The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6720
Hey sorry to hijack your thread but I've a quick question on supervisions!!

I'm going into first year and was wondering how they pick the supervision groups? Is it by alphabetical order or is it just random?
It probably differs between colleges, but what is it like at yours?
Original post by 566

I'm going into first year and was wondering how they pick the supervision groups? Is it by alphabetical order or is it just random?

I just moved this into a more appropriate thread for you :smile:
Original post by 566

It was random for Medics in Emmanuel, at least in first year. Second year we chose our own times based on when we're free. I do know that for maths, they ordered them by ability in 2nd year onwards.
Reply 6723
Does St Catherines provide ensuites for 3 years?
Original post by 566

In maths at John's they were set by estimated ability (i.e. STEP result and impression from interview) to start with, and then readjusted according to how well people were doing in supervisions/exams/mocks/etc.
Reply 6725
I think this has been asked before (sorry) but what's the earliest I should be definitely be out of Cambridge? I know term ends of December 5, but will it depend on my subject/college? And then same question for going back in January? I'm trying to apply for Christmas jobs and I'm not sure when I can be available!
Original post by BWCW
I think this has been asked before (sorry) but what's the earliest I should be definitely be out of Cambridge? I know term ends of December 5, but will it depend on my subject/college? And then same question for going back in January? I'm trying to apply for Christmas jobs and I'm not sure when I can be available!

lectures will end on the 3rd (wednesday). you will possibly have DoS or tutor meetings in the couple of days after, as well as a couple of late supervisions. you could definitely be gone by the 5th or 6th though! :smile:

and going back you could get away with returning on the monday of the 1st week, although most will return on that weekend!
Original post by BWCW
I'm trying to apply for Christmas jobs and I'm not sure when I can be available!

Be careful with how many hours you take on. You'll need some time in the break to do uni work, and you'll need some time to rest too. First term can come as a bit of a shock.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
Be careful with how many hours you take on. You'll need some time in the break to do uni work, and you'll need some time to rest too. First term can come as a bit of a shock.

its geography ;P
Reply 6729
Original post by willp93
lectures will end on the 3rd (wednesday). you will possibly have DoS or tutor meetings in the couple of days after, as well as a couple of late supervisions. you could definitely be gone by the 5th or 6th though! :smile:

and going back you could get away with returning on the monday of the 1st week, although most will return on that weekend!

Ok, good to know, that's what I thought! Thank you. :smile:

Original post by TimmonaPortella

Ah, fair point. Definitely, I want some rest. I'll make sure I won't go full time or anything, haha!

Original post by willp93
its geography ;P

Watch it you!!!
Reply 6730
Original post by fluteflute
I just moved this into a more appropriate thread for you :smile:

Thanks!

Original post by FiniteMr
It was random for Medics in Emmanuel, at least in first year. Second year we chose our own times based on when we're free. I do know that for maths, they ordered them by ability in 2nd year onwards.

Ahh right okay. What do you mean by when you're free? Is it like your extracurriculars or is it like different lecture times based on what set you're in?
Further questions: when did you find out what set you were in for medicine?
Also, are people randomly put into their sets or is that by alphabetical order? (for you at least!)
Thanks for the reply!!

Original post by ClickItBack
In maths at John's they were set by estimated ability (i.e. STEP result and impression from interview) to start with, and then readjusted according to how well people were doing in supervisions/exams/mocks/etc.

Ahh right okay, thank you!
Original post by Pliskin
Hi, quick question. Can I apply to two courses at Cambridge in one year? For example Maths and physical Natural Sciences? Or can I only pick one course at one college?

Given that you sound like you want to get into Theoretical Physics, apply to Mathematics with Physics, i.e. the Mathematics B option, and then decide concretely at the end of the year.
It's got nice spread of material and you won't have to burn your Organic Chemistry notes in Parker's Piece later.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 566
Ahh right okay. What do you mean by when you're free? Is it like your extracurriculars or is it like different lecture times based on what set you're in?
Further questions: when did you find out what set you were in for medicine?
Also, are people randomly put into their sets or is that by alphabetical order? (for you at least!)
Thanks for the reply!!

When you choose your own supervisions, the supervisor will give you a list of times, and you can choose which one you want. Some courses have variable lectures and people won't go to the same, or English students for example often do few lectures, so everybody will have different times they choose to do supervisions. Are you coming here for medicine?

We found out in the first few days of freshers' when our DoS had a meeting with all our medics. We appeared to be in random groups, although of course it could have been based on results, although in hindsight it doesn't seem like that. But there was no problem with permanently swapping between groups when there was a clash with an extra-curricular.
Can someone explain the difference between engineering course at Oxford and Cambridge?
Original post by peterith
Can someone explain the difference between engineering course at Oxford and Cambridge?

It's quite unlikely anyone on here went to both... Cambridge is higher up in the rankings and maybe slightly better known for Science / Engineering stuff. That's what I definitely know.

A quick inspection of the Oxford Engineering page shows me that the first two years at least look virtually identical to the Cambridge Engineering course I'm doing. I'm guessing there aren't many differences, really.
Reply 6735
When you choose your own supervisions, the supervisor will give you a list of times, and you can choose which one you want. Some courses have variable lectures and people won't go to the same, or English students for example often do few lectures, so everybody will have different times they choose to do supervisions. Are you coming here for medicine?

We found out in the first few days of freshers' when our DoS had a meeting with all our medics. We appeared to be in random groups, although of course it could have been based on results, although in hindsight it doesn't seem like that. But there was no problem with permanently swapping between groups when there was a clash with an extra-curricular.

Yes I am!
Ah thanks so much for the info!
I'm just soooooo excited to start now lol
At Trinity, would it be possible to stay in college between terms? How much extra would it be?
Does anyone know how membership to the university gym works? It says it's 'paid by college contribution' for matriculated students but I don't know what that means?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KongShou
At Trinity, would it be possible to stay in college between terms? How much extra would it be?

Colleges generally allow people to stay at a slightly higher rate than term costs. I have no idea what Trinity specifically does, though.

(Are you the same KongShou involved in speedcubing?)
Colleges generally allow people to stay at a slightly higher rate than term costs. I have no idea what Trinity specifically does, though.

(Are you the same KongShou involved in speedcubing?)

Thanks!

And yes i am :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending