The Student Room Group

Americamp 2012!! :)

Scroll to see replies

Well I sent pitches to 4 of the 18 camps that came online, and I just got a skype call from 'campstaffusa' saying that I had been shorlisted and they will call me back tomorrow or Thursday. Wondering what my chances are :smile:
Thats awesome! Congrats, hopefully it'll all go well - if not though don't worry theres still heaps of opportunities to get placed in time for summer :smile:
What did you guys wear for your interview? Just casual?
I wore what I'd call smart casual - but probably more on the side of casual. Jeans, a top, blazer and some nice jewelery.. i think, but it doesn't really have to be over the top I don't think, just go in whatever makes you feel comfortable :smile:
Thanks - my letter says smart casual, i think i'll probably wear jeans :smile:
Just wondering - if I apply to other companies too, does it increase my chances, or does it just mean that my profile is being sent to the same camps twice?
Not sure really, i'm sure theres a possibility itll increase your chances, but youre probably gonna end up paying alot of money upfront (i.e. If you went through camp america too) id suggest youd wait a bit and if youre still not getting anywhere then you might consider going through other agencies aswell... But theres still a lot of time to get placed.

Have you heard anymore about being shortlisted or been contacted directly by a camp?
Hey, thanks a lot. I have applied to another company (Wild Packs) because it's free up to the interview stage. I haven't heard anything back after the virtual fair, although I was told that another camp has shortlisted me recently, so yeah, it's still in full swing, but I want to have a buffer just in case :smile: It's still January and I am trying not to get impatient :wink:
Oh cool, I started applying with Wild Packs before but I couldn't really find too much background info on them so thought they might be a bit dodgy, their website is full of spelling mistakes and inconsistencies but that could just be me being meticulous... Anyway if it's free what's the harm!

Well keep waiting on Americamp I'm sure they'll come through, were they allowed to tell you who 'shortlisted' you or did they say some rubbish about confidentiality and so they couldn't say the names? But be patient, regardless of who you end up going through it'll probably take a while... I known where you're coming from though, I was getting proper impatient being in communication with a camp for over a month but not even sure if they were going to hire me, but eventually it has paid off... so don't give up hope!
Reply 29
Americamp sounds waaay complicated to me! Go Camp America, so simple!

Fill in form online
Choose CA interviewer
Arrange interview
Hopefully have your details forwarded for circulation in the USA
Wait to hear from a camp
Have a skype interview with a Camp Director
Get an offer!

At least, that's how it worked for me! So excited for my two months at Camp Sabra, MO!!
Americamp follows the same sort of pattern in that respect... It's just they have their virtual fairs aswell as sending your details around. Both companies are equally good just have different employment processes I'd say :smile:
Americamp were also flexible with dates (because my date - the 22nd June - is a bit late) which is why I chose them. Camp America wouldn't take me because of the date. Yeah, I haven't given up hope - it is still early. By the way, it is Camp Watonka that has shortlisted me at the moment - still waiting for their first contact. :smile:
Ah that's good that you know the name! At least that means it could potentially a bit more set in stone, rather than just being told ominously that 'you've been placed, but we can't tell you who with'. How long is it been since you found out you were shortlisted?

I'd suggest you give Americamp an email on Monday (because Jonny is out of office until then and he's the one that will ring you up and have a chat with you). Anyway there's no harm in asking what progress has been made - if any - and when you might expect to hear from them. It's possible that from emailing that Americamp will get in touch with the camp and ask, but not 100% sure.

I looked up the camp by the way, seems ideal for your skills!
Hey! Yeah, I would telly like to go to that camp, or one like it :smile: I found out on the 12th January, from Americamp themselves. I've sent them an email and I guess, with my experiences so far, they will be back to me soon enough :smile:

I am just itching to book flights! I see that it is around £300-350 if you choose the right day now, hope it doesn't start rocketing up soon!
(edited 12 years ago)
Just looked up the location of the camp, if you were to get placed there, you'd be less than an hour away from the camp I'm going to! Anyway the 12th wasn't that long ago, so I'm not totally surprised you haven't heard back yet, probably works out just over 1 working week or so. But yeah I'm sure you'll hear back from Americamp on Monday or at the very latest on Tuesday.

Me too though! I'm meeting up with the camp directors of the camp I'm going to on Friday, so I want to get everything finalised with them (dates etc) and make sure they still want me (!) and then go from there and start to get the visa, crb, medical check and finally, flights sorted. I just want to get it all out of the way, cost wise and time wise - because as you've said booking flights earlier is a money saver.

So I'm mainly concerned with wanting to book them but obviously you HAVE to have done visa, crb and medical first, so it's important to me to try and get it all going as quickly as possible.
Reply 35
How can you say Americamp is complicated? They pay so much more than Camp America. I had an AMAZING time and worked with people who had gone with them, they were on $600 I was on $1500 for the same job. Work that one out!

Original post by escape
Americamp sounds waaay complicated to me! Go Camp America, so simple!

Fill in form online
Choose CA interviewer
Arrange interview
Hopefully have your details forwarded for circulation in the USA
Wait to hear from a camp
Have a skype interview with a Camp Director
Get an offer!

At least, that's how it worked for me! So excited for my two months at Camp Sabra, MO!!
@Lucy I agree that you do get paid more but to be honest it's all down to personal preference, I don't think either company is particularly better because they're very different. And it really depends if people are bothered about money or if they just want the experience.

Camp America sorts it out all for you but you do end up getting less money than you deserve, whereas Americamp doesn't sort everything out for you but in the end you get more money. Each to their own I'd say!
Reply 37
Original post by whataplainname
@Lucy I agree that you do get paid more but to be honest it's all down to personal preference, I don't think either company is particularly better because they're very different. And it really depends if people are bothered about money or if they just want the experience.

Camp America sorts it out all for you but you do end up getting less money than you deserve, whereas Americamp doesn't sort everything out for you but in the end you get more money. Each to their own I'd say!

I'd have to disagree with it being anything to do with "personal preference" both have incredibly similar application processes, one makes you more money than the other...The only difference really is with Camp America you don't have to book your own flights, and really if you struggle with that then you shouldn't be working at any job really....

I went with Americamp last year & am going back to my same camp next year, if anyone has any questions or is placed at CECBR hit me up!
@Callum in the nicest way possible that is really what I meant, Camp America is basically more suited to those who 1. are willing to part with a fair amount of moment very quickly and 2. (as you said) who don't want the hassle of booking flights etc... I disagree with you on the not working at any job, theres a lot of people who get really nervous/freaked out by that sort of thing but I'm not sure it really shows whether or not they should or should not be working - if that makes sense.

Also some out there are lucky enough to have the money to pay for such an expensive trip and not have to worry about the wages! (Not me unfortunately haha). But random coincidence I've been placed at CECBR!
Reply 39
Original post by whataplainname
@Callum in the nicest way possible that is really what I meant, Camp America is basically more suited to those who 1. are willing to part with a fair amount of moment very quickly and 2. (as you said) who don't want the hassle of booking flights etc... I disagree with you on the not working at any job, theres a lot of people who get really nervous/freaked out by that sort of thing but I'm not sure it really shows whether or not they should or should not be working - if that makes sense.

Also some out there are lucky enough to have the money to pay for such an expensive trip and not have to worry about the wages! (Not me unfortunately haha). But random coincidence I've been placed at CECBR!

After re-reading your post I did feel a bit harsh in the response, maybe not working any job is a bit of an exaggeration, however for the position it's for you should be fairly independent and able to book flights :wink:

Did you mean you're placed this year or have been in the past?
What is/was your position?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest