The Student Room Group

Americamp 2012!! :)

Hey,

Iv just applied for Americamp and was wondering where the different camps are around the USA?? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
you applied for a camp but don't know where it is?
Hey :smile: I've applied through Americamp too, I applied around octoberish and have just been placed in the last week or so (Ive been in contact with a camp since the first virtual fair - i think november sometime).

Anyway I'm not sure whereabouts all the camps are but the one i'll be going to is in Pennsylvania. Just wait til the virtual fair (i think its this tuesday?) and you'll be able to see all the camps online and where they're based, I'm pretty sure I've seen one that's in Virginia and another in Texas if that helps at all.

What position are you gonna be applying for? x
I've applied too - to help teach computer programming. I had my interview yesterday - what happens next? Do you get offers online and then choose which one you want, or do they call you or something? I'm just waiting now!
Hey George congrats on your interview :smile: Have you heard back from Americamp to say you're accepted yet? (I'm sure you will be, pretty sure they accept basically everyone). Anyway Americamp help place you in several ways, with their virtual camp fairs and I think by putting you into a database which camps can access.

But your best bet is the virtual fair. In the virtual fair you'll be given 'pitches' I think it was 5 last time. This basically means you have 5 chances to send a message to whichever camps interest you. You get to see the camps that are online and the staff positions they're looking for. So if there's one that lists that they want a programmer you should definitely send a pitch to them, but I wouldn't bother sending a pitch to a camp unless they're specifically looking for someone like you. Having said that, some camps might get in touch with you even if you haven't pitched to them as they can see you're online status and look at your CV and youtube video (so vital that you have a video!).

In terms of getting an offer, it really ranges between each camp. Some will call you on Skype and might hire you on the spot, some might 'short list' you.. in which case you'll probably get an email after the camp fair from Americamp telling you you've been shortlisted or a camp might contact you via email or skype and just want to chat with you and will probs email back and forth a bit with you rather than hiring on the spot - this was true in my case, after a month or two of communicating with them they've finally offered me a position.

Hope that helps!
Reply 5
I'm really interested in Americamp (and the others)

How would I go about applying?
Amerigay!
@amison I would say check out a couple of agencies.. Camp america, BUNAC, Americamp to name a few (pretty sure there a few more but those are all I can think of) and decide which you think is best for you and go ahead and apply. They're all slightly different in their application processes i.e:

Camp America you have to pay straight up in a few installments but you get flights etc paid for you, Americamp you have to pay a £20 interview fee and then £179 when they "place" you at a camp but you have to book and pay for flights etc yourself (although I think they provide discounted services) and not too sure about BUNAC's process, you have to pay £495 but flights are provided.

So my suggestion is check em all out and see which you like then apply through their site:

http://www.campamerica.co.uk/apply/apply/7

http://www.bunac.org/uk/summercampusa/

http://www.americamp.co.uk/signup/
Reply 8
Original post by whataplainname
@amison I would say check out a couple of agencies.. Camp america, BUNAC, Americamp to name a few (pretty sure there a few more but those are all I can think of) and decide which you think is best for you and go ahead and apply. They're all slightly different in their application processes i.e:

Camp America you have to pay straight up in a few installments but you get flights etc paid for you, Americamp you have to pay a £20 interview fee and then £179 when they "place" you at a camp but you have to book and pay for flights etc yourself (although I think they provide discounted services) and not too sure about BUNAC's process, you have to pay £495 but flights are provided.

So my suggestion is check em all out and see which you like then apply through their site:

http://www.campamerica.co.uk/apply/apply/7

http://www.bunac.org/uk/summercampusa/

http://www.americamp.co.uk/signup/

Thank you! Will rep tomorrow :smile:
Original post by whataplainname
Hey George congrats on your interview :smile: Have you heard back from Americamp to say you're accepted yet? (I'm sure you will be, pretty sure they accept basically everyone). Anyway Americamp help place you in several ways, with their virtual camp fairs and I think by putting you into a database which camps can access.

But your best bet is the virtual fair. In the virtual fair you'll be given 'pitches' I think it was 5 last time. This basically means you have 5 chances to send a message to whichever camps interest you. You get to see the camps that are online and the staff positions they're looking for. So if there's one that lists that they want a programmer you should definitely send a pitch to them, but I wouldn't bother sending a pitch to a camp unless they're specifically looking for someone like you. Having said that, some camps might get in touch with you even if you haven't pitched to them as they can see you're online status and look at your CV and youtube video (so vital that you have a video!).

In terms of getting an offer, it really ranges between each camp. Some will call you on Skype and might hire you on the spot, some might 'short list' you.. in which case you'll probably get an email after the camp fair from Americamp telling you you've been shortlisted or a camp might contact you via email or skype and just want to chat with you and will probs email back and forth a bit with you rather than hiring on the spot - this was true in my case, after a month or two of communicating with them they've finally offered me a position.

Hope that helps!

Hey, thanks, that helps a lot! I was told after the interview that the next thing to do would be just to wait for a camp to get in contact via e-mail or over the phone. I haven't officially heard that I have been accepted yet, not sure if/when that comes. I've still got to wait for one reference though before I can properly submit it. I've got a video done too - and my interviewer said she had seen it.
Hey glad it helped :smile: I was told that after my interview too, I think it's true in theory but you'll have a lot better luck in the virtual fair in my opinion. Did you get an email off Americamp about the virtual fair?
I got an email about the fair (I think they send another one tomorrow) and I think I'll give it a go. So do you have to talk with them on the phone/webcam and they can also see your application? And you get to choose who you talk with? I'm not really sure what you have to do. Thanks!
Original post by amison
I'm really interested in Americamp (and the others)

How would I go about applying?

Same! Hopefully it's not too latee :smile:
@George It's possible you'll have to talk with a camp on Skype but I think it's more likely you'll get emailed or hear after the fair is over because I know there's gonna be ALOT of Americamp applicants attending the fair. What happens is you'll be able to see the camps online and the camps will be able to see all the applicants online.

You'll be able to see their camp name, the start date of the job, the staff they're looking for etc. And the camps will be able to see your Americamp application (which includes your youtube video and references).

When you get onto the fair, you'll see which camps are online and what they're looking for. You'll have 5 "pitches" and there's a button on each camp's page which says "pitch". A pitch is literally a typed message to them you get a character limit of a few hundred words - so be careful to write the best you can.

So say for example you see a camp online it'll have a picture and when you scroll over it or click (can't quite remember) it gives you an overview like i've written below:

CAMP EXAMPLE

Looking for
Counselor:
Media
Arts
Sports

Support Staff:
Kitchen
Cleaners
Security

When you click to go to the camp's page you'll get a more detailed explanation so it'll say what kind of media, arts, sports they'll want. It should say the location of the camp, the start and end dates of the employment, not sure what else but all the important info. So if you were to click on this "CAMP EXAMPLE" and see this:

MEDIA:
Programmer
Video
Photography

Then you would want to "pitch" to this camp and say that you're a programmer and all that jazz. Then they'll recieve your pitch and may or may not contact you, this could be Skype straight awayish or email you sometime in the near future or Americamp might email you saying you've been "Short listed" or you may not hear back at all - which is why you should try to pitch to as many camps as possible.

Oh and if this helps, I saw at the last virtual fair that 'Camp Canyon' was looking for a "Social media programmer" not sure if they've found anyone yet but check em out when they come online and see. I think you may have a harder time finding camps to pitch you because your field is so specific, so don't worry if you can only find one or two camps you want to pitch to. I had the same problem as I'm doing video production and alot of camps are mainly sporty and active.

Good luck though! If you're still baffled we can Skype or msn or something and I'll try and explain more!
Oh and it's always a good idea to google the camps you're interested in before pitching this is because some might not be what you want: i.e. religious, scout/brownies, special needs and day camps and to see a bit more info then what is given on the fair. Hope that's all helped, sorry for the HUGE reply! :smile:
Hey, that's great and thanks for the reply! I've not only applied for programming - I said that I would also do photography, video production and outdoor skills, but in the interview I was asked if I wanted computing as my 1st choice and I said yes so if I can't find many computing ones, there are other options. I don't have Skype yet though - do I install a special program? Thanks again!!!
Oh cool, glad it helped yeah there are probably more options for those skills :smile: For skype just go here: http://www.skype.com/intl/en-gb/home and download it, then you need to sign up for an account (its free). Once you've done that, go and update your Americamp application and put your skype username in. That way it'll automatically be shown at the fair, so camps will know what your skype is and can contact you directly.. Make sure you change the settings to accept calls from everyone :smile:
OK, set up - I have got the webcam ready. Now I just need to make sure no-one comes running in to the computer room mid-interview :biggrin:
Awesome, good luck! Post how it goes :smile:
Reply 19
Most American summer camps are concentrated in the north-east or east of the country, although to be honest, they're found all over.

Have an amazing time. I did Camp America in 2009, went to a camp in West Virginia :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest