The Student Room Group

London 2012 Retail Job Interview

Hi! I applied for a retail job as a sales assistant during the 2012 Olympic Games. :biggrin:
I've now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre this Thursday after passing the online application/test as well as the phone pre-screen. :cool:

This is my first time attending one of these Assessment Centres and from what I've read online, employers evaluate everything the applicants do.

Has anyone else attended an Assessment Centre for the London 2012 retail jobs (specifically)?
What were you required to do? Any tips? :s-smilie:
Also, what should I wear? As it is for a retail job, I was thinking of going Semi-formal.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Ooh, I got invited to the Assessment Centre too, for the 2012 Olympic Games! :biggrin: Yay us! But mine's in a couple of weeks time...
I literally have no idea what to expect either. I know its a one-to-one session and its gonna be held in the ExCel centre, so I'm thinking a LOT of people applied :s-smilie:
I know for retail roles its important to emphasise customer service. But would really appreciate any other advice, any advice, from anyone lol. And RYNLPZ good luck! Let me know how it goes :smile:
Reply 2
Is this with Manpower? I went to an assessment for them and it was pretty straightforward.

Basically we were given a short presentation, then split up into groups and were given two tasks. The first was a team-working one, they gave us a stick of bamboo and we had to get it to the floor in a certain amount of time balancing it on our fingers. I think they were assessing how good we were at negotiating and working in a team (obviously), they then asked questions about the task. Then there was a table full of different Olympic merchandise and we had to give a short presentation about the product. Then we were given questions to answer about our product. Also we were asked questions about other people in our group, like who's product would you most likely buy and who we thought was a good team leader etc.
I think we spent most of our time filling out forms and listening to presentations! I'd say the actual assessment was 30 minutes tops, for my group anyway.

I'd say dress semi-formal. Some people turned up in jeans and trainers and some came in suits. It's always best to overestimate what you're going to wear because then it kind of looks like you've put more effort in?

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by cultlogic
Is this with Manpower? I went to an assessment for them and it was pretty straightforward.

Basically we were given a short presentation, then split up into groups and were given two tasks. The first was a team-working one, they gave us a stick of bamboo and we had to get it to the floor in a certain amount of time balancing it on our fingers. I think they were assessing how good we were at negotiating and working in a team (obviously), they then asked questions about the task.

Yes, this is with Manpower :biggrin: The first task you mentioned sounds good; fun actually which is surprise!
Only because this is my first Assessment Centre (never heard of it before this).

Where was your Assessment held?

Original post by cultlogic
Then there was a table full of different Olympic merchandise and we had to give a short presentation about the product. Then we were given questions to answer about our product. Also we were asked questions about other people in our group, like who's product would you most likely buy and who we thought was a good team leader etc.

What kind of products did they have on the table?
Were you allowed to choose what product you wanted or were you designated one?
Also, what was your product and what did you say about it? :redface:

Thank you for your reply.
I'm glad there's someone else who's applied for the job :smile:

So what happens after the Assessment? When do you hear back from them?
Reply 4
Sorry I didn't reply before your assessment! How did you find it?
Mine was held at Newham College.
Original post by RYNLPZ

Original post by RYNLPZ
Hi! I applied for a retail job as a sales assistant during the 2012 Olympic Games. :biggrin:
I've now been invited to attend an Assessment Centre this Thursday after passing the online application/test as well as the phone pre-screen. :cool:

This is my first time attending one of these Assessment Centres and from what I've read online, employers evaluate everything the applicants do.

Has anyone else attended an Assessment Centre for the London 2012 retail jobs (specifically)?
What were you required to do? Any tips? :s-smilie:
Also, what should I wear? As it is for a retail job, I was thinking of going Semi-formal.

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Hi iv got an interview too tomorrow though,
i dont know what to expect? did u already have yours now? how was it?
tx
Reply 6
HELP!!! I also have the interview tomorrow and I'm really nervous. Does anyone know if the presentations we are going to be asked to do are going to be performed individually or as a group? Is there any questions they will ask me?

Adding further stress to my preparation, Ive missed placed my NI number, do you think it would be okay for me to tell them I will send them a copy of it when I recieve it?
Reply 7
how and when did you guys apply? i'm intrested to find out.. let me know x
Reply 8
My career advisor in my school sent a link to the job to everyone before Christmas.
Nice! I went onto seetec website where you put your detail for the 2012 london jobs also I live in Newham of brough, plus I really in need job!
Reply 10
Original post by misssasha1
HELP!!! I also have the interview tomorrow and I'm really nervous. Does anyone know if the presentations we are going to be asked to do are going to be performed individually or as a group? Is there any questions they will ask me?

Adding further stress to my preparation, Ive missed placed my NI number, do you think it would be okay for me to tell them I will send them a copy of it when I recieve it?

I've also been to one of these assessment days and successfully got through :biggrin:. They'll be fine with you not having your NI number as other candidates never had theirs and they just said e-mail it at a previous date.

& Read previous comments with regards to presentations.
(edited 12 years ago)
Can I ask how did you apply for this job?

thanks
Ok where do they give your assessment is it at newham college?
Will phone them up tomorrow wish me luck!
Reply 13
Thank you to those who answered my questions earlier.

I had my assessment today in Farringdon; it was much more relaxed and easier than what I thought it would be. After being split up, my group had to team excercises like tthe bamboo activity someone posted on here a couple of days ago. After, we were told to pick an item from a table with Olympic merchandise and we were given scenarios and told to sell the product to the lady that was interviewing us.

For those who have yet to attend their assessment, just be prepared to answer questions such as 'how would you approach a customer?', what woukd you change about the activity you just did?', but just know that your interviewer will not ask everyone the same questions, you may be asked one really easy question

Good luck to you all and please wish me luck - I will find out if I was successful on Friday
Reply 14
Sorry for not replying quick enough.

Misssasha1 and Cultlogic mentioned practically everything that you need to be prepared for during you assessment.

Just remember that everyone their wants a job and will do almost anything to better their chances. During the Bamboo Stick game/test, some people in my group were yelling at and blaming others instead of talking to the group as a whole (that definitely shows they can work in a team ha!!!).

One thing I'll add is to make sure you bring all the required documents especially your Passport (Original and Photocopy). Everyone in my group except myself managed to forget something e.g. Proof of Residence. I think they were told to visit another address the next day to give them the missing papers.
Reply 15
To those who have had their assessment already, how long did it take for you to find out if you were successful or not?
Reply 16
I had my interview on Wednesday and received a reply via email today. Thankfully I have got in and I just have to wait 8 weeks for the accreditation process to be completed :smile:
Reply 17
I also had my assessment on Wednesday and found out today that I was successful. IM SOOOO HAPPY!!!

TempleQC what time was your assessment? If it was at 3.30 was you in Nicola's group?
Is it true that they contact you in 2 weeks time?
Reply 19
I was contacted via email two days after my assessment.

Lemony, I'm not sure if my message was sent to you.

Quick Reply