The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alexsasg
Thank you :smile: I'll definitely buy a laptop then, and when I get to Cambridge (grades permitting!) I may buy a bike there. Riding a bike while wearing a gown sounds..interesting :biggrin:
Can I also ask what you call students attending a particular college? I.e. I know those at Homerton are referred to as Homertonians etc, but I've got an offer from Magdalene so I was just wondering if there's something that Magdalene students are called?

Don't think there is one for Magdalene.

It's more common for some colleges than for others, I think. Eg, John's would use "Johnian" as an official term (see their website), but other colleges would be more like slang, eg Corpuscle.
Reply 201
Original post by Cast.Iron
This is really awkward, but King's College Chapel isn't a cathedral.

I know, but cathedral worked better with the joke...
When I was up for the interview, my friend's parents had been wandering around and said they'd been "opposite the cathedral", meaning King's, so I hope in a touristy way it might be defensible :p:
Reply 202
Are you likely to be burgled? It strikes me that being in college accommodation means someone had your key last year and may have had it cut... I'm not talking about a crazy amount of valuables, but I've got a desktop (which is supposed to last me the next few years) and it can be tricky to hide them under beds and in cupboards when out of the room...
Reply 203
Original post by Aesc
Are you likely to be burgled? It strikes me that being in college accommodation means someone had your key last year and may have had it cut... I'm not talking about a crazy amount of valuables, but I've got a desktop (which is supposed to last me the next few years) and it can be tricky to hide them under beds and in cupboards when out of the room...

That's quite extreme :lolwut: Most students live in uni or rented accommodation during their degree and I've never heard of that happening...
Original post by Aesc

If something was stolen, the people who stayed in your room previously would be suspects if there were no signs of breaking and entering.
Reply 205
Original post by ily_em
That's quite extreme :lolwut: Most students live in uni or rented accommodation during their degree and I've never heard of that happening...

Sorry, it's just that my dad told me the first thing I need to do is change the locks (which afaik isn't allowed) and that made me paranoid. But that's good to know, thanks!

Original post by Hypocrism
If something was stolen, the people who stayed in your room previously would be suspects if there were no signs of breaking and entering.

So not worth worrying too much about then, OK. Much appreciated :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 206
Original post by Aesc

You are more likely to have your bike stolen, than someone come into your room and steal things. Theft from room does happen, but the colleges are pretty secure, with card and code access through most doors and the porters lodge has security cameras.

As long as you lock your door and windows you should be fine.
Original post by Aesc

Many keys are marked with the college name, and locksmiths would be suspicious of anyone trying to make a copy of it. In some accommodation blocks to gain entry to the block or your room requires your university contactless card, whose permission is withdrawn remotely when you move.

Burglaries tend to happen because of people from the outside wandering into college and going into unlocked doors and windows. Overall students have far better morals than burgle the occupant of their previous room.

For computers you can invest in a cable lock that should deter most thieves.
Original post by ukdragon37

I don't think there's a set list of demonyms written down anywhere and I can't recall a specific one for Magdalene...

We also have a similar list for people doing a certain subject, e.g. CompSci, NatSci, Medic, Muso, Linguist/MMLer, Vet, Engling, Engineer, Geographer, Historian, Mathmo, Economist, Art Historian, Land Economist, Lawyer, Philosopher, Theologian...

Well, thanks anyway. :smile: Does there happen to be one for PPS by any chance?
Reply 209
1. Where are the maths lectures ?

2. Can you go to other college's bars? (and if so does it actually happen)

3. What is queens' like? (I apologise if this seems vague)

4. How many hours a day will I work on average (specifically for maths)?
Original post by deejayy

1. Some are at New Museums Site, AFAIK. EDIT: ok, seems I'm wrong based on the post below. Sorry lol.

2. Yes, and yes. At some, you will need members of that college to sign you in.

3. I don't go there, but I'm sure it's alright. I don't know anyone who goes there who complains about it anyway...
(edited 12 years ago)
Well, thanks anyway. :smile: Does there happen to be one for PPS by any chance?

I think PPSer is the only one I've seen used.

Original post by deejayy

1. First year they will be on Mill Lane in the city centre. Second year onwards they are in the Centre for Mathematical Sciences a bit out of town.

2. Yes, although usually you need someone of that college to let you in. It happens a lot.

3. Run of the mill college I guess? Might get a bit intimidated if you have to cross the Mathematical Bridge and there are turoists constantly snapping away at you.

4. That depends on how much emphasis you put on work and how much you are willing to put in. Even for maths this varies. 2 to 3 hours a day at least besides lectures and supervisions is what I've seen commonly of mathmos, but that's only for example sheets. As a mathmo you have the singular pleasure of writing out and organising your own lecture notes and a lot of people spend time doing just that.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thank you :smile: I'll definitely buy a laptop then, and when I get to Cambridge (grades permitting!) I may buy a bike there. Riding a bike while wearing a gown sounds..interesting :biggrin:
Can I also ask what you call students attending a particular college? I.e. I know those at Homerton are referred to as Homertonians etc, but I've got an offer from Magdalene so I was just wondering if there's something that Magdalene students are called?

Pleasure to help! Yep you can buy a bike down there that's what I did and it was quite a cheap one as bike crime in Cambridge is according to my college an "epidemic" haha

Hmmm I am not sure about Magdalene students! My college is virtually on the other end of Cambridge in comparison to Magdalene unfortunately but if I ever find out I will let you know!! But we have all sorts of different abbreviations such as plodge (porters lodge) , pidge (pigeon hole) it depends on the college really!! :smile:
Original post by anoushka1

Pleasure to help! Yep you can buy a bike down there that's what I did and it was quite a cheap one as bike crime in Cambridge is according to my college an "epidemic" haha

Hmmm I am not sure about Magdalene students! My college is virtually on the other end of Cambridge in comparison to Magdalene unfortunately but if I ever find out I will let you know!! But we have all sorts of different abbreviations such as plodge (porters lodge) , pidge (pigeon hole) it depends on the college really!! :smile:

Haha, that's what was said when I went up to visit Cambridge - must be the only place where the most common crime is bicycle theft!
Cool :smile: and thanks again, I've got a ton of questions to ask haha :colondollar: is there a lot of rivalry between colleges?
Haha, that's what was said when I went up to visit Cambridge - must be the only place where the most common crime is bicycle theft!
Cool :smile: and thanks again, I've got a ton of questions to ask haha :colondollar: is there a lot of rivalry between colleges?

Haha yep Cambridge is "special" in that way !! It's fine ask as many questions as you have!!
Ummm there is a bit of rivalry between some colleges the most notable one is that between Trinity and St John's but generally all students are lovely and it does not matter what college you are from. I suggest you go to swaps when you get to Cambridge because you get to meet loads of other people for different colleges and it is lovely to get to see what other formals are like and to have a wider social circle outside your college! But there is some academic rivalry, in lectures everyone sits with their own college most of the time but there is some intermingling :smile:
Reply 215
Original post by Dogatonic
How do you cope with the lack of street lighting inside some colleges? Do people generally bring torches with them when they're walking around at night?

Some do. Lighting tends to be mostly okay inside colleges, except perhaps in the gardens at a few, but some places in and around town are very badly lit.

Original post by deejayy
1. First year they will be on Mill Lane in the city centre. Second year onwards they are in the Centre for Mathematical Sciences a bit out of town.

Not so; Part IA lectures are in the Cockcroft Lecture Theatre on the New Museums site, Part IB lectures are in Room 3 in the Mill Lane Lecture Rooms, and they're in the CMS for Parts II and III.
is there a lot of rivalry between colleges?

Heard of the phrase "we'd rather go to Oxford than St. John's"?
Original post by nuodai
Not so; Part IA lectures are in the Cockcroft Lecture Theatre on the New Museums site, Part IB lectures are in Room 3 in the Mill Lane Lecture Rooms, and they're in the CMS for Parts II and III.

Ah yes! They have to be in Cockcroft to explain the stories about paper aeroplanes in IA :tongue:

Haha yep Cambridge is "special" in that way !! It's fine ask as many questions as you have!!
Ummm there is a bit of rivalry between some colleges the most notable one is that between Trinity and St John's but generally all students are lovely and it does not matter what college you are from. I suggest you go to swaps when you get to Cambridge because you get to meet loads of other people for different colleges and it is lovely to get to see what other formals are like and to have a wider social circle outside your college! But there is some academic rivalry, in lectures everyone sits with their own college most of the time but there is some intermingling :smile:

Okay, cool :smile: How exactly do swaps work/who organises them? This might sound silly, but do you get the pick the college which you'll go to during the swap, or is it randomly allocated?
Heard of the phrase "we'd rather go to Oxford than St. John's"?

I'm afraid I haven't! Wow, clearly there is some evident rivalry with St. Johns...I'm guessing you're a Trinity student?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending