The Student Room Group

Hot girls will always have more friends than ugly girls

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Scarlet Pimpernell

Why do you think we have this obsession in today's society??

I don't think it particularly has to do with today's society. We have an innate tendency to be drawn towards good-lookingness (if that's a word). That's why babies stare longer at pictures of beautiful faces vs plain ones.

I personally find it a plus if people I spend time with are attractive, kind of the same as being in beautiful surroundings, looking at nice art, etc.. it's a pleasure for the eyes:smile:

And for the topic I know a girl who could be described as ugly and has loads of friends. Hey, I love being around her because she's so funny:biggrin:
Original post by James A
looks like your one of those people that have loads of friends because of looks.... am i right?

No. :rolleyes: I don't have many friends, and most people don't like me. I'd say I'm average-looking. I don't think pretty people have more friends. It's a personality thing. Plenty of pretty people don't like large friendship groups, plenty of them do. The same goes for 'average' 'ugly' and any other type of person.
Reply 42
Life is tough, get over it people. Only mentally sub-normal people believe in "fairness".
Original post by Amwazicles
No. :rolleyes: I don't have many friends, and most people don't like me. I'd say I'm average-looking. I don't think pretty people have more friends. It's a personality thing. Plenty of pretty people don't like large friendship groups, plenty of them do. The same goes for 'average' 'ugly' and any other type of person.

yeah but you gotta remember that both boys and girls at first sight will want to meet the other sex if they are attractive. and even if they are hot, the opposite sex will want to stay and be friends and eventually escalate their bonding to a new level :colondollar:

unless their personality is really bad then i still think that hot girls can make friendships easier
Original post by EffieFlowers
I always remember in school, you'd look at some of the confident 'good looking' girls and I remember thinking how average they actually looked, but because they acted so confident, it almost tricks your mind.

Yes there are always a few girls, who are average looking, but in the 'socially popular' crew and inevitably have boyfriends/get experience with boys early, and they enjoy a status amongst their peers as being cool and they can sometimes lord it over other less confident girls and make sure other girls know their respective status in the pecking order.

Deep down they know they are not the best lookers and so they are driven to try and get sexual experience early to prove to themselves they can be desired....the socially popular boys know this and take advantage of it, these girls are their 'trial runs'.

Before long this type of girl will start developing an explosive relationship history, went out with boy X from the socially popular group, "but he was a total tosser", then went out with boy Y from the socially popular group, "but he wasn't mature enough for a relationship", now is going out with a guy 8 years older who plays in a band that she met in a gig, etc. They enjoy the drama and the status that it gives them when they talk about these relationships to other girls, so they can say "ooh why do I always go out with the wrong men", what they really are trying to say is "look all these popular guys have wanted to get with me" as that is status points with other girls.

But the reason they don't have long standing relationships is that they aren't really good looking enough for the popular guys, behind the scenes the popular guys are going on about how they "smashed that bird but tried not to look too hard at the face lol".
Define "friends".
Reply 46
Generally that might be true - beautiful people have more friends than less good looking ones. But after you got to know someone (maybe you tried because the person is beautiful) you will know more about her character. There have been several very beautiful girls who were interested in me as a friend and I indeed developed friendships with some of them, but in the end my very best friend (yes, I am a guy with a female best friend :biggrin:) isn't too attractive. Though she is not ugly either, her true beauty canot be SEEN.

Friendship is something which - in contrast to sexuality - is not that much driven by outward appearance. Hope that never changes ...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
It's true but I wouldn't put it down to just hot girls but often girls who present themselves as being really hot. Like I see a lot of girls who clearly aren't very naturally pretty but have tons of makeup and great bodies and wear very revealing clothes who are seen as hot but really are quite ugly. Whereas other girls who put in less effort and are more naturally pretty, might be a bit shy have less friends.
Reply 48
This thread is inane.

Look OP, if people dismiss you for being ugly, so what? What do you expect us to do, or say, or even feel?
Original post by metric
It's true but I wouldn't put it down to just hot girls but often girls who present themselves as being really hot. Like I see a lot of girls who clearly aren't very naturally pretty but have tons of makeup and great bodies and wear very revealing clothes who are seen as hot but really are quite ugly. Whereas other girls who put in less effort and are more naturally pretty, might be a bit shy have less friends.

yeah I've noticed this to be true.
Reply 50
I remember one of my friends had little female friends simply because she was very attractive, it came to the point where girls who didn't even know her would form opinions about her, I'm not sure that I would really be happy dealing with that.
Reply 51
Original post by hemaisfine
This thread is inane.

Look OP, if people dismiss you for being ugly, so what? What do you expect us to do, or say, or even feel?

Who said that?
Reply 52
good job that i'm so ridiculously, ridiculously good looking then.
Reply 53
Original post by MagicNMedicine

Deep down they know they are not the best lookers and so they are driven to try and get sexual experience early to prove to themselves they can be desired....the socially popular boys know this and take advantage of it, these girls are their 'trial runs'.

Is it bad that I've done/thought like this lol? I mean it kinda seems like they have it coming if you ask me..

OP what are you views on handsome boys making friends?
(edited 12 years ago)
I like how subjective this thread is :colonhash:
Reply 55
Original post by MilkyC
Is it bad that I've done/thought like this lol? I mean it kinda seems like they have it coming if you ask me..

OP what are you views on handsome boys making friends?

I don't really notice it tbh.

In my year, not a single boy is a loner, there are all in groups of at least 5/6 so I can't say. There are a few female loners though.
However, I would assume that a handsome boy will have more girl friends than the average guy. (not sure what the average is)
the handsome boy would have more guy mates too perhaps :holmes:
I'm a guy, but to be honest I tend to dislike 'hot' girls as they have a tendency to KNOW they're hot. Overconfidence is the one thing that really irks me.
Reply 57
I've seen it to be the opposite tbh. Alot of guys are intimidated by "hot" girls and have this stereotype that they're all bitchy and stuck up hence they usually have this approach anxiety toward them. In tandem, alot of hot girls know that they're hot and also have this stereotype that men are just trying to sleep with them and so project this bitchy attitude as a defence mechanism.

"Ugly" girls on the other hand are seen to be more down to earth, easy going , don't put themselves on a pedestal and willing to engage in male activities and therefore have more male friends.
(edited 12 years ago)
you mean ugly mentality right.
Original post by James A
yeah but you gotta remember that both boys and girls at first sight will want to meet the other sex if they are attractive. and even if they are hot, the opposite sex will want to stay and be friends and eventually escalate their bonding to a new level :colondollar:

unless their personality is really bad then i still think that hot girls can make friendships easier

I still disagree. :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending