The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Queen Mary & Psychology?

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering what Psych. is like at Queen Mary? Tbh, I haven't really heard much about it in the threads in the QMUL section (I done a whole search) like I haven't heard of a single person who does Psychology at QM on TSR lol.

What kind of facilities do they have?
I noticed there wasn't a Psychology society? :frown: .. which has led me to assume that perhaps Psychology isn't really given much attention to at QM? I mean I know the university is well-known for Law, Medicine, English etc. do most of the money/resources go towards supporting those particular subjects which are doing well in league tables?

Also, what are the career prospects like for QM psychology graduates?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Anyone? :smile:
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Hello!

I think this is probably a little bit late, but I'll answer your questions anyway just in case you're still considering QM.
The department has a strong scientific and research focus- as they only offer the BSc not the BA- and as a department we do well within the school. Resource-wise Psychology has a great range, so much so that they've even spent money building a bee lab- don't ask why bees I don't think any of us really know... The reason QM aren't as well known for Psych as they probably should be is that the degree is still very new particularly compared to subjects such as Law and Medicine (although they're technically Barts and we don't talk about that :wink: ). Also, there was a great deal of time and effort put into gaining the psychology degree BPS accreditation, which is necessary if you want any sort of career as a chartered psychologist and is something not all universities offer. Career-wise QM have a lot of support for their students and even as a first year we get outside speakers for talks regarding potential careers we may be interested in. The prospects of employability increase if you attend any London University so there is always that to consider when making your decision.

I hope this helps, and if there's anything else you need you can always PM me!

Quick Reply