The Student Room Group

Diane Abbott's racist remarks

I fail to see how this is defensible.

Poor show dear, time to resign now I think.

Why no reaction from Ed Miliband?

She's got form for racism, hasn't she? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5uMbMJ2EUQ

EDIT: as of 11:11 05/01/2012, the tweet has been deleted. Quite odd that she thought there was nothing wrong with it but saw fit to delete it, isn't it?

EDIT2: Ed Miliband ought to be careful on twitter too

(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Its true though?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
****ing hate how black poeple are allowed to be racist to whites yet we say one thing that is non-racist but inviolves an ethnic minority and we get in so much ****. ****ing stupid PC

THANKS FOR ALL THE POS REP GUYS!!!! I've gone from -6 to -3 YAYAYAYAYAYAY! lave yaa xxx >< :smile::smile::smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Markos
It's true though?

:facepalm2:
Reply 4
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
:facepalm2:

Great analysis.
Reply 5
It seems like the moment you become a celebrity of any kind - you're no longer allowed to speak. Still ridiculous though.
Original post by Markos
Great analysis.

Great racism.
Original post by Spontogical
It seems like the moment you become a celebrity of any kind - you're no longer allowed to speak. Still ridiculous though.

Do you think celebrities should be allowed to be racist, then?
The token ethnic and female candidate in a sea of white-middle-aged-men running for the Labour leadership has made another fool of herself :rolleyes:

tactics as old as colonialism :K:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
does anyone actually find it offensive here? i don't even know who Diane Abbott is...
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Do you think celebrities should be allowed to be racist, then?

No, but people should be allowed to speak. Maybe she shouldn't have said those words in a public environment.
Original post by Spontogical
No, but people should be allowed to speak. Maybe she shouldn't have said those words in a public environment.

So being racist in private is fine, then?
furthermore, her opinion doesn't even matter because she's

Spoiler

Reply 13
I want an explanation as to how this is 'racist' because I am failing to see the problem.
Reply 14
Happens all too often, a small minority of people, black and white think they can get away with racism by making it appear they are against racism.
Reply 15
Original post by kaydiann
I want an explanation as to how this is 'racist' because I am failing to see the problem.

She is pretty much saying white people are out to get black people, trying to divide and rule over them. Its racist and generalising, assuming all white people want to rule over blacks and that we all have the same attitudes since colonial days
Nice to see she's keeping the "us vs them" attitude alive in 2011. Great for social cohesion and that.
Original post by kaydiann

She's said that all white people like to 'divide and rule' (a fairly negative status is attached to that, wouldn't you say?)

Imagine if David Cameron tweeted that 'black people love to take bribes' or 'asians love to join gangs' or 'hispanics love to steal'. Would you be wondering if that was racist?
Original post by screenager2004
Nice to see she's keeping the "us vs them" attitude alive in 2011. Great for social cohesion and that.

Particularly so when some 61% of her constituents are white...
Reply 19
Original post by Aj12
She is pretty much saying white people are out to get black people, trying to divide and rule over them. Its racist and generalising, assuming all white people want to rule over blacks and that we all have the same attitudes since colonial days

So basically we're offended by her generalisation of white people.
Ok, gotcha.

I still don't think it's racist, though, because it's based on a truth that I wish alot
of (black) people in general would wake up and realise, and then realise that
they have the power to counter it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending