The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by Xero Xenith
This might be an interesting question, if it's allowed - what's the 'illegal substances' situation like over there? (i.e. is it common, or what?) It might be interesting to get perspectives from people who do (if any) and people who don't.

I ask because... well, I come from Saaf-Eas Lundun. My perspectives on the world may be skewed. :tongue:

For most students, alcohol is the drug of choice. Wine downed after pennying at formals, cheap shots in the bar or vile VK in Cindies. Caffeine is also fairly widely consumed to varying degrees of obsession.

As for illegal substances, they exist, especially weed, but the number of people using them, especially on anything more than an occasional basis, is very small. It's worth noting that almost all colleges are no smoking, or have very small smoking areas, regardless of what is being smoked...

AspiringDoctor
1) Do the majority make it to clinical years after pre-clinical, and how hard is it to get into?
2) If you only do pre-clinical at Cambridge, is there anywhere that you are particularly likely to go, e.g. London?

1) There are about 280 pre-clinical students, and about 130 clinical places. The VAST majority of people will get into a clinical school somewhere - I can only think of a handful who quit/had to leave the course after 3 years. Many people choose to leave after 3 years so most people who put Addenbrooke's as their first choice will get in there if their academic record is decent.

2) There are formal arrangements for transfer to clinical schools at the 5 London med schools and Oxford. Oxford tends to be for the top-end students who have got at least one first in the first two years. All sorts of people go to London - those who think they might not get into Addies as well as those who have had enough of Cambridge after 3 years. Which one is most popular varies on a yearly basis - in my year UCL and GKT were very popular (and I think have the most spaces for transfer) and Imperial very unpopular, but I think they've put in more effort into attracting our students now.

It is very occasionally possible to transfer to other medical schools but this is becoming increasingly difficult as our course is not compatible with many others.
-Can you go to other college's "bops"

-Are lectures available recorded and online (specifically for Theology). I just find that lecturers go too fast for me to make satisfactory notes unless I can pause them :biggrin:

-What is this "pennying" of which my boyfriend speaks? :biggrin: He refused to explain :P
Original post by Xristina
Yeah, I am sure the information on this thread is miles ahead the exact same information on the Oxford one. :rolleyes:

In any case, I am sure that deep inside we all recognise that both unis are equally good, with slight variations depending on subject and course. And I was only joking anyway. I actually have a question myself.
Basically I am applying to Cambridge for a PhD and we can choose two colleges in our application. At this point I should say that I have no clue about cambridge college stereotypes. I only know that Trinity is considered the best.

That is really an outdated stereotype :tongue: For example Emmanuel has been the best academic achiever if you average the last five to seven years and I'm sure John's would have something to say about anything Trinity is "better" at.

I put Pembroke as my first choice, so any information about it would be nice, especially if there is any classicist there (is the library good for example?)
And I was thinking either Clare or Corpus Christi as my second, but someone told me that Clare is really popular and there is no point in putting it as a second choice. Is this true?

Yes you are best talking to people at/were at Pembroke. I'll quote two of them:
alex_hk90
:hi:

Sockpirate

Unfortunately I don't know of any Valencian (demonym for Pembroke) classicists on TSR but those two may have more contacts.

Consider looking at this page, which contains the admissions categories of each college, with A being the most popular and C being the least. You are correct, Clare is an "A" college whereas your other choices are "B"s. Whether you should apply depends on whether you consider your application to be competitive I guess but there is the risk that if you get rejected by both choices you may be put into a graduate college, which for some it is not the "real" Cambridge experience :rolleyes: Craghyrax, our resident Cambridge mod recommends putting down a B and a C or 2 Bs. I'll quote her as well.

Craghyrax
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TimmonaPortella
I have you on record saying otherwise!

I was trying to be polite. After all, if I don't do well this year, I might end up there next year :tongue:
Original post by ukdragon37
That is really an outdated stereotype :tongue: For example Emmanuel has been the best academic achiever if you average the last five to seven years and I'm sure John's would have something to say about anything Trinity is "better" at.

Yes you are best talking to people at/were at Pembroke. I'll quote two of them:

Unfortunately I don't know of any Valencian (demonym for Pembroke) classicists on TSR but those two may have more contacts.

Consider looking at this page, which contains the admissions categories of each college, with A being the most popular and C being the least. You are correct, Clare is an "A" college whereas your other choices are "B"s. Whether you should apply depends on whether you consider your application to be competitive I guess but there is the risk that if you get rejected by both choices you may be put into a graduate college, which for some it is not the "real" Cambridge experience :rolleyes: Craghyrax, our resident Cambridge mod recommends putting down a B and a C or 2 Bs. I'll quote her as well.

hm yeah I also think that maybe putting Clare as my second choice is not wise. I might choose another B college. I prefer Pembroke cause I've heard good things about it (esp. for Classics) + it has a scholarship for people from my country, but Clare does look beautiful.

lol which reminds me that last year I put as my first choice Corpus Christi and as my second one St John's. I guess that was silly. Hm...any comments about Corpus Christi? Maybe I should put that as my second...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ViennaWaits

-What is this "pennying" of which my boyfriend speaks? :biggrin: He refused to explain :P

If someone drops a penny in your glass when you aren't holding it, you have to down it. It happens at formal halls.
(edited 12 years ago)
How do you cope with the lack of street lighting inside some colleges? Do people generally bring torches with them when they're walking around at night?
hm yeah I also think that maybe putting Clare as my second choice is not wise. I might choose another B college. I prefer Pembroke cause I've heard good things about it (esp. for Classics) + it has a scholarship for people from my country, but Clare does look beautiful.

Well are there reasons for you to specifically choose Corpus Christi? If there aren't any strong preferences for the ones besides Clare and Pembroke you might as well give Clare a shot. It's only *maybe* that you get put into a graduate college and in any case you might not find them to be that bad. If your application is competitive it should be accepted somewhere (and often at this point I'd advise applicants not to play the numbers game etc. etc. :tongue: )
Well are there reasons for you to specifically choose Corpus Christi? If there aren't any strong preferences for the ones besides Clare and Pembroke you might as well give Clare a shot. It's only *maybe* that you get put into a graduate college and in any case you might not find them to be that bad. If your application is competitive it should be accepted somewhere (and often at this point I'd advise applicants not to play the numbers game etc. etc. :tongue: )

hm...I do think that my application has good chances of being accepted from Pembroke, as it's a B college + I have a quite prestigious scholarship from Oxford + one from my country. But of course this doesn't guarantee anything, so maybe it's better to put as a second choice another B college, and not an A. Corpus Christi looks nice, and they accepted me last year, so I figured why not.

thanks for your help btw.
lol which reminds me that last year I put as my first choice Corpus Christi and as my second one St John's. I guess that was silly. Hm...any comments about Corpus Christi? Maybe I should put that as my second...

Hmm again you should talk to Corpuscles about it. Unfortunately all of the ones I know are not on TSR (anymore). It's quite a small college though, and a bit insular.

Have you taken some time to visit those fine institutions? :tongue:
Original post by Dogatonic
How do you cope with the lack of street lighting inside some colleges? Do people generally bring torches with them when they're walking around at night?

:redface:

No, no they don't.
Original post by Dogatonic

The colleges are rich, they have their own lighting usually in places that are not obvious. :tongue:

The only time when I wished I had a torch was in Trinity Burrell's Field trying to get through a maze of bushes to get to the other side. But that was more exciting in the dark than scary!
Original post by alexsasg
Should I buy a bike?!

Also, should I take a laptop with me to Cambridge (do most students)?

Hey!!

In the case of the bike, its really depends on where your college is situated. All of my friends that do not have lectures near my college find their bike very useful. Even I have one and my lectures are 5 minutes away from my college but they are useful for going into town or cycling to go to the rowing house etc. etc. but they are not essential. However, everyone should have a go at riding on their bike at night with their college gown on, its hilarious hehe

Also yes most people do bring a laptop, in my lectures nearly everyone types up their notes also it is really useful to store your work on and to back it up with a hard drive (just in case). People at my college also work in their rooms most of the time so it is an essential for most people. You'll also need it to get onto online resources. To be honest I think my laptop is really the most important thing to me when doing work and trying to be organised. :smile:
Reply 193
Original post by Onee-chan
...I was going to ferociously attack you until Wiki claimed Pembroke serve sushi?! Good lad, you know I was joking all along right? And obviously you will invite me over as a guest?:colondollar:

*Drastic change of facial expression*

But in defense of Caius, I must re-emphasize that your claim of our yukky food is entirely fabricative (if a word). What absurdity it is to claim all those other accusations as well *sweeps anything true under the carpet*.

Okay, fellow future possible Cambridge...Cambridgian(?), have a good evening - or midnight rather - and we shall resume to this tearful contest a later date.

P.S.: Us TSRers need to meet in real life - so I can come to your colleges and fulfil my plan :colone:. *See below*.

Indeed, let us put these pithy squabbles behind us. I shall therefore promise to help you fulfill the college tour of formal halls if you are in need of a Pembroke guest. :biggrin:

And to be fair, I'd rather be at Caius that at Oxford :ahee:

P.S.: I believe the demonym is "Cantabridgian".
Are there any art galleries? And if so, which, in your opinion, are the best? Bit of a random question, I just like art :biggrin:
Original post by anoushka1

Original post by anoushka1
Hey!!

In the case of the bike, its really depends on where your college is situated. All of my friends that do not have lectures near my college find their bike very useful. Even I have one and my lectures are 5 minutes away from my college but they are useful for going into town or cycling to go to the rowing house etc. etc. but they are not essential. However, everyone should have a go at riding on their bike at night with their college gown on, its hilarious hehe

Also yes most people do bring a laptop, in my lectures nearly everyone types up their notes also it is really useful to store your work on and to back it up with a hard drive (just in case). People at my college also work in their rooms most of the time so it is an essential for most people. You'll also need it to get onto online resources. To be honest I think my laptop is really the most important thing to me when doing work and trying to be organised. :smile:

Thank you :smile: I'll definitely buy a laptop then, and when I get to Cambridge (grades permitting!) I may buy a bike there. Riding a bike while wearing a gown sounds..interesting :biggrin:
Can I also ask what you call students attending a particular college? I.e. I know those at Homerton are referred to as Homertonians etc, but I've got an offer from Magdalene so I was just wondering if there's something that Magdalene students are called?
Reply 196
Original post by Cast.Iron
I don't think that hyperbole serves any purpose here.

I apologise. I shall therefore request, less passively, your nicest picture of the hall, because it does look quite nice :biggrin: I may try and sneak into a Homerton formal hall...
Hmm again you should talk to Corpuscles about it. Unfortunately all of the ones I know are not on TSR (anymore). It's quite a small college though, and a bit insular.

Have you taken some time to visit those fine institutions? :tongue:

unfortunately no...Before October I was outside the UK and since then I've been really busy with studying :frown:
Original post by alexsasg
Thank you :smile: I'll definitely buy a laptop then, and when I get to Cambridge (grades permitting!) I may buy a bike there. Riding a bike while wearing a gown sounds..interesting :biggrin:
Can I also ask what you call students attending a particular college? I.e. I know those at Homerton are referred to as Homertonians etc, but I've got an offer from Magdalene so I was just wondering if there's something that Magdalene students are called?

I don't think there's a set list of demonyms written down anywhere and I can't recall a specific one for Magdalene...

We also have a similar list for people doing a certain subject, e.g. CompSci, NatSci, Medic, Muso, Linguist/MMLer, Vet, Engling, Engineer, Geographer, Historian, Mathmo, Economist, Art Historian, Land Economist, Lawyer, Philosopher, Theologian...
Original post by AspiringGenius
Are there any art galleries? And if so, which, in your opinion, are the best? Bit of a random question, I just like art :biggrin:

AFAIK the only thing that comes close is the Fitzwilliam Museum. However colleges own lots of art so you might be able to go in and take a sneaky look, if they are somewhere public.

Quick Reply