The Student Room Group

DSAs

Does anyone know what happens if you have been awarded DSAs fro part time study and don't complete your degree within the specified time frame? I had a couple of false starts at a campus univeristy and now am with OU. OU can't advise me what would happen with the DSAs I had at campus university if I don't complete degree within 6 years of first being awarded it. Have emailed student finance but they take forever to reply and usually give some random non relevant response!

What happens if you drop out entirely? Do you have to pay back and if so are they open to monthly payments as I don't have a penny to my name!
Reply 1
DSA is a non-repayable grant so you do not repay it even if you fail to complete the course. They might as for equipment back if you leave, however.

You shouldn't have problems with DSA. It should be there for all years if study as you rely on it due to disability and you are studying a course of sufficient intensity.

It took me six years to complete my degree (plus two years withdrawn). In the sixth year, as I already received the maximum five years of student support, I was not entitled to tuition fee or means tested grants, only the loan and DSA support. I appealed on the grounds that There were medical reasons that made me take longer than five years to complete the degree and provided medical evidence. I was granted support. This is not really relevant to your situation, as I believe you are entitled to DSA for the full six years despite previous study and funding.

The equipment you will receive might be affected though. If you were given equipment through previous DSA, and this equipment us in working order and reasonably up to date, you might not get the similar equipment for your new course (e.g. A PC if you received one through DSA previously)
Reply 2
Original post by River85

The equipment you will receive might be affected though. If you were given equipment through previous DSA, and this equipment us in working order and reasonably up to date, you might not get the similar equipment for your new course (e.g. A PC if you received one through DSA previously)

I was told this too. I was given equipment (software, a desk and chair) that I hadn't previously been given.

Quick Reply

Latest