The Student Room Group

OCR A2 'Drama and Poetry pre-1800' 20th June 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
can someone please provide me a list of possible themes that could come up for Othello?
Reply 101
Original post by Charlotte_19
Anyone know where you find the AO weightings for Shakespeare and the comparison texts? Are they the same or different?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

No, the dominant AOs in each section are as follows:
Section A: AO2 (analysis of language) and AO3 (critical analysis)
Section B: AO3 (critical analysis) and AO4 (historical and thematic context)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by artiemead
No, the dominant AOs in each section are as follows:
Section A: AO2 (analysis of language) and AO3 (critical analysis)
Section B: AO3 (critical analysis) and AO4 (historical and thematic context)

Reply 103
Original post by Charlotte_19

In Section A, all you have to do is touch on historical context for AO4 and for Section B just describe some kind of language that is significant like Faustus saying how Helen of Troy's face is the face that "burned the topless towers of Ilium", which precursor's his impending damnation. something like that :smile:
The more important part of AO3 in Section B is comparing texts. In the examiners' reports they say that the "different readings" part of AO3 isn't massively important--something that should ideally be there but isn't a big deal.
Does anyone know if anything about appearance/reality or verisimilitude could come up for Othello? I quite like the question, but I don't have access to all the past papers so I don't know how likely it is to come up.
Original post by cerrr
I think that in terms of critics you can't say, 'I usually put this many in' because then doesn't it seem rather forced, just like you are trying to tick the boxes. I think it's important that it sounds natural rather than just dumped in because you think you should have criticisms.
Having said that I usually put in at least one per main point, whether it be a quote or a reference to a production.

This. When I plan my essay at the beginning of my time (I've forced myself into this habit this year because it's nigh on impossible to structure otherwise!), I just note down the name of every critical reading I think might be relevant next to the points of my argument, and weave them in as I go... I don't really have a target number.
Original post by HolyFuzazzle
Does anyone know if anything about appearance/reality or verisimilitude could come up for Othello? I quite like the question, but I don't have access to all the past papers so I don't know how likely it is to come up.

verisimil-what now?
Original post by malvika111
verisimil-what now?

The appearance of being true/real but not being so XD I think it's relevant but I don't know how likely a question is on it.

Appearance V Reality would be a good one. (I think a word like 'versimilitude' would be a bit ambitious for an A-Level question...) There has already been one about 'the need for certainty', which probably touches on similar ideas, but I imagine it's probably sufficiently different to work. I'd like that one.
Original post by LeSacMagique
Appearance V Reality would be a good one. (I think a word like 'versimilitude' would be a bit ambitious for an A-Level question...) There has already been one about 'the need for certainty', which probably touches on similar ideas, but I imagine it's probably sufficiently different to work. I'd like that one.

I didn't realise it was that rare a word XD But yeah, you're probably right.
Oh I think I've had that question.... Yeah me too :smile: Do you think it could come up in relation to Iago or the play in general?
The appearance of being true/real but not being so XD I think it's relevant but I don't know how likely a question is on it.

Ah. :tongue: Well, considering that most people on here think one of the questions will be Othello-centric... It might turn up in a Leavis sense - disguising Othello behind an "obtuse and brutal egotism"... the lack of self-recognition, his tendency towards self-dramatisation and narrative self-fashioning. It would actually be quite interesting to address - if not in a direct appearance/reality sense, then at least in a consideration of Othello's otherness or in an exploration of why he succumbs so easily to Iago's machinations.
Ah. :tongue: Well, considering that most people on here think one of the questions will be Othello-centric... It might turn up in a Leavis sense - disguising Othello behind an "obtuse and brutal egotism"... the lack of self-recognition, his tendency towards self-dramatisation and narrative self-fashioning. It would actually be quite interesting to address - if not in a direct appearance/reality sense, then at least in a consideration of Othello's otherness or in an exploration of why he succumbs so easily to Iago's machinations.

That's certainly an interesting perspective, the way Othello presents himself.
I think it'd be a good one because you could also bring women into it... Women are not what they seem, as Iago points out to Desdemona early on in the play, and misconceptions as a whole.
That's certainly an interesting perspective, the way Othello presents himself.
I think it'd be a good one because you could also bring women into it... Women are not what they seem, as Iago points out to Desdemona early on in the play, and misconceptions as a whole.

Oooh, yes! And how women are unable to change these misconceptions because their position in society prevents them from having a voice. I find it so irritating that critic upon critic targets Emilia for not saving Desdemona, but she does defend her against Othello's allegations of infidelity! Othello just says, well she's a "simple bawd" so she can't possibly know what she's talking about. She's damned if she does, damned if she doesn't...
Reply 114
Othello, Pardoner's Tale and Dr. Faustus anyone?
I'm finding the Othello bit harder actually, I like the comparison between the two other texts. I need help with language analysis for Othello if anyone can offer it? I can exchange contextual knowledge! haha :P
Original post by Duncan123
Othello, Pardoner's Tale and Dr. Faustus anyone?
I'm finding the Othello bit harder actually, I like the comparison between the two other texts. I need help with language analysis for Othello if anyone can offer it? I can exchange contextual knowledge! haha :P

Any particular area of the text, like character or dramatic techniques? I can offer language help if there's a bit more of a focus. :tongue:
Oooh, yes! And how women are unable to change these misconceptions because their position in society prevents them from having a voice. I find it so irritating that critic upon critic targets Emilia for not saving Desdemona, but she does defend her against Othello's allegations of infidelity! Othello just says, well she's a "simple bawd" so she can't possibly know what she's talking about. She's damned if she does, damned if she doesn't...

Yeah, exactly! I like Emilia, personally XD I would love it if this came up - You could even mention how Othello is described as some sort of savage before his appearance in the play, and how different he seems, the whole appearance/preconception thing, initially anyway, so you could bring race and being an outsider into it as well.
Yeah, exactly! I like Emilia, personally XD I would love it if this came up - You could even mention how Othello is described as some sort of savage before his appearance in the play, and how different he seems, the whole appearance/preconception thing, initially anyway, so you could bring race and being an outsider into it as well.

... oh yeah, and how this initially shaped by Iago's unreliable narration, before we even meet him. Contemporary audiences would've probably been more able to relate with Iago's negative representation of the Moor in Jacobean England rather than the noble Moor that Shakespeare presents him as.

Ahem. Clearly we should just write the exam questions. :wink:
... oh yeah, and how this initially shaped by Iago's unreliable narration, before we even meet him. Contemporary audiences would've probably been more able to relate with Iago's negative representation of the Moor in Jacobean England rather than the noble Moor that Shakespeare presents him as.

Ahem. Clearly we should just write the exam questions. :wink:

We totally should.

You seem so prepared for this exam DX You bring context in at everything and you seem to know critics and I'm just dying here cuz I keep having to focus on my other exam DX
It sounds stupid but do you think the content of what you write is detrimental to your grade? Obviously what you wrote about is important/question focus etc but surely if you hit all the AOs then you can still get a reasonable grade even if you're a little off with the content?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending