Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who else dislikes the 21st century?

Announcements Posted on
One quick question - from of our list, who would you most like to see on TSR doing a Q&A? 23-09-2014
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    OP, I agree with you, you are not alone in this
    • 48 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darklady.)
    I don't know if this is the right sub-forum, but i've had this on my mind for quite some time now. I actually dislike the 21st century, most of it is about technology and money, we are forgetting what it is like to be human and breathing the fresh air of nature. I'm not a hippy btw, but the majority of society is now shallow and obsessed with appearances than ever, which is increasing the depression rates because most are striving for perfection but are unable to obtain it, anyone who doesn't fit media perfection is outcast by the majority. But people are going to great lengths to change their appearance i.e surgery, everything is fake and synthetic about that - are we really going to have a future like this? Where you have to look perfect or you get killed? Because i feel like it is going down that road. I know this is ironic, but technology is not healthy at all, yes it is good in the short-term i.e able to do things easier, entertaining ect, but now the majority seem to be addicted to this - do people really go out anymore? Do people even communicate with full human emotion anymore? I find it pathetic they have to add vitamin D to kids cereals because they don't get it from the sun anymore. When i was a kid i used to play out every single day. The only good things i find good about the 21st century is the healthcare, and that we live longer, new science discoveries ect. But our lives have become so synthetic that everything is done for us. I think i've been born way too late, i wish i could live a simpler life.
    The problem here is that you're basing your opinion on what's wrong with the 21st century on everything you know about other time periods. Which presumably hasn't come from first-hand experience (excluding maybe a small part of the later 20th century depending on your age). You're saying that people are obsessed with materialism and money now, as if it was totally different in the past. When I can guarantee that people were just as obsesssed - if not more so - with wealth and possessions than they are today. It's just what humans do.

And you can say that society is obsessed with appearances - but what are the replies to this thread all saying? They all agree - everyone actually knows that the media has an unhealthy obsession with appearances. People think it's really forward-thinking and impressive to make a point of saying you disagree with image obsession. But actually, it's just assumed - everyone disagrees with it really. Yes, some people have plastic surgery to change their appearance, and obviously that's more common today than it used to be just because it's more possible and accessible. But just because a slightly higher proportion of people do it, that doesn't mean that the whole of society except you, thinks that people deserve to die if they aren't pretty enough. As usual, it's the vocal minority (the media) that are making it seem like their views are the majority.

To say technology is not healthy is just extremely short-sighted. Again, it's the 'glamorous' thing to say that technology is bad for us and we should all spend more time taking walks in the country. But just think for a minute. Human beings are intelligent creatures, and every single piece of technology you ever use was designed and created by humans. You're saying we don't deserve to have the benefits from things we invented? That we should deliberately restrict ourselves from things that make our lives easier and more enjoyable? What possible purpose does that serve? Of course it's not good that children are spending less time outside and so on, but really that's not as big a problem as you think it is either. How often do you see children out in the street? I see them all the time. In fact, your view that children don't play outside 'like they used to' has probably (ironically) come from the very same media that you claim to be criticising.

You think you've been born too late? You want a simpler life? Don't be so selfish. If you could communicate with anyone from a time period in the past, not a single one would tell you their life was ideal, or simple, or even enjoyable. Life is always hard. The things that make it difficult just change over time. Maybe depression is more of a problem today than it used to be, maybe that's because people spend slightly less time outdoors on average. But guess what? When people did spend time outdoors, other illnesses would have been more of a problem. And people would have died, slowly and painfully, and they wouldn't even have known what was wrong or how to treat it, because they didn't have medicine like we do. You glamorise the past because you're not there so you have an idealised view of it. If you really knew what it was like to live there, you'd come back to the present in a flash. That's why it's progress. If humans developed in such a way that life became worse rather than better over time, we'd have wiped ourselves out by now. That's just not how evolution works. In fact, if you'd like to really see what it's like to live a simple life without technology or medicine - why don't you go and spend some time in a poverty-stricken country in Africa? I'm sure the inhabitants there would gladly tell you how much better their life is than yours, and how they love the daily risk of famine and cholera, and how they're so glad that their children are forced to spend all day outside working, rather than at school or even indoors playing. If you really want to live that life, it is available to you in the 21st century, just a short distance away. Will you go and live it? Of course not. So stop complaining about how good your life is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I prefer the look of the 1950's than now :/ But I guess I'm lucky, if I was a teen in the '50s then I'd be old by now.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bellissima)
    however, i dislike the rigiditiy of society and how it seems to try and force us into a formulaic straight lined path from birth until death. born, school, work, retire, die... that is how i see things... that's how most peoples lives are... maybe you get 4 weeks off per year when you're working, if you're lucky... it just seems there isn't enough time for actually living in this society...
    This applies less to our current society than to any society in the history of humanity, albeit usually without the 'school' or 'retire' bit.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to have tried growing up in a different Era like the 70's. You are spot on though.
    I hate having to use a computer for everything, I hate how that if I delete my Facebook, I can't engage in a social event or a certain conversation (becoming increasingly) common that took place on it.

Anyone else also hate certain aspects of a smartphone I own an iPhone, and while it's great that I can watch Movies, listen to music e.t.c. anyone from school contacts me with work and stuff that needs doing which means it's impossible to escape. You leave your phone off for the weekend, you get about 20 angry people demanding while you were unable to get hold off!
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Also the Dalai Lama got this spot on about 21st Century Living... He said that the thing that surprises him is “Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    This applies less to our current society than to any society in the history of humanity, albeit usually without the 'school' or 'retire' bit.
    i think it mainly applies to people who are too poor not to work, which is most people.. however i think a lot of people just go to fast and don't take the time out to appreciate life..
    i'm not against born, school, work, die... it's how we've got to where we are today... and obviously i'm very pro-education... i just think people need to slow down a bit sometimes...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think it mainly applies to people who are too poor not to work, which is most people.. however i think a lot of people just go to fast and don't take the time out to appreciate life..
    i'm not against born, school, work, die... it's how we've got to where we are today... and obviously i'm very pro-education... i just think people need to slow down a bit sometimes...
    but as i said, this applies less to our time than to any other time, not only in the sense that the vast majority of people actually needed to work tirelessly if they didn't want to starve or freeze (no benefits, no safety net, significantly less and far more contingent charity), but also in terms of the incredible social, and quite often legal pressure, to follow a path set out for you at birth. Many past societies, including this one in past centuries, considered it actually blasphemous to aspire to a position different from that of your parents.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    but as i said, this applies less to our time than to any other time, not only in the sense that the vast majority of people actually needed to work tirelessly if they didn't want to starve or freeze (no benefits, no safety net, significantly less and far more contingent charity), but also in terms of the incredible social, and quite often legal pressure, to follow a path set out for you at birth. Many past societies, including this one in past centuries, considered it actually blasphemous to aspire to a position different from that of your parents.
    yes but we don't live in the past do we, we live in western society 2012... i am not saying you have to give up your job or stop working hard, i am saying you only have one life and there's no harm in calming down a bit and taking it slow at least once in a while.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    yes but we don't live in the past do we, we live in western society 2012... i am not saying you have to give up your job or stop working hard, i am saying you only have one life and there's no harm in calming down a bit and taking it slow at least once in a while.
    this thread is about whether the 21st century is an improvement over previous ones.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think the advances in medicine and technology somewhat offset the negative aspects. It allows you to live longer and more efficiently, but also arguably has greater stress. I think there is often the danger of looking at a past through someone's rose-tinted spectacles.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a century that will rival all of the previous centuries before it in terms of technological and space advancement. Therefore, I cannot dislike it. All of the negative add-ons that come with it are therefore not enough to make me dislike this century.

A few examples that excite me is the Technological Singluarity and advanced and rapid space exploration - the precursors to such occurrences are already in effect and such occurrences themselves will most definitely occur within this century.

Look at your mobile phone (preferably you have a recent and good technological device). In a couple of years to five years time, you will laugh at how cr@p the phone you had in 2012 was compared to the highly advanced device you will currently hold in 2015 and onwards. Indeed, 4G is already technically available (not in Europe however) and 5G and so on and so forth will arrive quicker and faster than their predecessors. I'm actually surprised that technological advancements are taking so long - I guess the very technological advancements are slowing the latent genius intellects that initiate them....

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 6, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.