The Student Room Group

The Oxford rejection - Is this really it?

So, this PPE applicant was kicked off the Oxford bandwagon after the interview. And of course it stings, but there's something I'm curious about. Is it possible that after any offers are rejected by students (in which case I'd ask them a huge, "WHY??") or withdrawn, the spaces that were to be filled by these applicants would be replaced by others who were originally rejected?

I don't know how Oxford operates on this and so would like clarification, although I know that this is, at most, a distant pipe dream which I'm not counting on.

And if it helps, I do have UCL's ESPS, which I'm relatively happy about.

Scroll to see replies

Some people do reject Oxford offers (for a variety of reaons) but in order to fill these places up they make 'Open Offers' which aren't college specific and the person holding the offer is guaranteed a place but once they meet their conditions they will be fitted in at which ever college has empty spaces after results day.

Unfortunately, a rejection is a rejection 9I feel you, I just got rejected too).
Universities usually give out more offers than places, so it's not a problem for them if a few people decline/withdraw. No means no for a university rejection unless it turns up in clearing, which Oxford certainly won't.

The only chance is applying again next year, I'm afraid.
Original post by Johof
So, this PPE applicant was kicked off the Oxford bandwagon after the interview. And of course it stings, but there's something I'm curious about. Is it possible that after any offers are rejected by students (in which case I'd ask them a huge, "WHY??") or withdrawn, the spaces that were to be filled by these applicants would be replaced by others who were originally rejected?

No.

more offers are made than places and some open offers are also made to ensure places are filled.

**edit

as the above 2 folks already stated !!
Unfortunately, no... :frown: I know, it's sad... But Oxford issues what they call "open offers", meaning they give out more places than what they have, since they know not all candidates will attain their predicted grades, and some will even reject the offer (fools!!). That's when those who were given the open offers come in: since they weren't selected by a college, they'll fill out the places that are left.
Anyhow, tell your friend to ask for feedback so that he knows what he can do better if he wants to take a gap year and reapply next year.
Reply 5
Oxford is in the fortunate position of having very few people turn it down (191 UK applicants in the last 4 years - about 1.5%). Hence, even if double he number of people were to turn them down one year, it would still make little difference.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Ah... Thanks guys. That answers my question very nicely. :frown:

Original post by Historophilia
Some people do reject Oxford offers (for a variety of reaons) but in order to fill these places up they make 'Open Offers' which aren't college specific and the person holding the offer is guaranteed a place but once they meet their conditions they will be fitted in at which ever college has empty spaces after results day.

Unfortunately, a rejection is a rejection 9I feel you, I just got rejected too).

You got rejected?? I was looking at your participation in this forum and was certain you'd get in somehow! :frown:

Original post by aleaiactaest
Unfortunately, no... :frown: I know, it's sad... But Oxford issues what they call "open offers", meaning they give out more places than what they have, since they know not all candidates will attain their predicted grades, and some will even reject the offer (fools!!). That's when those who were given the open offers come in: since they weren't selected by a college, they'll fill out the places that are left.
Anyhow, tell your friend to ask for feedback so that he knows what he can do better if he wants to take a gap year and reapply next year.

I'm not asking for my friend, I'm asking for me. :smile:

And no, I don't want to take a gap year. I've already been out of academic life for two years thanks to conscription in the army, and I certainly don't want to add another year of intellectual stagnation to that list.

Thanks anyways!
Original post by Johof
You got rejected?? I was looking at your participation in this forum and was certain you'd get in somehow! :frown:

That's very nice of you to say :smile: well I haven't applied for feedback yet so I don't know why I got rejected, I'll just have to wait and see because while a lot of people feel they know why they got rejected I honestly can't put my finger on where I went wrong.

I can't reapply either, I'm post A level and am applying for the first time so it's out the window now unless I took a second gap year :s-smilie:

Which would have me starting Uni with people my brothers age!
Reply 8
Could be worse.
I've been rejected for E&M at Oxford as well. I just hate the fact that there is nothing I can do. :dontknow: I know it's not the end of the world but it is quite sad, especially when you (stupidly) have your hope high like I did. Goodbye dreams :cry2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Hi all,

I applied for Physics this year at St. Johns college and received a rejection at the end of November on what I assume was the PAT.

Due to the sheer illegibility of my handwriting I have been entitled to 25% extra time in my formal A level subjects, but for this exam it was never offered. Do you think there is a point in asking for my script to be remarked with this in mind?

I know that especially in this exam I was stressed and the quality of the handwriting was appalling and I know I must of lost at least a few marks on the basis of the marker just not being able to read it.

