The Student Room Group

When the hell are the AS-Level exams?!

Having looked at a thread on here about 5 minutes ago, I've started panicking a tiny little bit.

Are the AS-Level exams starting in January this month, and are they the actual exams, i.e. final exams, not mock or anything?

Some help would be greatly appreciated as I have no ****ing idea what the **** is going on. My sixth form haven't sent me any sort of timetable so I just assumed that it was all good until the summer exams, as per usual.
Not all Schools do modular exams (i.e. splitting and doing some module exams in Jan and some in May/June). It's very common for AS exams to not be split like this in many Schools.

If your School hasn't sent you a timetable, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you're doing all your AS exams in May/June then.

Although if I were you, I'd check if you have mocks in Jan or not. Many Schools do this - but of course, these don't really mean that much, so don't worry.
(edited 12 years ago)
In Jan I had proper AS exams.

Get revising mr Jamboooogyyyy!

Call them up and fart on the phone and ask whats going on!

Also what subjects you taking? some peeps on here might be able to fill you in! GL!
Reply 3
Original post by Midnight-Sky-Blue
Not all Schools do modular exams (i.e. splitting and doing some module exams in Jan and some in May/June). It's very common for AS exams to not be split like this in many Schools.

If your School hasn't sent you a timetable, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure you're doing all your AS exams in May/June then.

Although if I were you, I'd check if you have mocks in Jan or not. Many Schools do this - but of course, these don't really mean that much, so don't worry.

Thank you SO MUCH. You've just given me a ridiculous amount of relief right now.

Original post by Spoonforknife
In Jan I had proper AS exams.

Get revising mr Jamboooogyyyy!

Call them up and fart on the phone and ask whats going on!

Also what subjects you taking? some peeps on here might be able to fill you in! GL!

I'll probably pass on the farting mate. I'm taking Maths, English Lit, French and Art.
Reply 4
totally depends on the subjects you're doing tbh...on the whole the official exam period for A-levels begins next week :'(

best to check your examining board site to be on the safe side for maths though...I don't think the others do Jan exams...but not too sure
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jamboogy
Thank you SO MUCH. You've just given me a ridiculous amount of relief right now.

I'll probably pass on the farting mate. I'm taking Maths, English Lit, French and Art.

iirc, you only have one set of exams in French, Eng Lit and Art anyway so it's fairly usual for them to just be summer (as you have the coursework part with Eng/Art?). I know I only had one set of exams in Spanish which was the end.

If they've not told you anything about actual exams then i'd assume they haven't entered you for any January ones.

All your french and english lit exams will be in the summer :smile:

Haha, that made me laugh.
Reply 8
Original post by JuggerJay
totally depends on the subjects you're doing tbh...on the whole the official exam period for A-levels begins next week :'(

best to check your examining board site to be on the safe side for maths though...I don't think the others do Jan exams...but not too sure

Well I checked the OCR board, and it seems there are exams for both C1 and C2 in January and May, so I'm assuming that my sixth form have decided to allow us to take the May exams. If that's not the case, then I am truly balls-ed :smile:.

Original post by Nymthae
iirc, you only have one set of exams in French, Eng Lit and Art anyway so it's fairly usual for them to just be summer (as you have the coursework part with Eng/Art?). I know I only had one set of exams in Spanish which was the end.

If they've not told you anything about actual exams then i'd assume they haven't entered you for any January ones.

Yeah you're totally right, we're just doing the coursework for English and Art. Thank you.

Original post by itchy and scratchy
All your french and english lit exams will be in the summer :smile:

Such a babe. Thank you.

No worries :smile:
Just to clarify
As far as I am aware all subjects (with written exams) could have AS exams in January ... certainly AQA Eng Lit and French have a paper that can be sat in January

However ... as has been said ... increasing numbers of schools are no longer using the Jan modules and I seriously doubt that your school has entered you but not told you
Original post by TenOfThem
Just to clarify
As far as I am aware all subjects (with written exams) could have AS exams in January ... certainly AQA Eng Lit and French have a paper that can be sat in January

However ... as has been said ... increasing numbers of schools are no longer using the Jan modules and I seriously doubt that your school has entered you but not told you

the written and speaking AS exams for french/German etc in january are generally sat by those who are resitting those papers rather than those in Y12, as theres no way you would have covered all the content necessary.
Original post by .snowflake.
the written and speaking AS exams for french/German etc in january are generally sat by those who are resitting those papers rather than those in Y12, as theres no way you would have covered all the content necessary.

Fair enough :smile:
Original post by .snowflake.

Hiya there,

Well you say this, but I am doing a distance learning A-Level German course (started in September) and will be doing my AS exams (AQA) on Thursday, so covering the content is possibly, although of course it can't be covered in so much depth as would be done over a year. I am also doing my French AS (Edexcel) exam next Wednesday, although that is really only to complete the A2 I did last year, as my AS from 2004 (I got a B) is now 'out-of-date' as the syllabus has changed since then...

Quick Reply

Latest