The Student Room Group

Rejected from Oxbridge : The Bright Side

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Elizandra
You're welcome :smile:
What is actually the policy for people being enrolled at another uni in a similar course to reapply to Oxbridge for the course you originally wanted (even if you have to start as a fresher again)? I would do this so much if I could.
On the other hand, you have offers from other top unis in London, so there is probably a chance that at least one of them would offer you an unconditional if you applied again alongside with Oxford, taking a gap year.

I'm really torn between asking for feedback and don't doing it. Maybe I'll ask for it but only look into it after the final exams because if it is too negative, it would be somehow devastating.

I thought feedback would be crushing too, but if you're curious, then I'd really recommend it. If nothing, it could offer some tips for the hundreds of interviews you're yet to face in life :biggrin: Some colleges give really naff feedback, while other ones give really specific ones, while others will only email your referee with it. They won't be negative, feedback's never designed to hurt you, it'll only be to help you :smile: xxx
Reply 241
Original post by DiyaM95
I thought feedback would be crushing too, but if you're curious, then I'd really recommend it. If nothing, it could offer some tips for the hundreds of interviews you're yet to face in life :biggrin: Some colleges give really naff feedback, while other ones give really specific ones, while others will only email your referee with it. They won't be negative, feedback's never designed to hurt you, it'll only be to help you :smile: xxx

Okay, that's fine then :smile: Thanks! I was really worrying about it. Let me know when you've decided what you are going to do :smile:
Reply 242
Okay, that's fine then :smile: Thanks! I was really worrying about it. Let me know when you've decided what you are going to do :smile:

My feedback was alright, basically just graded the four main parts of my application on a scale that went from 'very poor' to either 'very good' or 'excellent'. Another one of my friends got terrible feedback, basically a whole email to give him the general "there were so many applicants we couldn't give you a place", and another got really detailed feedback, saying that he didn't apply his knowledge to unfamiliar situations as well as other candidates did. But don't take it too much to heart, just as advice for further interviews, don't dwell on what you could have done too much D:

I had a think today, and I still think I'm going to go ahead and firm UCL. I'll try and visit it a few times between now and enrolling, so that I'll know for sure if I do decide to reapply :smile:

I think a big part of it was being raised in a family where name/prestige is everything, so it was weighing heavy on my mind that I'd somehow let my family down by not getting in. But I really love UCL, and it doesn't hurt that they have a Law Fresher's Fortnight and one essay per term per module as opposed to four essays a term per module at Oxford :wink:

Where are you looking to go?
Reply 243
Original post by DiyaM95
My feedback was alright, basically just graded the four main parts of my application on a scale that went from 'very poor' to either 'very good' or 'excellent'. Another one of my friends got terrible feedback, basically a whole email to give him the general "there were so many applicants we couldn't give you a place", and another got really detailed feedback, saying that he didn't apply his knowledge to unfamiliar situations as well as other candidates did. But don't take it too much to heart, just as advice for further interviews, don't dwell on what you could have done too much D:

I had a think today, and I still think I'm going to go ahead and firm UCL. I'll try and visit it a few times between now and enrolling, so that I'll know for sure if I do decide to reapply :smile:

I think a big part of it was being raised in a family where name/prestige is everything, so it was weighing heavy on my mind that I'd somehow let my family down by not getting in. But I really love UCL, and it doesn't hurt that they have a Law Fresher's Fortnight and one essay per term per module as opposed to four essays a term per module at Oxford :wink:

Where are you looking to go?

I would love to go to St. Andrews because I like their psychology programme best after Cambridge, but Edinburgh would be really great too! I have also chosen Aberdeen and Napier - I regret Napier very much in hindsight but went for it because I was afraid my grades could drop... Now that I have been to Cambridge, however, I wouldn't really want to go to Aberdeen, so I will reapply in general if I get rejections for Edinburgh or St. Andrews, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
I'm a EU applicant so it will be hard to get a place, but I've been dreaming about coming to the UK for six years and it is the only thing I really want. Ireland is my other option, though.

That is true it will be so much less stress and work, and UCL is still so excellent, congrats to this! :smile:

There have been no expectations from my family (I'm the second one apart from my cousin to go to university at all), just my very own drive to always aim higher, higher, higher. Now that I've tried the best I could possibly reach for undergraduate level, it is kind of a relief, too. :smile:
Reply 244
I would love to go to St. Andrews because I like their psychology programme best after Cambridge, but Edinburgh would be really great too! I have also chosen Aberdeen and Napier - I regret Napier very much in hindsight but went for it because I was afraid my grades could drop... Now that I have been to Cambridge, however, I wouldn't really want to go to Aberdeen, so I will reapply in general if I get rejections for Edinburgh or St. Andrews, but I haven't heard anything from them yet.
I'm a EU applicant so it will be hard to get a place, but I've been dreaming about coming to the UK for six years and it is the only thing I really want. Ireland is my other option, though.

That is true it will be so much less stress and work, and UCL is still so excellent, congrats to this! :smile:

There have been no expectations from my family (I'm the second one apart from my cousin to go to university at all), just my very own drive to always aim higher, higher, higher. Now that I've tried the best I could possibly reach for undergraduate level, it is kind of a relief, too. :smile:

Ah that's brilliant, I come from a super pushy Asian family so I've always admired people who have that innate drive on their own :biggrin:

And St. Andrews/Edinburgh are awesome choices, I know people up there and they absolutely love it (and I'm sure you'll be hearing awesome news from them soon hun) and I think Andrews has a neat tradition of skinny dipping in the North Sea once a year (although the mere thought of it makes me shiver).

Good luck, and let me know how everything goes!
xxx
The Cons of Oxbridge:

- Highly competitive. If you're used to being top of the class (which you probably are if you're applying to Oxbridge) you may be the average Joe, perhaps even below average when compared with your peers. If you need to feel academically confident and successful to succeed, Oxbridge may not be for you.
- Pressure to succeed. Due to the academic emphasis at Oxbridge, the idea of finding the work too difficult or wanting a break just aren't really as feasible as other universities. On top of that, people expect more of you. (I'm holding an unconditional and people always mock me if I say something slightly ridiculous, and I'm not even there yet!)
- Media. The media constantly portray Oxbridge in a bad way which means people will stereotype you if you go there. Recently I read an article on 'Cambridge Toffs' which made my blood boil. You're under the media spotlight at these universities, and you'll find unnecessarily so because most people there are intelligent but normal people, not the socially elite like the newspapers like to portray.
- Tourists. I've been to Cambridge a lot recently and the tourists are infuriating. They're everywhere, which, having gone to college in a town which was a tourist attraction, drives me bonkers. They're so annoying!
- Shorter terms. You have to cram, cram, cram to get everything in on time. There's no reading weeks like other universities, and supervisions mean you're constantly under an academic spotlight. Other universities give you much more space to breathe and relax, something with Oxbridge are notorious for not doing.
- Its just bricks and mortar. The university is made up of the people there, not the nice old buildings. I went to school in a tudor manor (no I'm not rich, I went to a state school) and after a week or two I forgot about the architecture. At the end of the day, you're going to university to learn - and you'll get a similar education elsewhere! Don't be too disheartened by ONE university not wanting you - there are other universities that you'll enjoy JUST as much.

If you're thinking about applying and you've read this; don't be deterred, there are huge pros as well! And I'm very excited to be going, but these cons are serious things to consider when debating whether or not to apply and dealing with rejection. I know I can handle these issues with Oxbridge, other people may not be able to for whatever reason.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 246
Original post by DiyaM95
Ah that's brilliant, I come from a super pushy Asian family so I've always admired people who have that innate drive on their own :biggrin:

And St. Andrews/Edinburgh are awesome choices, I know people up there and they absolutely love it (and I'm sure you'll be hearing awesome news from them soon hun) and I think Andrews has a neat tradition of skinny dipping in the North Sea once a year (although the mere thought of it makes me shiver).

Good luck, and let me know how everything goes!
xxx

Oh, thank you - and good luck to you as well at UCL! :smile: And yes, I will! The day I get an offer from one of them would be one of the happiest days of my life so far I guess! I hadn't heard about the skinny dipping but I think I would try just for the sake of it. It is awesome that both St. Andrews and Edinburgh are at the seaside, which is a nice combination altogether with the great teaching :biggrin:
Reply 247
Original post by DiyaM95
My feedback was alright, basically just graded the four main parts of my application on a scale that went from 'very poor' to either 'very good' or 'excellent'. Another one of my friends got terrible feedback, basically a whole email to give him the general "there were so many applicants we couldn't give you a place", and another got really detailed feedback, saying that he didn't apply his knowledge to unfamiliar situations as well as other candidates did.

My UCAS referee was mailed a letter which basically just explained the selection process (how many applicants there were for Law at Oxford this time around, how many were for Corpus Christi College, etc.), which I found disappointing because I was expecting more detailed feedback. Anyway I've emailed the college to request for more specific information. I'm really curious as to how they viewed each aspect of my application.

I've quite gotten over the rejection by now and realised I really didn't lose anything by applying, because now I at least know that I was good enough to have been given consideration by Oxford, rather than shied away and not known at all. And it's not all worthless in the end because my prep for an Oxford application was also prep for UCL, which I did get an offer from the very next week after my terrible Oxford interview :tongue:
Reply 248
Great thread :smile: Wish I'd found it sooner...

Yes, there's always a bright side to any story...

Personally, I've been rejected by Oxford and was totally devastated for a long time... But now, I've got several offers from other top unis and I'll be going to a university where I have a wider range of social and creative activities available - I'll find myself and find out what I truly love and like in a less competitive and more friendly environment...

And my parents (Asian) aren't too unhappy with me either, since I got 7777 76 (IB grades with the first 4 being my HL's) in my mock exams, and will do well in my finals
Reply 249
Original post by ivy45
Great thread :smile: Wish I'd found it sooner...

Yes, there's always a bright side to any story...

Personally, I've been rejected by Oxford and was totally devastated for a long time... But now, I've got several offers from other top unis and I'll be going to a university where I have a wider range of social and creative activities available - I'll find myself and find out what I truly love and like in a less competitive and more friendly environment...

And my parents (Asian) aren't too unhappy with me either, since I got 7777 76 (IB grades with the first 4 being my HL's) in my mock exams, and will do well in my finals

Those are AMAZING grades, well done!! Where are you looking to go, and for which course?
Reply 250
Original post by DiyaM95
Those are AMAZING grades, well done!! Where are you looking to go, and for which course?

Thank you, hehe :biggrin:
I'm going to study Economics at Durham
What about you?
Reply 251
Original post by ivy45
Thank you, hehe :biggrin:
I'm going to study Economics at Durham
What about you?

Durham's LOVELY! Which college? I'm for Law with Hispanic Law (just a year extra arsing about in Spain) at UCL xx
Reply 252
Original post by DiyaM95
Durham's LOVELY! Which college? I'm for Law with Hispanic Law (just a year extra arsing about in Spain) at UCL xx

Hehe, yes it is :smile: Unfortunately I didn't get into Castle (the really pretty one) but Josephine Butler, but at least I get an ensuite room and can still visit the Castle :wink:

Law at UCL is AMAZING, hehe, getting an extra year in Spain sounds exciting!
Original post by hogwartian1993
The Cons of Oxbridge:

- Highly competitive. If you're used to being top of the class (which you probably are if you're applying to Oxbridge) you may be the average Joe, perhaps even below average when compared with your peers. If you need to feel academically confident and successful to succeed, Oxbridge may not be for you.
- Pressure to succeed. Due to the academic emphasis at Oxbridge, the idea of finding the work too difficult or wanting a break just aren't really as feasible as other universities. On top of that, people expect more of you. (I'm holding an unconditional and people always mock me if I say something slightly ridiculous, and I'm not even there yet!)
- Media. The media constantly portray Oxbridge in a bad way which means people will stereotype you if you go there. Recently I read an article on 'Cambridge Toffs' which made my blood boil. You're under the media spotlight at these universities, and you'll find unnecessarily so because most people there are intelligent but normal people, not the socially elite like the newspapers like to portray.
- Tourists. I've been to Cambridge a lot recently and the tourists are infuriating. They're everywhere, which, having gone to college in a town which was a tourist attraction, drives me bonkers. They're so annoying!
- Shorter terms. You have to cram, cram, cram to get everything in on time. There's no reading weeks like other universities, and supervisions mean you're constantly under an academic spotlight. Other universities give you much more space to breathe and relax, something with Oxbridge are notorious for not doing.
- Its just bricks and mortar. The university is made up of the people there, not the nice old buildings. I went to school in a tudor manor (no I'm not rich, I went to a state school) and after a week or two I forgot about the architecture. At the end of the day, you're going to university to learn - and you'll get a similar education elsewhere! Don't be too disheartened by ONE university not wanting you - there are other universities that you'll enjoy JUST as much.

