The Student Room Group

Is £9000 enough to support me on my masters?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Don't dismiss such a suggestion. Try doing a job where you are stressed-out and your work-life balance is out of kilter, like many people in today's workplace. A good holiday is a great investment in your wellbeing if you can afford it.

If you are a bit more ambitious and "travel" for an extended period to justify spending 9kGBP then your experiences may be of great benefit in your future.

Postgrad education is one investment in yourself. There are others. Get out and see a bit of the world if you haven't already.

TBD

Original post by Zorg
I hear there are fantastic returns on this. Go for it.
Reply 21
Original post by TBD
Don't dismiss such a suggestion. Try doing a job where you are stressed-out and your work-life balance is out of kilter, like many people in today's workplace. A good holiday is a great investment in your wellbeing if you can afford it.

If you are a bit more ambitious and "travel" for an extended period to justify spending 9kGBP then your experiences may be of great benefit in your future.

Postgrad education is one investment in yourself. There are others. Get out and see a bit of the world if you haven't already.

TBD

Easy on. There's a great difference between travelling and going on holiday if you ask me. Also, for a vast number of jobs going travelling isn't as useful as a masters course.

On the topic of if you can afford it, if the OP has £9000 saved up and wishes to do a masters course I'd say he's far from being able to afford to go travelling.

In essence, my point is travelling is not a substitute for a masters course in many cases. To be honest this is a moot point until the OP actually mentions what area he is studying in.
Reply 22
aeterno
x

da_comeback
x

Guys, please don't let this thread descend into a personal fight between the two of you.:erm: I've just binned quite a few of your posts, but I'd like to avoid having to lock the thread if possible, because the cost of a one-year masters course is a perfectly legitimate topic and it's likely to be of interest to many other applicants.
Reply 23
Original post by hobnob
Guys, please don't let this thread descend into a personal fight between the two of you.:erm: I've just binned quite a few of your posts, but I'd like to avoid having to lock the thread if possible, because the cost of a one-year masters course is a perfectly legitimate topic and it's likely to be of interest to many other applicants.

Thank you/.
Reply 24
Original post by TBD
To arrive at the figure quoted I simply factored-in the unknown tutition fees, the latent lifestyle, the missing location, the unstated expenses, the omitted rent, the domestic dependency.:rolleyes:

If you want a meaningful answer: put as much effort in the question as you expect respondents to put into the answer.

TBD

I would think your analysis is flawed since it's biased to you and doesn't not hold any evidence that it could be used by others. So I'd reject this.
Reply 25
The original poster asked a question that could not possibly be reasonably answered without further detail. You can waste your time trying to extract it if you like while the OP simply benefits for minimal effort on his part.

Just for the record there is no analysis in my post, simply a sarcastic reposte to stupid question.

Next question please. How about: "Which university is the best ?"

TBD

Original post by kka25
I would think your analysis is flawed since it's biased to you and doesn't not hold any evidence that it could be used by others. So I'd reject this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by TBD
The original poster asked a question that could not possibly be reasonably answered without further detail. You can waste your time trying to extract it if you like while the OP simply benefits for minimal effort on his part.

Just for the record there is no analysis in my post, simply a sarcastic reposte to stupid question.

Next question please. How about: "Which university is the best ?"

TBD

What a sad child you are.
Reply 27
Original post by da_comeback

He might be acting like a prick but he has a point. You can't expect a decent answer if you don't give enough information, or in this case almost no information.
Reply 28
Original post by Zorg
He might be acting like a prick but he has a point. You can't expect a decent answer if you don't give enough information, or in this case almost no information.

Well the course fees are like £3360
The accomdation costs I have no idea but its in staffordshire.
Im not sure if there are additional costs incurred
Reply 29

OK, that means it's a question of whether you honestly think you'll be able to live on a budget of £50-100 per month (which is roughly how much you'll have left, depending on how much exactly you end up paying for your accommodation, including electricity, heating, water and internet access). That's £50-100 for all your other expenses, including food, meaning you'd have to live very frugally indeed in order to manage. And if you can't live without alcohol and/or cigarettes, it'll be pretty much impossible, because that would eat up too much of your budget for you to be able to survive on the rest.
Reply 30
I hope you are more gracious with your research respondents if you ever get to ask them any questions. Somehow I think framing a reasonable question is the least of your problems. Good luck.

TBD

Even if it isn't, you won't utilise and put into practise any advice given, so what's the point in answering?
Reply 32
Original post by DanielMartin
Even if it isn't, you won't utilise and put into practise any advice given, so what's the point in answering?

Urmm what makes you think I wont? x
If you work a few days a week as well then yes....
Reply 34
Original post by TBD
I hope you are more gracious with your research respondents if you ever get to ask them any questions. Somehow I think framing a reasonable question is the least of your problems. Good luck.

TBD

Are you sure about that? Please make your observations in real life rather then on TSR.

Anyway what more information do you want to awnser the question? Im happy for you to ask, which you should have done in the first place. Not instantly bemoan my thread as superficial and lacking in detail....
Reply 35
Even with the two major expenses identified: assume about 400 quid a month for accom leaves you just 1640GBP to live on a for year. I think that is simply not feasible without additional funding. I wouldn't consider this as a single young guy without at least 100quid
a week to buy food, travel and sundries. So you need about a minimum an extra 4k IMO just to live frugally. If it were me, I would look for a part time job that even if low paid may provide some benefit-in-kind such as food or even accom to bring down the total.

TBD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending