The Student Room Group

Punjabi Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
yeah but this ones got more posts
Original post by pinda.college
Merah pind Jalandhar deh kul ya.

People offer alcohol in the local Gurdwara as parshad (do not worry if you're shocked/offended by this, many are however, there is a reason why they carry out this practice:rolleyes:

Here's a video- http://wn.com/BABA_KAHAN_DASS__Kala_Sangha

If you are interested in reading more about this then Baba Kahan Dass is the person to search.

they offer alcohol as parshad...?! :O
i thought that happened at the deras not gurdwaras...
Reply 42
lol theres always a weird variant of practice ..like eating meat or drinking whisky in a gurdwara, everyones just weird like that, they take something and try to justify a reason why it aint bad

id love to see some people get offended at it, usually we go to gurdwara on weddings and drink 2 hrs later at the reception.

sikh life :bhangra:
Original post by KaurPrincess
Sat sri akal!
Welcome to the Punjabi Soc, where you can talk about anything (hopefully punjabi-related)
Anyone can join, if they are interested in Punjabi language, culture, food, music etc
=)

ao jee sikhni!!
Original post by LawYah
lol theres always a weird variant of practice ..like eating meat or drinking whisky in a gurdwara, everyones just weird like that, they take something and try to justify a reason why it aint bad

id love to see some people get offended at it, usually we go to gurdwara on weddings and drink 2 hrs later at the reception.

bruahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Original post by LawYah

:O more punjabi life i hope, rather than sikh....
Reply 46
Au twadi...kenyan punjabi here (parents from punjab) born in nairobi came to inglaind 1989
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 47
:O more punjabi life i hope, rather than sikh....

nahh cuz I know pakistani people who are punjabi but are muslim and dont drink.

its definitely a sikh thing
Original post by LawYah
nahh cuz I know pakistani people who are punjabi but are muslim and dont drink.

its definitely a sikh thing

bruahhhhhhhhhhhh we sikhs know how to drink.
Original post by Lehmber Hussainpuri

=(
sikhs shouldn't drink
(yeah i am more orthodox i guess?)
Reply 50
how old are you though?
Reply 51
=(
sikhs shouldn't drink
(yeah i am more orthodox i guess?)

Baptised Sikhs do not others are part timers
Why shouldn't sikhs drink?
Original post by kimprovising
Why shouldn't sikhs drink?

sikh shouldn't use any type of intoxicant, including alcohol (especially baptised sikhs, but if you're faithful to your religion you shouldn't drink anyway!)

Salokh, Mehlaa 3:
One person brings a full bottle, and another fills his cup.

Drinking the sharaab, alcohol, his intelligence departs, and madness enters his mind; he cannot distinguish between his own and others, and he is struck down by his Lord and Master.

Drinking it, he forgets his Lord and Master, and he is punished in the Court of the Lord. Do not drink the false wine at all, if it is in your power.

O Guru Nanak, the True Guru comes and meets the mortal; by His Grace, one obtains the True Wine (of Naam). He shall dwell forever in the Love of the Lord Master, and obtain a seat (i.e. respect) in the Mansion of His Presence. (1)(P. 554, Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji

(this is turning more into a sikh soc type convo...)
Original post by LawYah
how old are you though?

me??
Reply 55
Yeah well it's each to their own when it comes to religion, I don't believe something like meat or alcohol can come between what an individual believes. End of the day, following a faith is for personal satisfaction, it's just a path with certain morals and ethics available, you don't have to follow that path 100% accurately to become a better person, you go through the paths in front of you and learn, sooner or later you make the right decisions.

Nobody has the right to say you shouldn't do this or that, an individual has the right to live his own life, have faith in his own beliefs. I don't believe one who drinks is going to hell, I'm sure in the days of the guru, if a man was to drink the Guru wouldn't be so judgemental to say...you drink alcohol, you'll not get my respect - that go against most of the ethnics they taught. I'm sure a Sikh with cut hair isn't in a lesser situation than someone who has uncut hair, that's ridiculous too - sorry to sound cheesy..but if God really did exist, it'd be a persons soul they'll judge rather than the aesthetic characteristics.
If I saw Sikh munda drinking with his mates I wouldn't think anything of it.

If I saw a baptised Sikh munda drinking with his mates I would rub my eyes and reconsider whether this person is a baptised Sikh.

Plenty of Sikhs drink however, someone who is ammrit sañcar will never drink.

Just because you're Sikh however, does not mean you cannot drink.

Only someone who fits the below description is not supposed to drink,

Baptised Sikhs are bound to wear the Five Ks (in Punjabi known as pañj kakke or pañj kakar), or articles of faith, at all times. The tenth guru, Gobind Singh, ordered these Five Ks to be worn so that a Sikh could actively use them to make a difference to their own and to others' spirituality. The 5 items are: kes (uncut hair), kangha (small comb), kara (circular heavy metal bracelet), kirpan (ceremonial short sword), and kaccha (special undergarment). The Five Ks have both practical and symbolic purposes.
Basically what LawYah said tbh. If God is real then I doubt they care if I drink alcohol or cut my hair.
Reply 58
Original post by Lehmber Hussainpuri

idiot
P.Kaur

RoshniDiya

professorpk

Thanks for the neg rep :rolleyes:
I'm glad that I get negged for voicing my religious opinions. :teehee:
ALSO, fyi I was also raised a Sikh, so why would I bash my own religion? :pierre:
:rofl2:

Quick Reply

Latest