The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Glanville Williams: Learing the Law, 13th ed by ATH Smith is a sound choice if you want to find out what the subject entails. Its very well written and goes some way to explaining how law operates as a subject at university. Even though I am a finalist I still leaf through it occasionally to pick up tips on essay technique/style etc. Learning Legal Rules, published by Oxford, is also worth a look.
I asked the same question to a number of lecturers and they said: a good newspaper. The reason is because you would only need to relearn everything when you do the actual law degree (on the assumption you are going to do one) hence they generally prefer future law students not to have done it at A Level.
Reply 3
JJ Jones
Glanville Williams: Learing the Law, 13th ed by ATH Smith is a sound choice if you want to find out what the subject entails. Its very well written and goes some way to explaining how law operates as a subject at university. Even though I am a finalist I still leaf through it occasionally to pick up tips on essay technique/style etc. Learning Legal Rules, published by Oxford, is also worth a look.

Those are the two I looked at before I started studying - both are useful for getting a flavour.
Reply 4
I was given a list of a couple of books to consider reading before I started the degree and the Glanville Williams book was one of them, it's an excellent book
Reply 5
i was given the english legal system by slapper and kelly to read before I started and the same title but by elliot and quinn
Reply 6
I have also heard The law machine by Marcel Berlinz recommended by several people including my tutor. I haven't actually read it myself but it's meant to be easier to read than learning the law
Reply 7
What exactly is in the book? Is it a novel or what?
Books by Jacqueline Martin are very good.
Reply 9
zoemunro
i was given the english legal system by slapper and kelly to read before I started and the same title but by elliot and quinn

Hmmm the Slapper and Kelly book was so incredibly boring in my opinion :frown:

I guess in some ways it would give you a general idea about the way the law works and stuff but I really wouldn't recommend it for anyone to read unless they were insomiacs :biggrin:
Reply 10
ElWilson
What exactly is in the book? Is it a novel or what?

I don't know which book you're referring to, but as far as I know, all the books so far mentioned are factual- they tend to attempt to give an overview of the legal system and sometimes how to study it.
The basic differences between the books are the depth which they go into when talking about the legal system and how good the writer is at making it interesting.
The Law Machine is the ultimate book. It is on the reading list for UCL before you arrive as well.
Unlike most other books it is not patronising, it is interesting, it i technical without appearing so at all. It also gives you a solid basis for the nitty basic stuff on your law degree that you are never told or it is assumed that you know.
And it is not aimed specifically at the law student, but rather the educated individual.

Shame I puked over my copy due to Freshers fortnight madness really...
Reply 12
I never read any introductory books.

You'll have tonnes of reading to do when you get to uni.
Reply 13
Learning the law by Glanville Williams, and First Steps In The Law by Geoffery Rivlin. I read these last year and they were pretty helpful.
Reply 14
One L : The Turbulent True Story of a First Year at Harvard Law School

by Scott Turow

WANNER BROTHERS BOOKS,
Try Sweet and Maxwell Understanding Law
Reply 16
Am working on Glanville Williams' Learning the Law, and The Law Machine. Both were on Nottingham's reading list...
Fa|ique
Am working on Glanville Williams' Learning the Law, and The Law Machine. Both were on Nottingham's reading list...

Hi neighbour!
Reply 18
Hehe, hi there...
Reply 19
helki
Learning the law by Glanville Williams, and First Steps In The Law by Geoffery Rivlin. I read these last year and they were pretty helpful.

I agree that this is a good book, but it's now called Understanding the Law, as he thought First Steps sounded a little patronising or something.

I read these two books before I went to Oxford for my interview. They were not relevant or necessary, but it certainly gave me more confidence before my interviews.

Latest

Trending

Trending