The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Obiejess
I can't ride a bike. Is it really that necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it's not absolutely necessary. Cambridge is not a huge place, and as long as you're not in Girton or something, you should be able to make do (and even if you are in Girton, I'm sure it's manageable). I didn't have a bike when I was there and it was fine. Anyway, the streets are so crowded with bikes, tourists, cars, etc., it's actually a bit scary and dangerous to ride at times... Also, there's a major probably with bike theft!
hi,
can people that do or have done chemistry as level give me recommendations of books to buy for revision. like books that dont give too much information but enough, or ones that help with understanding and dont beat around the bush with the information needed.

Right now use the "george facer edexcel chemistry aslevel book" and find that t doesnt help me at all and doesnt correspond with the markscheme.
thank you
Original post by Obiejess
I can't ride a bike. Is it really that necessary?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not essential, but makes life much quicker and more convenient. If you are at one of the further out colleges then walking into town for everything would get tedious very quickly. Handy if you do sports or row, as these are a little way outside the centre, and getting back from rowing to 9am lectures on foot would be challenging.
Original post by Helenia
Not essential, but makes life much quicker and more convenient. If you are at one of the further out colleges then walking into town for everything would get tedious very quickly. Handy if you do sports or row, as these are a little way outside the centre, and getting back from rowing to 9am lectures on foot would be challenging.

(If I get in) I want to buy and use one, because I'd like to do exercise and it's convenient, but I'm a massive wimp and not at all athletic. Any tips on not being crushed by a bus?
Can't help but post this again :colone:

[video="youtube;XA_Crc67SAM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA_Crc67SAM[/video]

So yeah... you might want to be confident on a bike before riding in Cambridge.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
(If I get in) I want to buy and use one, because I'd like to do exercise and it's convenient, but I'm a massive wimp and not at all athletic. Any tips on not being crushed by a bus?

Yeah, don't get in the way of buses! :p:

Seriously though, you don't need to be athletic in any way to ride a bike around Cambridge; the majority of the town is completely flat and people go along at a huge range of speeds. Knowing where you're going, and anticipating other people doing stupid stuff are the two major things that will keep you safe. If you can drive you will, IMO, be at an advantage because you should have better road awareness than someone who's never learned. Remember to look behind you before turning and try to signal where possible.

Getting flattened by a bus is very unlikely. Far more common is minor tangles with other cyclists or pedestrians. Tourists, especially on King's Parade, will not look for bikes before stepping into the road to take photos etc. I came off a handful of times in 6 years there, and only sustained one significant injury (fairly minor elbow fracture) - and that was while umpiring a rowing race from the towpath, not on the road!
I know it's not possible to maintain a full time job whilst at uni but are you can work at your college? What sort of jobs can you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dadiamondz
I know it's not possible to maintain a full time job whilst at uni but are you can work at your college? What sort of jobs can you do?

Jesus College, for instance, runs a telephone campaign, where they get students to ring up alumni asking for donations. That's paid, and is outside term time. However, it's *strongly* advised not to have any kind of job (perhaps with the unofficial exception of tutoring) during term. Studying just takes too much time.
Small question about college bills. Do you pay for rent, deposit etc. at the beginning of term and then all the food at the end of term ? Or is the food carried over to your next bill?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smaug123
Jesus College, for instance, runs a telephone campaign, where they get students to ring up alumni asking for donations. That's paid, and is outside term time. However, it's *strongly* advised not to have any kind of job (perhaps with the unofficial exception of tutoring) during term. Studying just takes too much time.

There are some officially sanctioned jobs like helping in the college library or bar/cafe. Also I knew some students who worked as bedders outside of term time. But yes I would also so it is better not to have a job if you can avoid it - thinking back to my time at Cambridge I could only have maintained a job if I gave up some extracurriculars (sport, music, etc.).
Reply 6790
Hey guys! i have a question for all those who applied for open application. Are you notified of your allocated college in any way? And when would that be? Thanks in advance ~
Original post by TJLJT
Hey guys! i have a question for all those who applied for open application. Are you notified of your allocated college in any way? And when would that be? Thanks in advance ~

Yes, you are, they send you an email. I think I got it shortly after the application deadline.
Reply 6792
Original post by TheGrandmaster
Yes, you are, they send you an email. I think I got it shortly after the application deadline.

I didn't get anything till now (today is the SAQ deadline)...by deadline did u mean the ucas deadline or the one for SAQ? Or could this be because im international?
Original post by TJLJT
I didn't get anything till now (today is the SAQ deadline)...by deadline did u mean the ucas deadline or the one for SAQ? Or could this be because im international?

Maybe email Camb admissions office about it. I am surprised Open applications aren't notified sooner to tell them which college you've been allocated to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6794
Original post by jneill
Maybe email Camb admissions office about it. I am surprised Open applications aren't notified sooner to tell them which college you've been allocated to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They said the college will inform me shortly. How short is shortly haha....
Original post by dadiamondz
Small question about college bills. Do you pay for rent, deposit etc. at the beginning of term and then all the food at the end of term ? Or is the food carried over to your next bill?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure we have to pay the food and electric (dependent on college) bill at the end of term, though would want to double check this myself! Been trying to keep track of what is on my college card...
I can only speak for Jesus College but you pay your rent, kfc and service charge at the beginning of term and then you put money on your card as it were to spend in the caff

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katyb77
I can only speak for Jesus College but you pay your rent, kfc and service charge at the beginning of term and then you put money on your card as it were to spend in the caff

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm Newnham and we just pay off whatever we put onto our card over the term (have since asked a second-year!), at the end.
Hi guys,

Just wondering if any of you all know what are the weightages of the overseas interviews, TSA's MCQ and essay? How much do they take into consideration?

I just had my TSA and messed up my essay quite a fair bit, almost completely ): what are my remaining chances of getting into Cambridge?
Made a Cambridge Economics interview tips thread here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2936073

Would be beneficial for all of us to share ideas/tips. Would be great if those that have been through the process could post things that they would have done better in preparation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending