The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Hey, if any of you are interested, you can check out a youtube channel I set up last month. I'm a 1st year undergrad at King's studying Computer Science. I'll upload more vlogs as soon as the exams are over 😊

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR8WxgTq4tDh9ei0c8TCnZw
Thanks PandaJules - already watched them and look forward to more, when you have time.
Do most colleges have facilities to allow their students to print out work/other resources for free? If not, is it common for most departments to have such facilities?
Original post by highestmountain
Do most colleges have facilities to allow their students to print out work/other resources for free? If not, is it common for most departments to have such facilities?

Most colleges (usually their library) charge small amount for printing-out. Similar situation for most departments.
Some students bring their own printer from home to keep in their room.

In King's printing stuff in the Library can get quite expensive. Initially you have 5pounds on your card and can later do top-ups if you need it. Typical prices are:

Printer: (per sheet, no matter whether single or double sided)
A4 black/white - 5p
A4 colour - 30p
A3 bl/wh - 10p
A3 colour - 60p

Photocopying -
A4 black/white - 6p
A4 colour - 24p
A3 bl/wh - 12p
A3 colour - 48p

Scanner is for free. I never do it at college, because it is cheaper at Computer Lab for me. I don't remember exactly but it's like 20p for black and white up to a certain number of pages. I did 3 and 11 and it was still 20p. But I don't think people from other dept can use it. Also, maybe other colleges have cheaper facilities. I would be interested to know.
Original post by PandaJules
Hey, if any of you are interested, you can check out a youtube channel I set up last month. I'm a 1st year undergrad at King's studying Computer Science. I'll upload more vlogs as soon as the exams are over 😊

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR8WxgTq4tDh9ei0c8TCnZw

Just a suggestion, if you want to get your videos seen by a wider audience than you should maybe try commenting on one of his videos/tweeting jake wright - he made vlogs for 2 years of his comp sci degree, getting about 61k subscribers in the process and im sure some of those people would be interested in seeing your videos. (Your videos are great btw)
Do you ever get bored at Cambridge? I went there fro a masterclass, and idk if I will be able to go there for 6 years because it seems really small and quiet.
In King's printing stuff in the Library can get quite expensive. Initially you have 5pounds on your card and can later do top-ups if you need it. Typical prices are:

Printer: (per sheet, no matter whether single or double sided)
A4 black/white - 5p
A4 colour - 30p
A3 bl/wh - 10p
A3 colour - 60p

Photocopying -
A4 black/white - 6p
A4 colour - 24p
A3 bl/wh - 12p
A3 colour - 48p

Scanner is for free. I never do it at college, because it is cheaper at Computer Lab for me. I don't remember exactly but it's like 20p for black and white up to a certain number of pages. I did 3 and 11 and it was still 20p. But I don't think people from other dept can use it. Also, maybe other colleges have cheaper facilities. I would be interested to know.

It does vary. Queens' is free for b&w if you provide your own paper.

http://www.queens.cam.ac.uk/teaching-learning/computing/college-computer-room

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by NeverGrowUp
Do you ever get bored at Cambridge? I went there fro a masterclass, and idk if I will be able to go there for 6 years because it seems really small and quiet.

I can't say that in the two years that I've now been here I've ever been bored - there is always so much going on. There are tons of societies, sports or other things to get yourself involved in - it is what you make it.
Original post by samb1234
Just a suggestion, if you want to get your videos seen by a wider audience than you should maybe try commenting on one of his videos/tweeting jake wright - he made vlogs for 2 years of his comp sci degree, getting about 61k subscribers in the process and im sure some of those people would be interested in seeing your videos. (Your videos are great btw)

Thank you! I have been thinking of this for a long time! And every time he posts I want to comment, but I feel so...I don't know. It doesn't feel right to 'steal' subscribers and say "Hey guys, Jake finished his undergrad, wanna check out my channel?" I totally get what you mean. Maybe a bit later when all the drunk blogs will pass =)
Thank you! I have been thinking of this for a long time! And every time he posts I want to comment, but I feel so...I don't know. It doesn't feel right to 'steal' subscribers and say "Hey guys, Jake finished his undergrad, wanna check out my channel?" I totally get what you mean. Maybe a bit later when all the drunk blogs will pass =)

Haha yeah I know what you mean, it's completely up to you of course. Also I don't know if it would be of interest to you but simonoxfphys does some live streams on going to uni and as far as I know he doesn't have any international students on there so if it was something you were interested in that could be an option. Obviously just do whatever you want to do, don't feel pressured into doing anything and have a great summer.
Original post by samb1234
Haha yeah I know what you mean, it's completely up to you of course. Also I don't know if it would be of interest to you but simonoxfphys does some live streams on going to uni and as far as I know he doesn't have any international students on there so if it was something you were interested in that could be an option. Obviously just do whatever you want to do, don't feel pressured into doing anything and have a great summer.

Yeah! I watched his latest one where there were like 4 of them. Three of my questions got answered =) Mental health, alcohol and something else. I'll try to sneak into their community step by step. And then we'll see - maybe my channel will start to grow. Thanks for the advice!
Yeah! I watched his latest one where there were like 4 of them. Three of my questions got answered =) Mental health, alcohol and something else. I'll try to sneak into their community step by step. And then we'll see - maybe my channel will start to grow. Thanks for the advice!

No problem, I don't really know anything about video making tbh so good on you - it's nice to be able to see what the first few days at cambridge are like

I was 'only' there for 3 years but I was never bored, no. :nah: :h:

You mean Cambridge as a town?
If so, the most recent Cambridge graduates in our family (my daughter and her cousin) who were at Cambridge expressed more than a few times Cambridge (as a town) was a bit too small to their liking and lacks choice and diversity in shops, restaurants, etc. And sometimes feels claustphobic because it seemed as if everything in and around town is related to the university and there is no escape or break.

But bored as a result of that? Not so much, probably. It's mainly because the life there as a Cambridge student is quite intense for its academic demand and also there're lots of non-academic/social things the university/college offer that you can get involved in and enjoy, like sports clubs/societies, etc. Most students don't physically have time to get bored as their timetables were always so full. But mentally, perhaps yes to some people . My daughter wanted to ship the whole university, all its facility and people (including the river. She was a rower....) to London, so that she could have the best of both worlds.
But London is less than 1-hr train journey away and their terms are so short, so it's not like you're stuck there 365days every year.

Must admit many students seem to feel they've had enough and it's time to get out after 3/4 yrs, though.
If you're a medic (hence 6 yrs?), about a half of them get out of Cambridge and go somewhere else for clinical course, so if you don't want to spend 6 yrs there, you don't have to. ( though it's pity they had cut their ties with medical schools in London last year....)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
Must admit many students seem to feel they've had enough and it's time to get out after 3/4 yrs, though.

I feel like this (about to finish my fourth year), but that's more because of the pace and difficulty than anything to do with Cambridge. In principle, I'd happily take a job in Cambridge, or even in the university; it's just that my kind of university job requires a PhD.
Original post by Smaug123
I feel like this (about to finish my fourth year), but that's more because of the pace and difficulty than anything to do with Cambridge. In principle, I'd happily take a job in Cambridge, or even in the university; it's just that my kind of university job requires a PhD.

Yeah, that's definitely a part of the reason for many, too.
And it probably depend on what sort of area/town you originality came from and/or if you prefer a big city life or quieter environment that'd affect how you feel about Cambridge as a town too.
My daughter (from London suburb) had enough of Cambridge town well before she had enough of the university while some of her friends didn't think Cambridge as a town was too small as it's much bigger than where they're from.

But whatever they felt at the time of graduation, they all miss their days at Cambridge now and never miss an opportunity to go back there to get together with old mates at college/club, etc.
But that's very different from being there as a student and having to work.....:tongue:

Congrats on surviving 4yrs at Cambridge btw. Just a few months to go. Good luck with the final exams!! :smile:

You won't have time to be bored.
I know that friendly college banter is a great thing and is part of the whole experience but are there any people who genuinely adopt some kind of superiority complex because they go to x college and look down on others because they go to y college?
I know that friendly college banter is a great thing and is part of the whole experience but are there any people who genuinely adopt some kind of superiority complex because they go to x college and look down on others because they go to y college?

Not that I've ever come across.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending