Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
Interview Discussion 30-01-2014
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smason5)
    Hi,
    Firstly, not to sound naive the following regards that i meet my offer. As the final exams are approaching i realised that after i haven't made any plans. What would you say is advisable to do during your summer holidays. I plan to catch up on my missed sleep due to revision but literally after i will have around 3 months free. I can't afford to travel at this time either. Did you work, read up on stuff, participate in events if so which? I plan to do medicine if that helps. I'm up for anything new even sports just don't know where to start.
    Thanks
    Heh, do what you want because after those 3 months it's work work work (and some play but mostly work).
    • 42 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can you do capoeira in Cambridge?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've read that a lot of May Balls and other events have a Black Tie dress code, and it's generally worth having a dress suit for Cambridge. Question: If I've got a cheap one (I'm thinking George at Asda) nobody will care, right? I'm (probably) getting it for another event which really won't be fussy, but just checking it would get me in to stuff even when the guys at the door are likely to know a good suit from a bad one...
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesc)
    I've read that a lot of May Balls and other events have a Black Tie dress code, and it's generally worth having a dress suit for Cambridge. Question: If I've got a cheap one (I'm thinking George at Asda) nobody will care, right? I'm (probably) getting it for another event which really won't be fussy, but just checking it would get me in to stuff even when the guys at the door are likely to know a good suit from a bad one...
    lol cheap ones are fine.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    lol cheap ones are fine.
    Good I'd rather get a nice one, but my parents reckon after a year or two of uni life I won't be the same size and it'll be a waste :rolleyes:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesc)
    Good I'd rather get a nice one, but my parents reckon after a year or two of uni life I won't be the same size and it'll be a waste :rolleyes:
    The general level of alcohol consumption at many cambridge black tie events mean that having a very expensive suit is almost unadvisable.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by illusionz)
    The general level of alcohol consumption at many cambridge black tie events mean that having a very expensive suit is almost unadvisable.
    Awesome.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Considering the workload, do Cambridge students get time to go home at the weekends? My mum is freaking out at the prospect of not seeing me for 8 weeks (also, I'm the only person at home that cooks: I don't want my family to starve). Do you think going home maybe 3 weeks in to term for the weekend, and then getting a visit 3 weeks after would be a decent sort of possibility?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katieburns92)
    Considering the workload, do Cambridge students get time to go home at the weekends? My mum is freaking out at the prospect of not seeing me for 8 weeks (also, I'm the only person at home that cooks: I don't want my family to starve). Do you think going home maybe 3 weeks in to term for the weekend, and then getting a visit 3 weeks after would be a decent sort of possibility?
    It depends on your subject, supervisors, etc. Personally I was able to go home a few times a term to watch the football (I have a season ticket) without any problem.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It depends on your subject, supervisors, etc. Personally I was able to go home a few times a term to watch the football (I have a season ticket) without any problem.
    Well, I'm doing PPS....don't suppose you know if that's on of the more work-intense subjects or not?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm doing PPS....don't suppose you know if that's on of the more work-intense subjects or not?
    I imagine you'll be fine - I think you get deadlines in advance so you can plan your work around it, and if all else fails you can always take work home. (P.S. It might help to start teaching your family to cook now so that they'll be competent by the time you leave!)
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aesc)
    Nobody cares, I can say from experience - I took a bus out to Bar Hill and got my black tie outfit for less than £40 the night before the first dinner I needed it for, because no-one had bothered to tell me the event was black tie...

I've been using it ever since and no-one's ever given me any trouble, or frankly even noticed.
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    You should be fine.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's the accommodation like at Downing College and are there en-suites for first years?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    About ums scores... Do i only have to send those that count towards my a2s and ases? If i have done full a-level in a year and i can use my m2 and s1 grades (because they have higher score) towards my final grade would i have to include other units which i haven't done so well on (s2 in particular), implying i want to do economics?
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soempty)
    About ums scores... Do i only have to send those that count towards my a2s and ases? If i have done full a-level in a year and i can use my m2 and s1 grades (because they have higher score) towards my final grade would i have to include other units which i haven't done so well on (s2 in particular), implying i want to do economics?
    When I applied (2008 cycle) you were required to submit UMS for all the modules you had taken, regardless of whether or not you have certificated (or plan to certificate) them.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    When I applied (2008 cycle) you were required to submit UMS for all the modules you had taken, regardless of whether or not you have certificated (or plan to certificate) them.
    That sucks...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are the seats in the eating/lunch area comfortable?

Thank you in advance.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cyfer)
    Are the seats in the eating/lunch area comfortable?

Thank you in advance.
    :lolwut: any specific college or department? Whenever I've been to Cambridge I've been very comfortable when eating
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tooambitious)
    :lolwut: any specific college or department? Whenever I've been to Cambridge I've been very comfortable when eating
    Trinity college specifically, sorry I forgot to mention it!

Many thanks for your reply.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 17, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.