The Student Room Group

I'm concerned that my boyfriend could be gay, am I just paranoid?

I don't quite understand why this nagging feeling won't go away because he's amazing in every way. But some things gave me a little cause for concern from the start.

On one of our early dates he joked about 'not being gay' (and this immediately set alarm bells ringing, as the only person I know that used to repeat this has just come out!). He talked about an 'attractive' male he knew, and when I joked about being concerned, he said he was comfortable enough in his sexuality to say so. He has done the same with some male actors, and never comments on hot females (although he is quite shy as it is). At one point he put up a profile pic on fb with a guy with his arm around him...I just got an odd feeling which I couldn't shake off, then when he went away for a weekend and returned, I found out a gay friend had been with him (as long as other friends, people that I know too). I eventually expressed the concern and he was quite taken aback, saying 'wow...I didn't know you'd actually been thinking about this seriously' and said that having gay friends didn't make him gay (not that I said it did). He then joked that I had something against meterosexuals...

About a week later at a party a mutual male friend tackled another friend to the ground and he joked that it was 'hot'. I looked at him with complete disgust, and he just said 'oh come on!' as if I was taking it too seriously. I'm lucky in the way that he's the most romantic boyfriend, ie. arranging candles for me but will say things like 'I'm not sure how the scent blends with the other candle...:smile:' and I'll just be thinking...what.

Aside from all this, he's incredible in every way (also gives me the best orgasms), maybe more so than any past boyfriend, so maybe I'm just picking holes. I hear from him every day, he's always planning great things for us to do, and he's assured me there is nothing more to his jokey comments but still. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any thoughts?
Reply 3

Well I don't want to destory the relationship. I did say to him (with him knowing fine well what I was talking about), If there's something you need to tell me, then please tell me now...and he said there wasn't. I said, well it's a bit odd that on a couple of occasions you've said you're 'not gay' out of the blue, having not even being accused and he said 'well there must have been some sort of context!' But never the actual statement 'I am not gay'.

The thing about him saying I had something against meterosexuals got to me as well. I've never hung around with many men with such qualities, so may be mistaking that for being gay but I don't know. what do you think about some of the above things ^?

(this nagging feeling isn't consistent, but never goes away completely)
Commenting that a guy is attractive does not necessarily mean someone is gay. Making "camp" comments does not necessarily mean someone is gay. Having gay friends does not necessarily mean someone is gay. My point is that I don't think there are "gay" characteristics as such, which means it's impossible for anyone to answer your question, other than your boyfriend himself of course. If you're asking whether I would be worried if I were you, then again I think it's difficult to say from what you've said. I'm normally all for trusting your instincts, but as I said there's only one person who knows the answer to your question (and even he himself could not be sure)!
Reply 5
Wait til you've both had a few drinks, chat about ur fantasies and ask if he's ever thought of having sex with a bloke? What are you going to do if it does turn out that he's bi. Are you comfortable enough to be with a bi guy? It doesn't sound like it. Do you not trust him? If you don't like his characteristics then don't be with him?

I've been with a Bi girl in the past and been fine with it caus she was seeing me and only me, although I think girls and girls is fairly hot haha.
Reply 6
Original post by Georgiahoneybee
Commenting that a guy is attractive does not necessarily mean someone is gay. Making "camp" comments does not necessarily mean someone is gay. Having gay friends does not necessarily mean someone is gay. My point is that I don't think there are "gay" characteristics as such, which means it's impossible for anyone to answer your question, other than your boyfriend himself of course. If you're asking whether I would be worried if I were you, then again I think it's difficult to say from what you've said. I'm normally all for trusting your instincts, but as I said there's only one person who knows the answer to your question (and even he himself could not be sure)!

I suppose your last point is the thing that upsets me most. Even though he's *almost* said he's definitely not, if he's not even sure himself, then how will I ever know AND in turn how can I ever relax.

I definitely never had these doubts at first. When it came to the gut feeling I felt completely at ease with him...:smile: The other thing is that he hasn't had a girlfriend for three or four years before me because 'he never found anyone he had anything in common with' but he's such a catch I find it a bit odd. I think he maybe has some more effeminate qualities, and having never really been around a man like this romantically it's throwing me off.

Oh help. :frown:
Maybe he's bi? I think everyone is kind of bi but just are on different positions on the scale - I doubt anyone can be COMPLETELY straight or COMPLETELY gay o.O

I think you should just leave it be - if he knows you're concerned and was trying to cover up, he would completely stop doing anything like that, but because it's just his personality, he's continuing. I doubt you have anything to worry about... If he really cares for you, he wouldn't lead you on like that.

And oh, my boyfriend has done that thing about commenting on guys rather than girls and I do it about girls all of the time - I think because I feel awkward talking about other guys around him and I guess he feels the same about discussing other girls being good-looking around me.
Reply 8
Original post by Kemik
Wait til you've both had a few drinks, chat about ur fantasies and ask if he's ever thought of having sex with a bloke? What are you going to do if it does turn out that he's bi. Are you comfortable enough to be with a bi guy? It doesn't sound like it. Do you not trust him? If you don't like his characteristics then don't be with him?

I've been with a Bi girl in the past and been fine with it caus she was seeing me and only me, although I think girls and girls is fairly hot haha.

I'm not sure what I'd do if he was. And the odd, throw away comments me makes sometimes leads me to think he wouldn't even be certain of it himself. Of course this could all be down to not being comfortable with someone with these characteristics...and not wanting to admit it because I like him so much. I've never had someone make me laugh or care as much as he does. The thing is he's quite a shy guy so I don't even see him telling me about said fantasty even if he had...

I should be fine because he's with me and only me, I do trust him not to cheat, and he says he loves being with me...so I don't know why I still have this feeling. Thanks for your help.
Reply 9
Original post by Midnight-Sky-Blue
Maybe he's bi? I think everyone is kind of bi but just are on different positions on the scale - I doubt anyone can be COMPLETELY straight or COMPLETELY gay o.O

I think you should just leave it be - if he knows you're concerned and was trying to cover up, he would completely stop doing anything like that, but because it's just his personality, he's continuing. I doubt you have anything to worry about... If he really cares for you, he wouldn't lead you on like that.

And oh, my boyfriend has done that thing about commenting on guys rather than girls and I do it about girls all of the time - I think because I feel awkward talking about other guys around him and I guess he feels the same about discussing other girls being good-looking around me.

Hey. Well, yeah, I kind of agree. I have experimented with girls in the past, but wouldn't as a result describe myself as bi. He joked about how he would just make comments about 'attractive men' to annoy me :wink:, but hasn't so far.

Well that's what I thought - that he wouldn't lead me on, as he seems to be the most honest and nicest guy I've met in a while. But on the other hand, what if Georgiahoneybee is right, and he doesn't know it himself?
Original post by Anonymous
Hey. Well, yeah, I kind of agree. I have experimented with girls in the past, but wouldn't as a result describe myself as bi. He joked about how he would just make comments about 'attractive men' to annoy me :wink:, but hasn't so far.

Well that's what I thought - that he wouldn't lead me on, as he seems to be the most honest and nicest guy I've met in a while. But on the other hand, what if Georgiahoneybee is right, and he doesn't know it himself?

Tbh, even if he doesn't know it himself, I think the result is going to be that he's straight or bi. I think he seems happy enough in your relationship that he's not completely gay and him being bi isn't really a big deal then. As long as he's still happy with you, it won't make a difference. It sounds like he's happy with just going along with things and not really questioning his sexuality and I guess it would be best if you just accepted that or else it may feel like you're trying to find problems with your relationship and could concern him.

If I were you, I'd just leave it and if it really concerns you, maybe sit down and talk about it again. Like I said, I highly doubt he's gay if he's so comfortable with you and if he is bi, it would be good that he knows that he has your support :smile:
Reply 11
Tbh, even if he doesn't know it himself, I think the result is going to be that he's straight or bi. I think he seems happy enough in your relationship that he's not completely gay and him being bi isn't really a big deal then. As long as he's still happy with you, it won't make a difference. It sounds like he's happy with just going along with things and not really questioning his sexuality and I guess it would be best if you just accepted that or else it may feel like you're trying to find problems with your relationship and could concern him.

If I were you, I'd just leave it and if it really concerns you, maybe sit down and talk about it again. Like I said, I highly doubt he's gay if he's so comfortable with you and if he is bi, it would be good that he knows that he has your support :smile:

Yeah, this has already begun to happen. He ended up wanting to have a talk because he had a gut feeling that something was wrong/ I wasn't happy with him. I was quite taken aback.

He says he is comfortable...but sometimes he says it a lot and I feel like he doth protest too much. It drives me mad because I know I need to leave it or I will screw things up...but also want to make sure I have a clear picture of the relationship.
Yeah, this has already begun to happen. He ended up wanting to have a talk because he had a gut feeling that something was wrong/ I wasn't happy with him. I was quite taken aback.

He says he is comfortable...but sometimes he says it a lot and I feel like he doth protest too much. It drives me mad because I know I need to leave it or I will screw things up...but also want to make sure I have a clear picture of the relationship.

Hun, I don't think there is anything you can do... He knows you're concerned and trust me, now he's aware so he will make sure that he is careful about this all. But I think the fact that he wanted to talk to you about his concerns shows that you do have a good relationship and I doubt he'd just be leading you on if he wanted to fix it.

Unfortunately you can only just wait and see what happens, but if I was in your shoes, I'd just accept that it's his personality and having already talked to him about it, I'd just enjoy the relationship. Because if you keep trying to get a 'clear picture of the relationship' you will push him away without any good reason. Just trust him when he says that he likes you - so what if he may like guys too...he won't leave you for them hopefully, just like he wouldn't leave you for any other girls hopefully :smile: He wouldn't be so dedicated to your relationship if he was completely gay :smile:
Reply 13
I don't quite understand why this nagging feeling won't go away because he's amazing in every way. But some things gave me a little cause for concern from the start.

On one of our early dates he joked about 'not being gay' (and this immediately set alarm bells ringing, as the only person I know that used to repeat this has just come out!). He talked about an 'attractive' male he knew, and when I joked about being concerned, he said he was comfortable enough in his sexuality to say so. He has done the same with some male actors, and never comments on hot females (although he is quite shy as it is). At one point he put up a profile pic on fb with a guy with his arm around him...I just got an odd feeling which I couldn't shake off, then when he went away for a weekend and returned, I found out a gay friend had been with him (as long as other friends, people that I know too). I eventually expressed the concern and he was quite taken aback, saying 'wow...I didn't know you'd actually been thinking about this seriously' and said that having gay friends didn't make him gay (not that I said it did). He then joked that I had something against meterosexuals...

About a week later at a party a mutual male friend tackled another friend to the ground and he joked that it was 'hot'. I looked at him with complete disgust, and he just said 'oh come on!' as if I was taking it too seriously. I'm lucky in the way that he's the most romantic boyfriend, ie. arranging candles for me but will say things like 'I'm not sure how the scent blends with the other candle...:smile:' and I'll just be thinking...what.

Aside from all this, he's incredible in every way (also gives me the best orgasms), maybe more so than any past boyfriend, so maybe I'm just picking holes. I hear from him every day, he's always planning great things for us to do, and he's assured me there is nothing more to his jokey comments but still. What do you think?

He probably does his gardening up-hill.
I think if he was completely gay he wouldn't be so dedicated to your relationship. I think you need to relax about it, he clearly likes you a lot and if you pursue it much further you're at risk of ruining the relationship.
What do you think?

He sounds metrosexual although he is also possibly bi but has not acted on those feelings.
Reply 16
Hun, I don't think there is anything you can do... He knows you're concerned and trust me, now he's aware so he will make sure that he is careful about this all. But I think the fact that he wanted to talk to you about his concerns shows that you do have a good relationship and I doubt he'd just be leading you on if he wanted to fix it.

Unfortunately you can only just wait and see what happens, but if I was in your shoes, I'd just accept that it's his personality and having already talked to him about it, I'd just enjoy the relationship. Because if you keep trying to get a 'clear picture of the relationship' you will push him away without any good reason. Just trust him when he says that he likes you - so what if he may like guys too...he won't leave you for them hopefully, just like he wouldn't leave you for any other girls hopefully :smile: He wouldn't be so dedicated to your relationship if he was completely gay :smile:

I know that last sentence is meant to sound reassuring, but seeing as I would much just rather he was straight...it's not exactly, ha ha. Better than what I'm worried about though, I suppose.

He does seem dedicated. He seems to really care about me, and maybe I do just need to try in him more.

Oh my god he had a profile pic of him and another guy and spent time with his gay friend when you were away... he MUST be gay.

Seriously though, what are you smoking, OP? :lolwut:
Reply 18
Original post by tehFrance
He sounds metrosexual although he is also possibly bi but has not acted on those feelings.

I'm almost certain he's never acted on them, if they were to be the case.

What is meterosexual...exactly? Because while I thought it was being caught up in your appearance, it's not something he agonises over at all. So I don't understand why he thinks he is.
Reply 19
Original post by innerhollow
Oh my god he had a profile pic of him and another guy and spent time with his gay friend when you were away... he MUST be gay.

Seriously though, what are you smoking, OP? :lolwut:

:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending