The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Accommodation Replies

I know it might seem a little early as there are still offers to be given etc. but I was wondering if anyone knew when those with unconditional offers find out what halls/other accommodation they have been allocated?

I applied as normal last year, got my offer, got the grades and accepted my place at UCL with a gap year first. I was told that the situation would be the same as if I had been given an unconditional offer after applying this year and would be one of the first applications to be looked at for halls along with others in my position and international applicants.

It's probably still months off but I thought I'd check at least as the forms only have the usual "if you accept and get the grades then you should hear by..."

Btw - for anyone interested - I'll be doing linguistics BA and have applied with Connaught Hall and International Hall as my two main preferences.
Reply 1
Captain Oz

Btw - for anyone interested - I'll be doing linguistics BA and have applied with Connaught Hall and International Hall as my two main preferences.

Why? (I'm not criticising, just curious, as I have no idea what mine are)

Also, is it to one's advantage to apply as early as possible for accommodation?

Sorry if I answered with 2 questions and no answers :p:
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
jb_sweden
Why? (I'm not criticising, just curious, as I have no idea what mine are)

Also, is it to one's advantage to apply as early as possible for accommodation?

Sorry if I answered with 2 questions and no answers :p:

I chose the halls because they looked nicer than Ramsey. Also, Connaught hall is really close to everything. The rooms looked nice on Student 360 as well :smile:

I was told that, after those really in need of accommodation (international students etc) it was a case of first come, first served. I could be wrong but, to be safe, I sent mine back the day after it came in the post!

As for the course - I just really enjoyed english language A level :biggrin:
Reply 3
Where do you write your two preferences? I have the form and have looked over it but as far as I can see, you only get to be as detailed as what qualities you want from your accommodation, but don't get to write specific residences down... :confused: Maybe I didn't look closely enough...

*goes to check form...*
you don't except for intercollegiate halls which reminds me i really need to get some id photo's and send this form off it's been on my desk for 3 months
Reply 5
( I screwed up two forms: firstly, I didn't fit an entry in the box, which made it look awful, wasn't much of a big deal as I had an extra form. Secondly, I screwed up by writing half the form by not using block capitals. So I had UCL send me a third form. Kinda amusing I must say, I hope no one counts how many accommodation forms they've sent :p: )

I have another question (uhm): What's the difference between Halls of Residence and Intercollegiate Halls? Is it primarily only that the last mentioned has students from other UoL colleges?

Which is the place for happy beer drinking, social events and where you scream "hey... for the last time.. turn the music UP!" ?
Reply 6
I'm going to study at UCl next year, but I was wondering in the accomodation booklet we cannot specify any preference for the self catering halls at ucl. Is there anything one can do to put down a preference such as visiting the specific hall you want to go to?
Reply 7
Personally, I'm all for self-catered (because of the en-suites) but my mom managed to convince me to go for catered because being the unhealthy me - I never have breakfast and if I know there there is breakfast waiting for me, I will take advantage over it.

Chose Intercollegiate as my first choice (International and Canterbury respectively), UCL Catered, Self Catered then Residence. Still have to take my passport pictures though ....

Really hope I get I.H. My other friend who's also going to UCL is applying for self-catered and my other friends who are going to Kings and LSE are all applying to I.H. too. I know the whole point of going to uni is to meet new people .. but still hahah.. it's nice to know that you have other people there :smile:
Reply 8
How long did it take for you guys to get the Accommodation information sent home after you got your offers?
Reply 9
I got mine in a letter saying that the sender would recommend me to the faculty.
Reply 10
I got mine with my offer letter and already had one that I'd picked up from UCL's office when I'd visited to have a look at the accomodation
Reply 11
OK, cool. So where's the best (and by best I mean cheapest) place to stay? I haven't looked at accommodation at all, all I know is I prefer self-catered.
Reply 12
From what I read the ones on Gower Street were the cheapest, but someone from UCL will obviously know whether they are actually any good or not
Reply 13
Captain Oz
I know it might seem a little early as there are still offers to be given etc. but I was wondering if anyone knew when those with unconditional offers find out what halls/other accommodation they have been allocated?

I applied as normal last year, got my offer, got the grades and accepted my place at UCL with a gap year first. I was told that the situation would be the same as if I had been given an unconditional offer after applying this year and would be one of the first applications to be looked at for halls along with others in my position and international applicants.

It's probably still months off but I thought I'd check at least as the forms only have the usual "if you accept and get the grades then you should hear by..."

i'm in the same position as you. They said i should geta reply in July.
Reply 14
What do you guys think would happen if I put down TSR as my interest on the accommodation form? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Don't think u'll hear til at least July

Latest

Trending

Trending