Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

London Olympics orientation training in feb 2012... who's going?

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resentment.)
    sweet, anything we need to do to prepare for it?
    and what happens/what is the day about?
    No prep needed.

Just turn up (earlier the better, queuing in the freezing cold for half an hour is NOT fun) and enjoy it. You get some nice surprises with regards to who they have on stage and occasionally there are some bits of actual information. The rest is just crap they have to chuck in.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The weather forecast for tomorrow may affect your journey, so please make sure you plan your route and get to Wembley in plenty of time.
    Email they sent, looks like its defo still happening tomorrow.
    Whether we can get there or not is another thing.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davott)
    No prep needed.

Just turn up (earlier the better, queuing in the freezing cold for half an hour is NOT fun) and enjoy it. You get some nice surprises with regards to who they have on stage and occasionally there are some bits of actual information. The rest is just crap they have to chuck in.
    So i dont really need to turn up? I really hate concerts and that kind of thing.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by makingamemory)
    uh oh, it's snowing in London (well SW london)
    ****!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    uh oh, it's snowing in London (well SW london)

(Original post by Davott)
    No prep needed.

Email they sent, looks like its defo still happening tomorrow.
    Whether we can get there or not is another thing.

right, so what's the protocol if we can't get there?

in the email they sent and on the end of the phone they just stated that they can reschedule this at a later stage... how do we do this? are we meant to call them if we can't make it?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    if i wake up and it appears either the tube isnt running or my train is or might be cancelled i just wont go.

coach this morning will be at 5 to 11 and will get the train home at quarter to 7 so im not gonna spend the day travelling if it looks like things might be impeded.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Was there yesterday morning (Glad I'm not there today with the snow and all). Must have gotten to Wembley about 8am and the queue was huge by that time. Don't think the doors opened quite on 8.30 at North East entrance, maybe 5-10 mins late, which was not good considering it was freezing. There seemed to be a few hold-ups as the devices they were using to scan peoples barcodes were a being little temperamental for some of the staff. I think the member of staff that took me had to manually type it in because it just wasn't reading it off my smartphone screen.
    But all was good as Cadbury (being the official treat provider and all for the Games Maker program) were inside giving away tonnes of chocolate.

The event itself was good. OK, it did seem to be lacking in some actual information but just being there amongst the excitement and the amount of guest speakers that they had there made you really feel that being a Games Maker is really an important duty during the Olympics. Also, you pick up a workbook there that gives loads of information and makes up for any missing during the orientation.

They are saying that they will be having cinema screenings for anyone that didn't make it this weekend but in the end it won't be the same as being there at Wembley Arena.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    not attending.

nothing's cancelled, but i can't tell how delayed i might be coming home if it snows again, a 3 hour journey could turn into a 6 or 8 hour one.

gonna ask for a reschedule.

(Original post by Gryffprefect)
    Was there yesterday morning (Glad I'm not there today with the snow and all). Must have gotten to Wembley about 8am and the queue was huge by that time. Don't think the doors opened quite on 8.30 at North East entrance, maybe 5-10 mins late, which was not good considering it was freezing. There seemed to be a few hold-ups as the devices they were using to scan peoples barcodes were a being little temperamental for some of the staff. I think the member of staff that took me had to manually type it in because it just wasn't reading it off my smartphone screen.
    But all was good as Cadbury (being the official treat provider and all for the Games Maker program) were inside giving away tonnes of chocolate.

The event itself was good. OK, it did seem to be lacking in some actual information but just being there amongst the excitement and the amount of guest speakers that they had there made you really feel that being a Games Maker is really an important duty during the Olympics. Also, you pick up a workbook there that gives loads of information and makes up for any missing during the orientation.

They are saying that they will be having cinema screenings for anyone that didn't make it this weekend but in the end it won't be the same as being there at Wembley Arena.

gutted im gonna miss out on all that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't get there, i left at six and there were so many delays it took me two hours just to get to my old home town, so i gave up as i was still south of the river by 830. need to call them to reschedule. Agh this is so annoying I've wasted my whole weekend and i don't even know if ill get back to uni tonight.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's a volunteer job, dont bother risking your life for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have my Orientation Training on the 18th, but meantime was wondering if anyone who has been knows if we are able to change or reschedule the dates of the Role and Venue specific training?

I haven't been given these dates yet but I have fieldwork arranged in April , which means if these more specific training events fall in this time I will have to cancel, something I will HAPPILY do for this opportunity to work at the Olympics and Paralympics, but something I need to do in order to get my degree, so will need to make alternative arrangements.

I have a role on the athlete services team for the Rowing if that helps.

Thanks a million xx
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well I must say it was a little bit of a let down.

Thank GOD that Eddie Izzard is such a big part of it as him doing the introduction at the start on stage put me in a good mood, then they cleverly ended with a video of him too, so that you think of the start and the end where you were laughing and then think that it was all great.

Yeah it was nice to see the 10,000 other people there in Wembley Arena and get the workbook and all that, but to be honest they told us stuff that really could've all just gone in an e-mail. Yes, it was nice, but was it worth the cost and basically taking out a day?

I can see the role-specific training being useful and informative, but I'm not sure the orientation was all that useful. Still, Eddie gave a great show, glad he's involved with it

PS. Also made me grumble that I was sat next to someone who has a place working at Eton Dorney even though she's not interested at all in rowing and has never done it. Whereas I who have volunteered as a rowing coach for a number of years, giving up so many hours of it, and putting it down as first choice on my application, gets to drive around London for the summer :rolleyes: Thanks LOCOG! Ha
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I quite enjoyed it actually I love Jonathan Edwards :love: And Eddie Izzard was pretty cool too! But they dragged it out far too much- it could have easily been cut it down to two hours. The news desk part was especially pointless, I inwardly groaned every time they went back to that. It wasn't too much hassle getting there for me either, despite the snow. To all the people who couldn't make it- I wouldn't worry, you didn't really miss much. If they reschedule some kind of event with a short video and give you your workbooks then you'll be all up to date.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachael.)
    I quite enjoyed it actually I love Jonathan Edwards :love: And Eddie Izzard was pretty cool too! But they dragged it out far too much- it could have easily been cut it down to two hours. The news desk part was especially pointless, I inwardly groaned every time they went back to that. It wasn't too much hassle getting there for me either, despite the snow. To all the people who couldn't make it- I wouldn't worry, you didn't really miss much. If they reschedule some kind of event with a short video and give you your workbooks then you'll be all up to date.
    Oh tell me about it, the news desk, was sooooo annoying. I left early and got ahead of the queues for the tube
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I left during the break to miss the queues. How could I of applied for a leadership role? I cant remember that option of the application form.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodAtum)
    I left during the break to miss the queues. How could I of applied for a leadership role? I cant remember that option of the application form.
    They asked you at interview "would you like to be considered for a team leader role". If you said yes, they then gave you an extra question.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The newsdesk thing was so cheesy and pointless. I think everyone kinda silenty groaned when they saw them walk towards the desk. If they had put those videos together on the website for people to view at their own leisure it would have finished an hour earlier. Thank god Eddie Izzard was there to make it fun, and Jonathan Edwards is right he does have a nice bum

I got an email about coming at 3pm to go to the evening one and seeing as I had to try and get out into central london anyway to get my coach back I though I might give it a try and get there. Got there in 30mins cause the roads were EMPTY! (Until everyone got out of the venue and Engineers Way was friggin gridlocked for ages)
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    How was the training and how was it getting around London, OK?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma103)
    How was the training and how was it getting around London, OK?
    Sunday morning (6am ish) = hell. I tried to get there from home via public transport but everything I was trying to catch was severly delayed so I tried to get a bus into London and I got as far as the south of the Thames. Then I gave up and crashed at my sisters as I knew I wouldn't make it on time.

Then I tried to get to the 3pm one and my sister gave me a lift and as most people were off the road because of the snow it was easy to bomb up Richmond>Kew>Gunnersbury>Ealing> N. Circular. I have never seen Hanger Lane empty before at that time O.o and we got from SW London in 20mins.

I imagine the tube was mental though, there was a whole crowd full heading towards Wembley Park. Saying this it was extreme circumstances, it wouldn't be that bad normally, and it was Sunday services.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    The newsdesk thing was so cheesy and pointless. I think everyone kinda silenty groaned when they saw them walk towards the desk. If they had put those videos together on the website for people to view at their own leisure it would have finished an hour earlier. Thank god Eddie Izzard was there to make it fun, and Jonathan Edwards is right he does have a nice bum
    So clearly he was scripted the same joke ("Thank you to the person who texted my friend and said my arse is looking great") for all of the events. Notice how they put in a few 'casual swear words' to make it seem 'cool' :rolleyes:

(Original post by lovers in japan)
    Oh tell me about it, the news desk, was sooooo annoying. I left early and got ahead of the queues for the tube
    Agreed, they need to think about it a bit more - it should be quality not quantity. Make it a useful, productive, interesting couple of hours rather than padded out with pointless crap. Then maybe when Jonathan Edwards is saying his 'final speech' you won't actually get hundreds of people pouring out while he's still talking.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 11, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.