The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lorrianne_joseph
Hi
I would like to do Medicine at Cambridge but I dont know what college I would pick. Do you have any ideas at to what college I should go to

Thanks

Depends how much you care about being close to lectures compared with other things. Look for somewhere you'd like to live. Check how many essays you have to write as it does vary.

Clare would be a good choice :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
What's the accommodation like at Downing College?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6382
Original post by Leechayy
What's the accommodation like at Downing College?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've got an offer for this year's entry, and from what I've seen, most of it is a ridiculously high standard. Most freshers will get hotel-standard accommodation, with nearly all rooms en-suite. You pick your accommodation after results day based on what price you are willing to pay - rents are quite expensive (ranges from £98 - £165 p/w for 2014/15) but contracts are comparably shorter than at other unis. There are more basic rooms with shared facilities that are a lot smaller, with prices to match.
Photos etc. here - first years are usually in the first 4 linked accommodations.
You usually move out onto Lensfield Road (just behind the college) in second year, but some stay in the main part of college too.
Anyone know a reasonably cheap barbers? I usually get my hair cut at home but I'd rather not look like George of the Jungle for May Week!
Original post by St. Brynjar
Anyone know a reasonably cheap barbers? I usually get my hair cut at home but I'd rather not look like George of the Jungle for May Week!

Lui's on pembroke street. £8 for students on thursday
Original post by willp93

Cheers :smile:
Original post by St. Brynjar

There are three or four in the area around the Pitt Building/Fitzbillies/Pembroke Street. A friend of mine swears by Mr Polito's, although I gather they're a bit pricier than the place willp93 mentioned above. In any case you're relatively spoilt for choice.
Original post by willp93

My boyfriend uses a pretty cheap barbers on Regent street - not sure what it's called but it's practically opposite Downing college; I think it's next to Nanna Mexico or whatever it's called :tongue:
Original post by JessFinch74
My boyfriend uses a pretty cheap barbers on Regent street - not sure what it's called but it's practically opposite Downing college; I think it's next to Nanna Mexico or whatever it's called :tongue:

wow, so there is! ive been at downing for 2 years and not noticed it :P lui's is still a little cheaper though
I have some questions:

1. Are colleges of Cambridge have different prestige when it comes to medicine?

2. Why is Trinity so popular?

3. From where are most of the 22 international students that be admitted into Cambridge for medicine?
Original post by alifleih
I have some questions:

3. From where are most of the 22 international students that be admitted into Cambridge for medicine?

1) Not really. Caius is traditionally known for medicine and takes more students per year than any other college (~25, most take 8-12 though a few take more), but within the university nobody's really bothered.

2) Because it's big, rich and people have heard of it. I was never particularly convinced it was better than anywhere else.

3) Mostly but not exclusively South-East Asia - Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Singapore, India etc.
I have some questions:

Cauis

Money

Varies

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have some questions:

1. Not especially. Caius takes a lot of medics, but I don't know if I'd necessarily say that it's more "prestigious" for medicine.

2. It is the most prestigious college overall.

3. Don't know.
Umm... Read this somewhere here in the forum that the average age of MPhil students is either or lesser than 27. Well, is this right?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by meh_meh_meh
Umm... Read this somewhere here in the forum that the average age of MPhil students is either or lesser than 27. Well, is this right?

sounds about right for my college. That doesn't mean there aren't older people but there are also many 22 year olds (and even some 21 year olds) so the average changes a lot.
Cheapest college to stay at year round?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Obiejess
Cheapest college to stay at year round?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Id guess is would be either trinity or johns as they have the highest rent subsidies

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6397
Original post by Goods
Id guess is would be either trinity or johns as they have the highest rent subsidies

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not true. There was a bursar meeting a couple of years back and they decided to make the rents pretty similar across colleges, so that applicants would not have to think about that when applying. Of course there is still significant variation, but I wouldn't say John's or Trinity are particularly different. St John's has pretty typical rents in the range of £850-£1400 per term.
Has anyone heard anything from the Cambridge Trusts? (International students)
Original post by consciousness
Has anyone heard anything from the Cambridge Trusts? (International students)

I read somewhere in the Cam site that the Trust continues to consider new applicants April through to July. Considering it is almost June, I mean, are there really cases of funding actually being handed out this late, or is it only when someone who chooses not to accept his/her scholarship that creates space to consider another applicant? Really curious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending