The Student Room Group

Nuffield science bursary

Is anyone here applying for it?

Scroll to see replies

Yea Myt Apply
Reply 2
I did it last year if anyone's got any questions :smile:
Is it of any Benfit
im thinking of applying but havent got round to asking my teacher yet!
Reply 5
Depends on what the placement is and where you want to go with it -- it can be really good experience if you're going for a science degree, introduction to proper research technique and presentation etc, looks really good on your PS and so on. At interviews they always want to talk about what you did and what you learned.

If you're looking to into medicine or dentistry, shadowing or patient/caring experience is probably more useful, and if the placements vary in how interesting/useful they are.
Reply 6
One tip - get it in early! They start giving out placements to applicants before the official deadline so be quick if you want to guarantee yourself one :smile:

I managed to get a placement by late January as I had sent it off early December, whereas my friend who applied for a similar placement didn't get one because they'd all gone by March!
(edited 12 years ago)
I want to do Pharmacy. Will i be able do get a placement around something like that.
Reply 8
Original post by chemkid
One tip - get it in early! They start giving out placements to applicants before the official deadline so be quick if you want to guarantee yourself one :smile:

I managed to get a placement by late January as I had sent it off early December, whereas my friend who applied for a similar placement didn't get one because they'd all gone by March!

Hey , I want to do a placement for chemistry but how do i go about finding areas of palcement
Reply 9
Definitely apply - it's a great experience! Very useful for writing about on your UCAS PS.
Reply 10
Original post by Boom533
Hey I was thinking about applying, and I want to do medicine, do they assign you placements and stuff or do you select them?
Also, do you apply independantly or do the school get involved?

I think they said u have to find ur own placement but if u cant worst case scenario, they will find one but they cant guarantee it
Reply 11
Original post by Boom533
Hey I was thinking about applying, and I want to do medicine, do they assign you placements and stuff or do you select them?

You register your interest with your local co-ordinator and they will then send you a list of placements available in your area. These placements are usually within a company/hospital which has a job they need doing, and you apply to the hospital or company to fill that slot -- e.g. if a placement ding a patient satisfaction audit takes your fancy, you apply for that place and that place only.

If you don't like the idea of any of the placements they have to offer, you can set one up yourself, but few people choose to do this as it is quite difficult. The only people I met who'd done this were the sons of consultants and so on.

You need to ask a teacher to write a reference for you, and they might later get involved in you presenting your findings, but it is mostly independent -- you get yourself to the interview and your school isn't involved in your actual work.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Darwinian
You register your interest with your local co-ordinator and they will then send you a list of placements available in your area. These placements are usually within a company/hospital which has a job they need doing, and you apply to the hospital or company to fill that slot -- e.g. if a placement ding a patient satisfaction audit takes your fancy, you apply for that place and that place only.

If you don't like the idea of any of the placements they have to offer, you can set one up yourself, but few people choose to do this as it is quite difficult. The only people I met who'd done this were the sons of consultants and so on.

You need to ask a teacher to write a reference for you, and they might later get involved in you presenting your findings, but it is mostly independent -- you get yourself to the interview and your school isn't involved in your actual work.

ooh sounds good :smile: So what exactly does the project itself inviolve? Do you have to write a report/present something at the end?
Reply 13
Original post by Boom533
ooh sounds good :smile: So what exactly does the project itself inviolve? Do you have to write a report/present something at the end?

It varies a little, but for the most part you do the research/data analysis during your work hours and start writing a report in your last week. The report is around 15 to 20 pages (roughly 15000 ish words), but it fills up quickly and it's not as dauntig as you might think :smile:

Then you need to present your findings, firstly to your employers. Later, they hold an event where everyone in the country who did a Nuffield bursary presents a poster to each other, some ambassadors and so on. Sort of like a mixer.
Reply 14
Original post by Boom533

The majority of the time they assign you your placement unless you specifically state that you're going to find your own. In the application form you have to state what you're interested in so try and keep it broad so they're more likely to find a suitable placement for you. most people say that you shouldn't say you want to do medicine on the application because you won't get a placement but i wrote that i was interested to see how the other side of medicine works because as a doctor you'll be involved in research as well and it will help decide if i want to go more into academic medicine or not.
fundamentally the application is independent but you just need your school's approval due to the insurance stuff and a reference :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by chemkid
The majority of the time they assign you your placement unless you specifically state that you're going to find your own. In the application form you have to state what you're interested in so try and keep it broad so they're more likely to find a suitable placement for you. most people say that you shouldn't say you want to do medicine on the application because you won't get a placement but i wrote that i was interested to see how the other side of medicine works because as a doctor you'll be involved in research as well and it will help decide if i want to go more into academic medicine or not.
fundamentally the application is independent but you just need your school's approval due to the insurance stuff and a reference :smile:

Is applying to the NIMR suitable?
Reply 16
Original post by chignesh10
Is applying to the NIMR suitable?

The NIMR have a separate application process where you either write an essay for their essay competition and win first prize or you fill in their version of the nuffield application, send it off then get called for interviews. you should definitely check that out, they do some incredible research there :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by chemkid
The NIMR have a separate application process where you either write an essay for their essay competition and win first prize or you fill in their version of the nuffield application, send it off then get called for interviews. you should definitely check that out, they do some incredible research there :smile:

I am guessing ur doing chemistry at uni?
Also, which one if u r?
do u have to write an essay or can you just send an application off? How hard is it to become succesfull?
Reply 18
Original post by chignesh10
I am guessing ur doing chemistry at uni?
Also, which one if u r?
do u have to write an essay or can you just send an application off? How hard is it to become succesfull?

Nope. applying for medicine at uni this year :smile: i was considering chemistry because it's amazing but i wouldn't really enjoy any jobs relating to that at the end of it.

you can do either of them but if you do the application make sure you get the NIMR specific one off their site. it's basically the same as the official nuffield one but just filled out with NIMR details. I think it's harder to get a placement at the NIMR because there are only a few places available and because of the interviews etc... if you're not fussy about where the placement is then you should just apply to the main nuffield one, specify your area of interest and let them find you one. you're more likely to get a placement if you do it that way.

if you need any help just let me know :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by chemkid
Nope. applying for medicine at uni this year :smile: i was considering chemistry because it's amazing but i wouldn't really enjoy any jobs relating to that at the end of it.

you can do either of them but if you do the application make sure you get the NIMR specific one off their site. it's basically the same as the official nuffield one but just filled out with NIMR details. I think it's harder to get a placement at the NIMR because there are only a few places available and because of the interviews etc... if you're not fussy about where the placement is then you should just apply to the main nuffield one, specify your area of interest and let them find you one. you're more likely to get a placement if you do it that way.

if you need any help just let me know :smile:

Can i send an application to the main nuffield one and the NIMR one? Did u do the nuffield science bursary? Where did u apply?

Quick Reply

Latest