Yeah, this is all true. I was rejected for Oxford in 2009, and reapplied to Cambridge for a different course. I got in, but if I didn't I would have been happy to take a place elsewhere.

Cambridge has been lots of pressure at times, and quite a lot of people here probably would have been better off going elsewhere. Several of my friends have had depression of some form whilst here - I think you need to have some kind of hobby that you love to cope with the intense work. I think it is great for people who thrive on pressure and are independent enough to go out and take advantage of opportunities. Its also true that telling people you go to Cambridge can be alienating, even with family, and that there are lots of tourists here, although I don't really care about either of those things. Its also true that the buildings stop wowing you after a while - lots of the accommodation is also pretty nasty looking - but generally they are probably the nicest university buildings in the world. Walking past Kings on the way to lectures is pretty cool.

Every university has pros and cons. Oxbridge is not a golden key to anything, and you end up graduating in pretty much the same position as the other top universities. University is not your defining feature, and (as long as you do okay) also won't be the determining factor in your career.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 254
Original post by ~MiserableLogic~
80% of all applicants get an interview. It really is no special achievement.

They probably say that to everyone...

Highly doubt it, they made a girl who is now at Cambridge cry her eyes out, and she still got an offer.
So I just found this thread, fluffed the TSA test so will not get an offer, very helpful! :smile: how is everyone finding uni now?? What are your thoughts on the rejection now? Would love to know! :smile: thanks!
Reply 256
Original post by Ghost6
Let's face it there is no bright side. Sure you can be successful in life regardless of attending Oxbridge, but attending Oxbridge does make this quite a bit easier. At Oxbridge most people surrounding you are truly exceptional and devoted to the study of their subjects, and this is less the case at other places where there will be a lot more 'regular' students that mainly care about partying. Now make sure you get a first to attend Oxbridge or the Ivy League as a graduate student.

Oh please, what nonsense! I am a proud Oxford reject and whilst beautiful and prestigious libraries would have been incredible, I don't believe for one second that not being at Oxford means that I shan't meet truly exceptional and devoted young people, nor only meet those who wish to party and care for nothing else. I dubbed my interview 'an isolated pocket of experience' because I knew that when I made a comment about having a convoluted relationship with Literature and the two tutors subsequently looked confused, at each other and then said in a bemused way; "well if you don't see it as an academic subject then perhaps it isn't the right thing for you to pursue..." that I had struck the last nail into my coffin and that I realised that was okay. Good luck to everyone in all of their futures, whether they be Oxbridge or not, commiserations and congratulations - besides, you'll never know what you never had anway :smile:
I am so impressed by those people who've managed to take it so well. I hope I'm anywhere near half as stoic as you guys have been if I'm rejected.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
Dude, we're probably gonna end up working at the same law firm in future 'cept to get there, you won't have had to practically kill yourself due to lack of sleep and stress.

Really? I wouldn't exactly describe myself as exceptional... :erm:

Speak for yourself.
Original post by Deep456
So three years on, I just wanted to revisit this post. One that got a great reception when I posted it all those years ago.

I ended up getting a place at Warwick studying PPE. Really struggled to cope with the workload and ended up getting a 2.2 in year 1. Luckily it was just pass to progress, and funnily enough had scores of 41 and 44 in two modules (40 being the pass mark).

So was it over? Nah, no chance. After a summer where I re-evaluated everything, I decided I was going to give it another go. So year 2, worked really hard, every day, blood, sweat, tears, gave up everything. To my surprise, exceeded all expectations, got a first and for example in modules like Economics 2 got 72 building on the 44 in Economics 1 from first year.

On the way, grabbed internships at two thinks. Then final year (this year), I have continued with same intensity. Anyway, I applied again for masters. Rejected again from Oxford (third time).

Not going to believe it though, better things awaited. Scholarship from LSE of £10k for what would have been my dream course. Just that, yesterday, I found that I was given an offer from Cambridge to study an MPhil in International Development/Development Studies.

There you have it have folks, dreams come true. Never give up. Sent my parents and myself to tears.

Well done for getting such good grades through apparantly hard work!

Quick Reply

Latest