The Student Room Group
*~vicki~*
i was just wondering what works best for you when reading foreign literature? are there any techniques which you find useful to help break the text down? oir do you just read through? is it wise/useful to make notes? :confused:

Any comments appreciated :smile:

Vicki x

read the english version! :rofl:
Reply 2
ok... apart from reading the english version (because that isnt always possible....) any other ideas?

Vicki x
Lol :biggrin:

Hmm well I personally find making notes superfluous, but it's a good idea to note down items of vocabulary or phrases that you come across that you think will be useful to include in your work.

Other than that, when reading a book in a foreign language, I think it's best not to try to understand every word, but to get the gist as much as possible. Think of it as a bonus if you pick up on the more subtle details.
Those dual-language books are pretty good. I've got collected works of Kafka in a dual language book and if I'm really getting stuck in the middle of something (which is surpisingly easy for me, especially with Kafka) I can just look at the opposite page where the English translation is present.
It is useful when first trying to tackle it...
mooncheese89
Lol :biggrin:

Hmm well I personally find making notes superfluous, but it's a good idea to note down items of vocabulary or phrases that you come across that you think will be useful to include in your work.

Other than that, when reading a book in a foreign language, I think it's best not to try to understand every word, but to get the gist as much as possible. Think of it as a bonus if you pick up on the more subtle details.

couldn't have put it better myself..:yy:
Reply 6
ok thanks guys :biggrin:
Good luck with your reading adventures :biggrin:
I don't translate everyword, especially unimortant adjectives or verbs that can be worked out in the context, but I do if it comes up a lot

Latest

Trending

Trending