Any light on this would be gratefully appreciated :smile:
Reply 11
Difficult to say, I'd say the chances of you now getting a place (especially if you haven't been interviewed) is next to none. Personally though, being able to write legibly is important, and being given 25% extra time because no-one can read your handwriting isn't something that'd happen at Oxford (well, I really doubt it would) so I doubt they'll take note about it on the PAT.
Reply 12
Original post by Noble.
Difficult to say, I'd say the chances of you now getting a place (especially if you haven't been interviewed) is next to none. Personally though, being able to write legibly is important, and being given 25% extra time because no-one can read your handwriting isn't something that'd happen at Oxford (well, I really doubt it would) so I doubt they'll take note about it on the PAT.

Actually if it's a known problem, they might be able to get special arrangements. Probably not extra time, but they might be allowed to use a word processor, because illegible exam scripts can cause a lot of bother for markers, colleges and the students themselves.
Basically what happens at Oxford if someone writes very badly in exams is that the scripts get returned as illegible by the markers and sent to the student's college. The college then has to arrange for an amanuensis and an invigilator at very short notice and then the poor student has to look at all of his exam scripts again and dictate them, so they can be typed up and passed back to the tutor who returned them to mark. It's a process which is expensive for the student, and it's also quite time-consuming. If the student can still read his own handwriting (which isn't necessarily the case) and is reasonably good at dictating and not completely crippled by nervousness, you can transcribe a script per 30 minutes, but often it takes longer than that, and there's quite a lot of time pressure because the scripts need to be marked, so you've only got a window of a few days in which to get everything sorted out. Nobody really wants all this, although obviously it's an arrangement which benefits the students, because they don't just get a fail when they write illegibly.

Oops, sorry, I think I waffled a bit there...:o: The short version is: it's better if you can write legibly in exams, but if you can't, it won't be the end of the world.
Original post by hobnob
Actually if it's a known problem, they might be able to get special arrangements. Probably not extra time, but they might be allowed to use a word processor, because illegible exam scripts can cause a lot of bother for markers, colleges and the students themselves.
Basically what happens at Oxford if someone writes very badly in exams is that the scripts get returned as illegible by the markers and sent to the student's college. The college then has to arrange for an amanuensis and an invigilator at very short notice and then the poor student has to look at all of his exam scripts again and dictate them, so they can be typed up and passed back to the tutor who returned them to mark. It's a process which is expensive for the student, and it's also quite time-consuming. If the student can still read his own handwriting (which isn't necessarily the case) and is reasonably good at dictating and not completely crippled by nervousness, you can transcribe a script per 30 minutes, but often it takes longer than that, and there's quite a lot of time pressure because the scripts need to be marked, so you've only got a window of a few days in which to get everything sorted out. Nobody really wants all this, although obviously it's an arrangement which benefits the students, because they don't just get a fail when they write illegibly.

Oops, sorry, I think I waffled a bit there...:o: The short version is: it's better if you can write legibly in exams, but if you can't, it won't be the end of the world.

I'm sorry, but this made me laugh so much!!!
I do feel for the tutors though...Going through my supervisor's comments, written in minuscule letters with pencil has been almost impossible...I wonder if it be too rude to ask her to use a pen at least...
Reply 14
I disagree. On my friend's offer letter there was a confirmation slip and it said: "Please indicate whether you are going to take up your place as we may be able to offer it to other applicants if you choose not to. But in most cases, a rejection is a rejection.
If you'd wanted to appeal this the time was probably back when you got the rejection I'm afraid, before they gave out interviews and gave out the places as they have done, at that time something might have been done.

You could appeal but they've gone through the admissions process now, all the interviews have gone and the spaces have been filled, I think the chances of you getting an offer are next to nothing simply looking at it on a logistical basis.
Original post by Grenville
I disagree. On my friend's offer letter there was a confirmation slip and it said: "Please indicate whether you are going to take up your place as we may be able to offer it to other applicants if you choose not to. But in most cases, a rejection is a rejection.

They say that, but I've never heard of anyone getting a rejection and then an offer.

They usually fill the spaces left by people who turn them down with people who got given 'Open offers'.
Reply 17
i dont think you can appeal rejections to uni mate sorry:/ although im not sure about specifics i just remember reading about UCL i think it was said if you're rejected thats it under so yar, try again next year ? :smile:
There is an official complaints process
Original post by sharkin7765
There is an official complaints process

It's a bit late though, all the offers have been made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending