The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mevidek
Sure but I'd still like to just find out where I stand among other prospective students

I think the process is much more human than you give it credit for. Tutors look at all your grades, assess your interview and admissions test performance and decide whom they want. It would be impossible to say that you are in a given position relative to another candidate purely on the basis that you have better GCSEs. You have an advantage in one area, but what weight is given to that is left to the tutors.
Original post by lp386
Very little. It's mostly on AS results and the interview. An extra A in French isn't going to make a huge difference. At this point you just have to do the best you can and not worry about where you stand with regards to the pack, because if you spend the next two years worrying about it you will go insane.

Original post by TimmonaPortella
I think the process is much more human than you give it credit for. Tutors look at all your grades, assess your interview and admissions test performance and decide whom they want. It would be impossible to say that you are in a given position relative to another candidate purely on the basis that you have better GCSEs. You have an advantage in one area, but what weight is given to that is left to the tutors.

Thanks for the answers :smile:
Reply 2082
Original post by Tortious
This; just make it dark rather than grey!

Protip: if you get a black one, you can get away with wearing it to May Balls. :wink:

hello, what about ladies?
what colour/kind of shirts do we prepare for the gowns?
Original post by Amy Luo

Well, I tend to wear a suit (:awesome:) but smart black trousers/skirt should be fine.

For matriculation, you need a white shirt, probably something relatively plain and simple. For formal you can wear anything that looks smart really, so colourful dresses are OK (as long as they're a respectable length!). :smile:
Reply 2084
Well, I tend to wear a suit (:awesome:) but smart black trousers/skirt should be fine.

For matriculation, you need a white shirt, probably something relatively plain and simple. For formal you can wear anything that looks smart really, so colourful dresses are OK (as long as they're a respectable length!). :smile:

thank you i will get some dark and plain suits

also, i thought we are supposed to wear gowns in formals?
Original post by Amy Luo

Of course, but there's no need to try and co-ordinate your outfit with your gown - you're inevitably going to look like a Harry Potter extra anyway. :p:
Original post by Amy Luo

Try and get a plain white one with long sleeves and then take care of it and try not to shrink/grow. This means when you get to graduation, you don't have to spend hours looking for a suitable graduation outfit and/or fixing your old one. It will work out very well in the long run! (This is only really an issue for Matric/graduation but it seems searching for a suitable blouse in June is nearly impossible...)
Original post by Amy Luo

It depends on your college. For things like matriculation dinner then you definitely need a gown, but at some colleges (inc Clare) for regular formal then if you are dressed smartly you don't need a gown.
Original post by Helenia
It depends on your college. For things like matriculation dinner then you definitely need a gown, but at some colleges (inc Clare) for regular formal then if you are dressed smartly you don't need a gown.

And yet everyone at Clare seems to wear their gown to other colleges' formal, even where guests don't have to! :p:
I know there is a strict dress code for graduation (white shirt and black skirt for women). But do you also have to wear this for matriculation or can you also wear a smart dress, the same kind you would wear to formals?
Original post by Marijketje
I know there is a strict dress code for graduation (white shirt and black skirt for women). But do you also have to wear this for matriculation or can you also wear a smart dress, the same kind you would wear to formals?

My experience is that they are far more strict for matriculation (HAS to be white shirt and black skirt) than graduation (when we are allowed a long sleeved black or white dress instead, or black trousers).

I think I'm OK to link this since people aren't readily identifiable, but here's my matriculation photo:

Photo

As you can see, everyone's immaculately turned out. Matriculation isn't as formal as graduation, but I'd still opt for a smart black dress so you blend in with the boys and their boring suits. :p:

I wouldn't worry too much about what you're "allowed" to wear, but at the same time, better to err on the side of caution. :smile:
Original post by milienhaus

My experience is that they are far more strict for matriculation (HAS to be white shirt and black skirt) than graduation (when we are allowed a long sleeved black or white dress instead, or black trousers).

... Opposite way round for us. Matric was allowed to be black dress or white dress. Graduation has to be white blouse or shirt which is completely plain. And they are going to inspect us to ensure we meet this criteria and send us away if we don't. They didn't do that for matric.
Hmm.. So I guess it depends on the college I would go to.

But say I was to go to a college which did allow a dress. Would this be acceptable for matric?
07981783_large.jpg
Hmm.. So I guess it depends on the college I would go to.

But say I was to go to a college which did allow a dress. Would this be acceptable for matric?
07981783_large.jpg

I would doubt it, the word 'plain' was definitely on our instructions, sorry!
Reply 2095
I think I'm OK to link this since people aren't readily identifiable, but here's my matriculation photo:

Photo

As you can see, everyone's immaculately turned out. Matriculation isn't as formal as graduation, but I'd still opt for a smart black dress so you blend in with the boys and their boring suits. :p:

I wouldn't worry too much about what you're "allowed" to wear, but at the same time, better to err on the side of caution. :smile:

where is the photo? Do you have any websites that show a lot of the matric and graduation photos?
Original post by Amy Luo
where is the photo? Do you have any websites that show a lot of the matric and graduation photos?

The photo works for me (when you click the 'Photo' expand text it shows).

Photo

Seems like just about every guy is in a black suit. I only have a grey suit (dark grey but grey nonetheless). Should I invest in a black suit were I to get in?
Reply 2098
Original post by hassi94
Seems like just about every guy is in a black suit. I only have a grey suit (dark grey but grey nonetheless). Should I invest in a black suit were I to get in?

Mine was dark grey (though different college, different year) - you'll be fine with that. Eventually you'll probably have to invest in black tie for something else, but matriculation's not something to worry too much about - it's really just a formality.
Original post by hassi94

As lp386 says, I don't think it matters that much - it's very hard to tell what individual people are wearing from that photo because the colours are off and they're all wearing gowns! However, if you notice, the guy who looks like Jesus (back one row and to the right of the Praelector in the red stuff) is wearing grey and he looks good. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending