The Student Room Group

University of Nottingham - Ningbo, China (Chinese campus) As good as UK?

Im pretty sure im going to go to Nottingham in China to study international Business and mandarin in September 2012.

Ive only just sent my application off but I have had lengthy discussions with the people there and I have been assured I will get a place, obviously this is not a given but for the purpose of this thread just assume im in.

Now, in terms of the degree you get, it is exactly the same degree that I would get if I had been studying at the UK campus. But the questions I want answering are:
Academically, is the Chinese campus as good as the UK one, regardless of the degree given, purely in terms of the quality of the teaching? It kind of seems that they are just cashing in on the global perception of the English education system or have they managed to replicate the quality of the university in England?
For the language side of the degree obviously it will be more beneficial for me to be in China but in terms of the Business side of things? Is doing a WHOLE degree abroad veiwed similarlypositively to a year in a foreign university in terms of potential employers after completion?

Clearly the above is abit of a messy mass of questions but if any can be answered in any capacity that would be great!:smile:
Reply 1
I got a place during clearing this year over there. I'm currently back in the UK for the holiday. Quite honestly, Its been a complete disappointment. Me and the other international student on my course are currently considering other options. If you PM me an e-mail address I can ask some of the international students on similar courses to yours to contact you as my course is completely different.
Reply 2
:erm: PM'd. Cheers
Reply 3
Hi what is it bad in terms of?
Hi there,

Since the University course is accredited by the University of Nottingham, they should have made sure that it is of the same calibre and academic level as their courses in the UK.

If this isn't the case, then it's quite worrying. I'd be interested to know what other students are disappointed about too if you can let us know!

In terms of employability, studying abroad for your whole degree would be really good for your CV. It shows that you are motivated enough to go abroad to get a degree in what you are passionate about, are adventurous and not afraid to do different things. It can also help you to have an international career if you manage to get some work experience in China. As you said, there's nothing like learning a language in the country where it is spoken...

Amy from the Degrees Ahead team
Reply 5
That is one of their campuses so in reality it is no different than whether you're doing it at University Park or the Jubilee campus. Standards are similar as all NUBS programs follow a common program standard and many of the instructors are rotated from one campus to another. The only exceptional difference is some modules will have a slightly different theme to it where if you do it in China then the module will be slightly more focused towards how it would be done in China.

*ex NUBS MBA candidate :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by AquaeSulis
I got a place during clearing this year over there. I'm currently back in the UK for the holiday. Quite honestly, Its been a complete disappointment. Me and the other international student on my course are currently considering other options. If you PM me an e-mail address I can ask some of the international students on similar courses to yours to contact you as my course is completely different.

Original post by pepper&
Im pretty sure im going to go to Nottingham in China to study international Business and mandarin in September 2012.

Ive only just sent my application off but I have had lengthy discussions with the people there and I have been assured I will get a place, obviously this is not a given but for the purpose of this thread just assume im in.

Now, in terms of the degree you get, it is exactly the same degree that I would get if I had been studying at the UK campus. But the questions I want answering are:
Academically, is the Chinese campus as good as the UK one, regardless of the degree given, purely in terms of the quality of the teaching? It kind of seems that they are just cashing in on the global perception of the English education system or have they managed to replicate the quality of the university in England?
For the language side of the degree obviously it will be more beneficial for me to be in China but in terms of the Business side of things? Is doing a WHOLE degree abroad veiwed similarlypositively to a year in a foreign university in terms of potential employers after completion?

Clearly the above is abit of a messy mass of questions but if any can be answered in any capacity that would be great!:smile:

hi there. I know its a bit late in me asking this but I'm curious on whether or not you picked unnc?
Original post by AquaeSulis

Hi there,

I know this has been a while. I'm thinking about doing a MSc there but your comment caught me. If you can spare some time, please let me know why you have found your experience in Ningbo a complete disappointment. Your comment would be very much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Nutchaya

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending