The Student Room Group

Why is John Bishop so popular? He's ****!

I was just looking for something to watch on BBCiplayer in the comedy section and saw 'John Bishop's Britain: Series 2'. Series 2? Wtf? How did he even get his own series in the first place let alone a second series of it. He's literally the unfunniest man on TV, and I don't mean just amongst other comedians, I mean anyone on TV. I would rather Phil Spencer from Location Location Location or Alan Titchmarsh do Stand-up then this ****. He's even the least witty person on 'A League of Their Own' a show which Jamie Redknapp is on!

All his jokes are based around him being a Scouser and the one that aren't are the kind of jokes a middle-aged accountant would tell on a golf-course. Most scousers, whilst I do find their accent annoying, are quite funny, so if he's made his whole act by being a 'fairly funny scouser', although I wouldn't even grant him that accolade, you could literally pull any 30 something scouse man off the street and give him his own show and it would be more entertaining than this ****.
Reply 2
People obviously find him funny. Comedians get by on that alone, not looks.. or contacts or whatever. Comedians sell tickets, if they sell enough, they get rebooked, if the public continue to like them, they may get TV shows and spots on other TV shows etc. You may not like him, but plenty of others do.
Original post by Siman89
I was just looking for something to watch on BBCiplayer in the comedy section and saw 'John Bishop's Britain: Series 2'. Series 2? Wtf? How did he even get his own series in the first place let alone a second series of it. He's literally the unfunniest man on TV, and I don't mean just amongst other comedians, I mean anyone on TV. I would rather Phil Spencer from Location Location Location or Alan Titchmarsh do Stand-up then this ****. He's even the least witty person on 'A League of Their Own' a show which Jamie Redknapp is on!

All his jokes are based around him being a Scouser and the one that aren't are the kind of jokes a middle-aged accountant would tell on a golf-course. Most scousers, whilst I do find their accent annoying, are quite funny, so if he's made his whole act by being a 'fairly funny scouser', although I wouldn't even grant him that accolade, you could literally pull any 30 something scouse man off the street and give him his own show and it would be more entertaining than this ****.

Well people have to base jokes on something, and evidently a lot of people disagree with you.

If you're going to post such a subjective rant topic about a comedian of all things, at least take the time to find a genuine gripe with him other than the fact that you personally don't like the themes of his jokes.

I mean seriously, what is the point of this thread, with such an angry and hateful 'WHY IS HE SO POPULAR' theme? Some people will like him, some will be indifferent, others won't. Whether people like scouser jokes or not is pretty irrelevant since it's entirely a matter of person opinion :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Reply 5
I've never watched him so don't know how good he is, but he has the confidence to get up on stage and put himself out there, which a lot of "average scousers" probably don't have. I'm not saying this makes him any better than the others, just saying that it might explain why he has a show and the others don't.

Perhaps his fans are generally drunk when they watch him. Alcohol can make you enjoy any crap, and sometimes with alcohol, the more obvious the joke the better.

Also, success (financial and otherwise) in life isn't generally distributed in any fair way. You get some musicians, some academics, some film makers, some writers, some doctors and so on who make a good living and you think "That's justified". But in general, life is not fair.
Reply 6
Original post by Siman89

All his jokes are based around him being a Scouser and the one...

It's like all female comedians base their jokes on being female (whinny, unfunny drivel), all non white comedians base their jokes on being X ethnicity. I'm not amused by someone presenting the race card to me for an extended period of time. It's ****ing annoying. Almost all comedians are ****e. The only one's i've liked are Simon Amstell, although I haven't seen anything of him recently, and Russel Brand, before he ****ed off to Hollywood. Franky Boyle is ok.
(edited 12 years ago)
People don't all enjoy the same type of humour. I for example love deadpan humour, but hate slapstick.

People like different things.
Reply 8
Because loads of people find him funny.
Reply 9
I'm a scouser and I don't find him that funny though sometimes he has a few gems.
I agree he is not in the least bit amusing.

He is limiting his audience to people tuned to his accent.

maybe he is having sex with or paying someone in the BBC, SKY, ITV or Dave,

I dont like his beard it tickles me.
Reply 11
I know quite a few women who think he's hot so maybe that's partly why? :dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
At least he's better than Russel ****ing Howard
This is a 3 year old thread. Bumping it is what's not in the least funny here!
I find he appeals to middle aged people more, rather than the younger generations
Reply 15
The fact that many people buy tickets to go and see him is in no way indicative of him being funny. You are perhaps confusing being funny with being able to make a room full of unimaginative idiots laugh. It may be a large room, and there may be a lot of idiots but it really isn't the same thing as being funny. The reason bland, straight forward comedians like John Bishop, Russell Howard and Michael McIntyre manage to do so well is that post Frankie Boyle the BBC seems to be intent on avoiding anything that may offend anyone, anywhere, all the time. This extra exposure gives these bland inoffensive bores an advantage over actual funny, intelligent, astute comedians who are capable of plucking the funny bones of more discerning punters.
Original post by rantomon
The fact that many people buy tickets to go and see him is in no way indicative of him being funny. You are perhaps confusing being funny with being able to make a room full of unimaginative idiots laugh. It may be a large room, and there may be a lot of idiots but it really isn't the same thing as being funny. The reason bland, straight forward comedians like John Bishop, Russell Howard and Michael McIntyre manage to do so well is that post Frankie Boyle the BBC seems to be intent on avoiding anything that may offend anyone, anywhere, all the time. This extra exposure gives these bland inoffensive bores an advantage over actual funny, intelligent, astute comedians who are capable of plucking the funny bones of more discerning punters.

Agreed entirely!

David Mitchell is quite good. As is Jimmy Carr. Not as popular as those you mentioned, and it shows.
Reply 17
Original post by TorpidPhil
Agreed entirely!

David Mitchell is quite good. As is Jimmy Carr. Not as popular as those you mentioned, and it shows.

Realy like David Mitchell, can't say I like Jimmy Carr as a person but he does amuse me.
Reply 18
Original post by plimsolls
It's like all female comedians base their jokes on being female (whinny, unfunny drivel), all non white comedians base their jokes on being X ethnicity. I'm not amused by someone presenting the race card to me for an extended period of time. It's ****ing annoying. Almost all comedians are ****e. The only one's i've liked are Simon Amstell, although I haven't seen anything of him recently, and Russel Brand, before he ****ed off to Hollywood. Franky Boyle is ok.

Do all female comedians base their jokes on being female? It would seem you haven't seen a broad enough section of "all female comedians" to comment. I understand the point you are making but it's still very genralistic, untrue and a bit daft.
Reply 19
Totally agree. So not funny for me but, if you can make a living about saying the word radiator in scouse accent then fair play

Quick Reply

Latest