The Student Room Group

Stephen Lawrence murder: Dobson and Norris found guilty

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gapyearstudent
hope they enjoy prison, who knows who they'll meet in there :tongue:

They will be lifed off, so nonces, terrorists and other murderers on a wing of a cat A dispersal :rolleyes:
Reply 41
Original post by Reformed2010

Original post by Reformed2010
Huge relief. I was just one years old when this happened. However it was that big of a case, especially within the black community, that I learned the significance of the case as I grew up from friends and family. Proud a bit of justice has been delivered, all praises to the British judicial system and unyielding fighting spirit of Lawrence's family.

Some good news for 2012!

Could not have put it better myself.
Reply 42
Original post by ScheduleII
They will be lifed off, so nonces, terrorists and other murderers on a wing of a cat A dispersal :rolleyes:

I doubt they'll be put in a high security prison like Belmarsh with terrorists. However, I'm sure there will be one or two inmates who will be happy to 'welcome' them into whichever HMP they go to unless they're put in solitary for their own safety.
Original post by viffer
I doubt they'll be put in a high security prison like Belmarsh with terrorists. However, I'm sure there will be one or two inmates who will be happy to 'welcome' them into whichever HMP they go to unless they're put in solitary for their own safety.

They may be considered VPs due to the notoriety of the crime, but Asians would not harm someone for being racist against blacks (usually) while there are no major black terrorist groups in this country.
Reply 44
Original post by ScheduleII
They may be considered VPs due to the notoriety of the crime, but Asians would not harm someone for being racist against blacks (usually) while there are no major black terrorist groups in this country.

Fair points actually.

Although I wasn't necessarily thinking specifically about Asians exacting 'revenge' but while the possibility exists that it could very easily have been an Asian that night. Racists generally tend not to be picky so who knows
Does anyone think this murder was worse than the murder in Oxford street on boxing day ?
From what I hear in the local 'community' Lawrence wasn't the angel he was made out to be and certainly didn't deserve the shrines dreamnt up by guardian readers and other bedwetting liberals . Bit of a 'gangsta' who liked a rumble so I hear .

There was a strong racial undercurrent at the time in that area, a white boy had been badly attacked by a gang of blacks before Lawrence was murdered although there is no evidence that Lawrence was involved in it. The previous assault on the white boy wasn't reported widely in the national media as these crimes often are not.Any connection to it and lawrences murder certainly wasn't brought up. It was locally however. The Police did mess up, and there was evidence of corruption on the lawrence murder investigation, although I would argue it was more about protecting one of Lawrences alleged murderers who's father was a big time gangster with friends in the Police than about than Stephens skin colour. I notice this indivdual wasn't in the dock with the other two,I doubt he ever will be either.

Still no one of any skin colour can go around murdering people ,if they got the right men fine hope they rot. They both sound pretty unpleasant individuals who didn't like those of a darker skin, but that don't make them murderers. Hope they got the right people and this judgement wasn't motivated by any kind of political pressure. It won't look great if they appeal and get off.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by GETREALDOOD
Does anyone think this murder was worse than the murder in Oxford street on boxing day ?

If the question relates solely to the deliberate killing then obviously they are equally as bad.

However, while all murder is bad I do actually think some cases are worse than others when you look at the bigger picture

Stephen Lawrence was just minding his own business when he was murdered. He was not involved in criminal and/or anti-social behaviour as far as we know. That is not the only example. There is also Ben Kinsella, Anuj Bidve and Sofyen Belamouadden to name but three.

I've no proof that Seydou Diarrassouba was involved in crime or gangs although that has been alleged. However, in terms of the bigger picture, I don't think you can totally ignore the lifestyle of the murdered person if that lifestyle increases your chances of been injured or worse. ie gangs and turf wars

It's maybe a daft analogy and certainly nowhere near as serious as murder but it's a little bit like the difference between someone being bullied and a boxer who ends up getting hurt in the ring.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ministerdonut
From what I hear in the local 'community' Lawrence wasn't the angel he was made out to be and certainly didn't deserve the shrines dreamnt up by guardian readers and other bedwetting liberals . Bit of a 'gangsta' who liked a rumble so I hear .

Rumours started by the BNP and spread by assorted pieces of excrement.

The Police did mess up, and there was evidence of corruption on the lawrence murder investigation, although I would argue it was more about protecting one of Lawrences alleged murderers who's father was a big time gangster with friends in the Police than about than Stephens skin colour. I notice this indivdual wasn't in the dock with the other two,I doubt he ever will be either.

You noticed wrong. David Norris (Clifford Norris's son) was in the dock and was convicted.
Unfortunetly his poor parents have only got part justice at the moment, but that could change if only one of them did the stabbing and he is still walking around free.

It's still a great step nonetheless that these satanic bastards have been thrown in jail. Hopefully they'll get life and the rest of the filthy cretins that took part in this inhumane act will join them.

There was a strong racial undercurrent at the time in that area, a white boy had been badly attacked by a gang of blacks before Lawrence was murdered although there is no evidence that Lawrence was involved in it. The previous assault on the white boy wasn't reported widely in the national media as these crimes often are not.Any connection to it and lawrences murder certainly wasn't brought up. It was locally however. The Police did mess up, and there was evidence of corruption on the lawrence murder investigation, although I would argue it was more about protecting one of Lawrences alleged murderers who's father was a big time gangster with friends in the Police than about than Stephens skin colour. I notice this indivdual wasn't in the dock with the other two,I doubt he ever will be either.

Still no one of any skin colour can go around murdering people ,if they got the right men fine hope they rot. They both sound pretty unpleasant individuals who didn't like those of a darker skin, but that don't make them murderers. Hope they got the right people and this judgement wasn't motivated by any kind of political pressure. It won't look great if they appeal and get off.

Do you have proof of this or are you just spreading excrement purely for laughs? I somehow doubt that you lived 'in da hood' at the time.
No one should be murdered based on skin colour its awful

RIP Stephen Lawerence :frown: Its been too long
Original post by Silver Arrow
Do you have proof of this or are you just spreading excrement purely for laughs? I somehow doubt that you lived 'in da hood' at the time.

I've got no idea whether his claims are true, but why are you so quick to dismiss them as 'excrement'?
I think the most sickening thing in this whole case in the Met Police and their deplorable and abhorrent attitudes and actions throughout the first investigation, from only moments after his stabbing he was left with no first aid by two police officers who went to the local public house.
Reply 54
Original post by LurkerintheDark
I've got no idea whether his claims are true, but why are you so quick to dismiss them as 'excrement'?

He should of course speak for himself since you posed the question to him.

However, my £0.02 is that in all of the 18 years since Stephen was murdered NO ONE to my knowledge has ever claimed that he was involved in any anti-social or criminal behaviour until I read it that earlier post. On balance, I think the claims are probably a lot of excrement too.
I'm glad his friends and family can finally try to move on with their lives and find peace.:frown:
Original post by crocker710
I think the most sickening thing in this whole case in the Met Police and their deplorable and abhorrent attitudes and actions throughout the first investigation, from only moments after his stabbing he was left with no first aid by two police officers who went to the local public house.

I could not agree more.

I also cannot understand ANYONE who says this wasn't a racially motivated murder. The camera's planted in the assailents home showed not only racism but an unhealthy obsession with knives. Some of the discussions caught on camera, I wont even repeat they are that full of racial malice.

It makes me sad, as a white person, that there are STILL people who are racist, I feel ashamed for their actions

Racism full stop sickens and baffles me. I am glad that for his mother and brother at least, there is a little relief. But also the met had a lot to answer for and valuable lessons had to be learned, it is a shame that is at the expense of stephen's mother in particular.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 57
Original post by crocker710

EDIT: This is not a defence of the MET. Jeese.

Not quite true. Two members of the public found Mr Lawrence however they were unsure what to do and merely tried to comfort him. Mr Lawrence's friend, Mr Brook, was attempting to summon the emergency services while this was happening. He was in a distressed state and was seen wondering around the phone box.

An off duty police officer, PC Geddis, was driving home from church and saw a body on the pavement. He also saw Mr Brooks running around waving his arms. Upon seeing this, PC Geddis stopped. He asked Mr Brooks what had happened and was told that Lawrence had been hit with an iron bar. PC Geddis formed the opinion that Lawrence was being attended to and it was better that he make sure the emergency services arrive.

The first police unit turned up at some point after this. One officer from this unit attended to Mr Lawrence while the other went to try and find out where the ambulance was. They had arrived with the view that Mr Lawrence had a head injury. Evidence was given by all who attended that the blood loss which Mr Lawrence suffered was not obvious until his body was lifted up by the ambulance crew. Nor were any stab wounds since Mr Lawrence was wearing 5 layers of clothing.

A short while later, some police carriers arrived. It was two officers from these carriers who decided that they were of no use at the scene and went to a Welcome Inn.

The inquiry found that racism did not play a role in the poor first aid given by the police officers. It was instead found that poor training and confusion about the injuries were to blame.

However two witnesses at the scene said this of the officers and ambulance staff: "looking back on the incident I feel that neither the police nor ambulance staff can be criticised for their actions at the scene"
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
Not quite true. Two members of the public found Mr Lawrence however they were unsure what to do and merely tried to comfort him. Mr Lawrence's friend, Mr Brook, was attempting to summon the emergency services while this was happening. He was in a distressed state and was seen wondering around the phone box.

An off duty police officer, PC Geddis, was driving home from church and saw a body on the pavement. He also saw Mr Brooks running around waving his arms. Upon seeing this, PC Geddis stopped. He asked Mr Brooks what had happened and was told that Lawrence had been hit with an iron bar. PC Geddis formed the opinion that Lawrence was being attended to and it was better that he make sure the emergency services arrive.

The first police unit turned up at some point after this. One officer from this unit attended to Mr Lawrence while the other went to try and find out where the ambulance was. They had arrived with the view that Mr Lawrence had a head injury. Evidence was given by all who attended that the blood loss which Mr Lawrence suffered was not obvious until his body was lifted up by the ambulance crew. Nor were any stab wounds since Mr Lawrence was wearing 5 layers of clothing.

A short while later, some police carriers arrived. It was two officers from these carriers who decided that they were of no use at the scene and went to a Welcome Inn.

The inquiry found that racism did not play a role in the poor first aid given by the police officers. It was instead found that poor training and confusion about the injuries were to blame.

However two witnesses at the scene said this of the officers and ambulance staff: "looking back on the incident I feel that neither the police nor ambulance staff can be criticised for their actions at the scene"

A well written response. However; I'm not quite sure if you're trying to defend the Met here? I may have been factually incorrect; but two police officers going to the pub within an hour of a stabbing because 'they're not needed' isn't acceptable; the question being raised by all of this is; if the person on the floor had been white would all of the polices efforts been put into finding the people who had committed this horrendous crime? The Macpherson enquiry found the Met police to be systematically and institutionally racist.

This is quoted from a programme on ITV right now
'after seeing the colour of his skin the police officers were more concerned with his intentions in the area rather than the attackers fleeing'
'There wasn't any first aid given; they wanted to ask me questions why my friend on the floor was dying'
'After nine minutes from the 999 call the paramedics arrived; these were the first to administer first aid. He effectively died at the side of the road'

The fact that the five men were only arrested on suspicion of murder, two weeks after the stabbing when no new evidence came to light, when Nelson Mandela made an appeal with Stephen's parents, makes you ask what they were waiting for?

Not because of racism, no. I do not agree with the concept of prejudicially-aggravated crime. A crime is a crime, from a lowly section 39 to killing with malice aforethought. IMHO The Government should repeal all the laws increasing sentence for people who commit the same offence because it was racist/ anti-gay/ anti-religion.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending