The Student Room Group

EU Directives - rights BEFORE implementation deadline?

Hi All,

I'm quite confused and have a couple of questions:

1) In the following sort of scenario does X have any possible courses of action under EU law?:

X suffers damages. There is a Directive which has been passed which covers X's problem, but the implementation deadline in Member State Y has not passed - i.e. X suffers damages between Directive announcement and the implementation deadline.

I think probably not - Direct Effect surely not available as implementation date not passed (Ratti), and Indirect Effect not available as no national law in the area (either implementing or non-implementing). State Liability not available as breach not sufficiently serious since implementation date not passed (Dilenkofer)

2) If Member State Y continues not to implement the Directive after the deadline has passed, does X then have a course of action which arises?

I think probably not- there was no breach of the member state that led to X's damages.

3) If Member State Y continues not to implement Directive after the deadline is there any way it can be held to account?

?? Maybe via the Commission? But do individuals have a right unless they suffer damages first?

Hope this all makes sense! I will attempt to clarify if not!
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending