The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

What date should I apply for accommodation by to get my choice?

And which halls do you guys recommend? I applied for deferred and I already have a place but am only going to visit Manchester for the first time next month...stupid I know. Do I need to get my accommodation application in before I've even visited to ensure I get the halls I want?
Whenever really. Best to get it out of the way early just so you don't have to think of it any more. I recommend going to the open house event in March so you can view the accommodation you're interested in first hand
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I'm curious about this as well, this will be my second time at university (dropped out due to medical reasons a few years back) and so I don't think I'm guaranteed a place in halls. So I want to apply ASAP as I'm assuming that will give me a better chance of getting a place in halls.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr Ben
I'm curious about this as well, this will be my second time at university (dropped out due to medical reasons a few years back) and so I don't think I'm guaranteed a place in halls. So I want to apply ASAP as I'm assuming that will give me a better chance of getting a place in halls.

If you are starting your first year in 2012 then the accommodation gurantee still applies to you. You'll be treated as a new undergraduate despite your previous study.
Reply 4
Original post by TheFoxBlip
If you are starting your first year in 2012 then the accommodation gurantee still applies to you. You'll be treated as a new undergraduate despite your previous study.

Really? That's fantastic news! I assumed new undergraduate meant people who've never studied an undergrad degree before. Thanks very much for the info, it's made my day. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by Mr Ben
Really? That's fantastic news! I assumed new undergraduate meant people who've never studied an undergrad degree before. Thanks very much for the info, it's made my day. :biggrin:

yeah I'm in a similar situation, having attended York back in 2006 but didn't like it so dropped out after the 1st year. But it's irrelevant for starting a new course, clean slate.
Reply 6
don't think there's any select date, just apply whenever, although if you do leave it too late there is a chance they will stick you in a PG accommodation or private halls.

I applied early as I thought it would boost my chance of getting my first or second choice (ensuites), it didn't. I know people who applied at the same time and got ensuites and I know people who applied in like june and got their first choice, there is no guarantee.

But you will most probably love what you get anyway, it's the people that make the place, not the buildings :smile:
Reply 7
I actually applied for entry for 2011 but had to defer for personal reasons. I applied for accommodation in June 2011 and was offered my first choice. So there shouldn't be any panic about applying right now.
Reply 8
taylorg292
And which halls do you guys recommend? I applied for deferred and I already have a place but am only going to visit Manchester for the first time next month...stupid I know. Do I need to get my accommodation application in before I've even visited to ensure I get the halls I want?

I can't really recommend a hall since my hall was St Anselm's Hall - an all guys hall. It depends what you want from a hall really.

I advise applying as soon as you've been to the open house event.

You can apply earlier than that, but you then haven't seen the accommodation.

You can apply later than that, but you may not end up with your preferred accommodation.

Try to whittle down the accommodation by four key factors - the size of the room, the campus it's located in, whether or not it has ensuite facilities and whether or not it is catered.

This will make the selection process much easier, as there's no way to see all the accommodation on the open house event.

Darren

PS: It is possible to apply early and still not get your first choice. Their main priority is ensuring they have sufficient numbers for all the halls across campus and then they take your individual choices into account.
Reply 9
I think I'll wait till I've had a look round some of the halls before I apply then, I really want an ensuite but if it's not first come first served I won't panic about getting it in.
Reply 10
taylorg292
I think I'll wait till I've had a look round some of the halls before I apply then, I really want an ensuite but if it's not first come first served I won't panic about getting it in.

I think I've misled you a bit there. It is first come, first served. However, some halls are particularly undersubscribed - hence if you put it down your application form they may put you in it, despite it not being your first choice.

Also, I recommend that you have a look at the online application form for accommodation now and figure out what you will need to complete it. It will save hassle later on.

Darren

PS: Please quote me for a response.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending