda hot in a pervy way?

"Baby" is a much more generic term, and most people don't actually call their own children "baby" so it has far fewer personal connotations. Plus babe/baby is so widely used to mean someone hot as well as an actual infant, that either use has become socially acceptable. Though I still dislike it personally, but that's another matter.

thanks for explaining

Original post by Sazzy890
I've never heard anyone call their boyfriend "daddy" and I would not do it myself! :s-smilie: That's just weird.
is papi or sugar daddy ok?

i think its bceause men in the uk are not as macho as in brazil. we have a very patrichial society where men lead, and women follow. in everything. so calling a guy papi, daddy, are very normal and ok - it means he is your no 1 and main provider. i think in the uk in weddings a father gives away the daughter to the groom at weddings - it is kind of like that i guess
Reply 28
i think its bceause men in the uk are not as macho as in brazil. we have a very patrichial society where men lead, and women follow. in everything. so calling a guy papi, daddy, are very normal and ok - it means he is your no 1 and main provider. i think in the uk in weddings a father gives away the daughter to the groom at weddings - it is kind of like that i guess

I still find it very weird :tongue: It depends if you're speaking Spanish or not, then it would seem more normal to say papa/papi. It seems like a generic word for them like babe/baby is to us, but it doesn't sound right in English at all :s-smilie: I reckon most guys would hate to be called Sugar Daddy :eek: Doesn't that mean someone with lots of money/the type of guy a gold digger dates?
Reply 29
will a guy find it kinda hot in a pervy way?

Not being a guy, I can't say. I imagine quite a lot of them would be a bit freaked out by it though.

I have been "given away" and I still would never call my husband "daddy." But then ours is a much more equal relationship than the society you describe.
Reply 30
Original post by Sakura-Chan
Why would you think of saying something like that if you don't know what it means?

Dom = dominant. The only time I've ever heard the phrase ''dom daddy'' or ''daddy dom'' is in a kinky, BDSM context.

I personally would advise you to stay away from such names, unless you know that he'd like it, or wouldn't mind. Maybe try and work it into a normal conversation and see how he reacts first?

what is this bdsm?
what is this bdsm?

''Sexual practices or activities involving bondage, discipline, sadism, masochism, or acts of domination and submission.''

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending