The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle accommodation thread 2012

I'm guessing a lot of you are starting to get offers by now and was wondering whether people have looked much into accommodation at Newcastle University?

IMO richardson road looks pretty appealing for non-catered and castle leazes for catered, thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just to say now, if you want in to Windsor Terrace, Central Link (or even Richardson Road, Marris House) you need to do it realllllllly early! (I'm a first year student)

Last choices tend to be Henderson Hall and St Marys. Which are both dead on, and everyone loves them when they get there (I'm in St Mary's, was gutted when I found out but now I'd choose it again because it's so cheap, less walking to do and amazing standard accommodation) but they're the ones people don't want to choose after looking at the map.
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
We can only apply when we have firmed Newcastle right? I really hope it doesn't get to the point I'm waiting for a decision from my first choice while Newcastle's accommodation is open.

What time did it open last year? Hoping it will be April or really late March, haha.
Reply 3
Yes, Newcastle will email you how to apply when you've firmed, I'm sure last year the email was sent out in March sometime? I still hadn't firmed by the time accommodation opened and I still got into a good accommodation, so try not to stress too much!
Pretty sure you don't need to put Newcastle as a firm to apply, but if you don't you're not garunteed an accod place.
When does the University start taking accommodation applications?
Reply 6
I'm looking to be in catered, does anyone have any recommendations of good places to apply for?
Original post by BethHopkins
I'm looking to be in catered, does anyone have any recommendations of good places to apply for?

Don't bother with catered, there really is no point. Foods so cheap in Newcastle just go down Grainger market and your sorted. Its sooo overpriced for catered. And the food isnt that great either.
Reply 8
Received an offer :biggrin:!

I'm thinking self catered at Richardson Road, Marris house and Windsor Terrace all look pretty decent.
Hey, I firmed my offer for Newcastle back in November but no sign of anything about accommodation yet, anybody in a similar situation had any info from the uni by email/post about accommodation yet? Plus, anybody know approximately when the applications are sent out by email to start applying to the places?
Reply 10
Hey, Newcastle Uni is my first choice but i am taking a Gap Year so won't be attending until 2013, if i reach the grades.
I am thinking Marris House, I have visited friends that are in Ricky Road and Marris House is so much better !!!
Reply 11
Original post by BethHopkins

Hey, I have a load of friends catered in Castle Leazes and they love it actually. It's a bit more pricey I think is the only issue, but they all prefer it.

I also have a friend works in Henderson Hall but he thinks it's an awful place. Technically I guess the food should be the same if it's the same uni or whatever, but Henderson the building isn't very appealing, go for Leazes if you want to be catered in my opinion.
Reply 12
I just got the email about Newcastle accommodation and I had a few questions.

1. Is it true that Xbox Live is blocked? I think I would genuinely try and find a different student place if it is.

2. Any opinions on the best en suite self catered accommodation?

I think that's all so far - if anybody can help it'll be greatly appreciated.
Reply 13
Original post by Omiclops
I just got the email about Newcastle accommodation and I had a few questions.

1. Is it true that Xbox Live is blocked? I think I would genuinely try and find a different student place if it is.

2. Any opinions on the best en suite self catered accommodation?

I think that's all so far - if anybody can help it'll be greatly appreciated.

Was a post on here a while ago, yeah Xbox live is blocked. Unless you're in Central-link/Victoria Hall which do not use Newcastle's VPN.
Reply 14
Original post by PVisitors
Was a post on here a while ago, yeah Xbox live is blocked. Unless you're in Central-link/Victoria Hall which do not use Newcastle's VPN.

You been to either of those two? Looking at the virtual tour here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/students/accommodation/victoriahall/tour.htm it looks really nice! I might just apply to live there instead.
Reply 15
Original post by Omiclops
You been to either of those two? Looking at the virtual tour here: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/students/accommodation/victoriahall/tour.htm it looks really nice! I might just apply to live there instead.

Nah. I'm a 2012 applicant too. There was just a post a few months ago on here which I was reading where some students tried to get XBL/ports open which failed because of the VPN. I'm not 100% sure if you can use XBL in these halls actually, I'd imagine you can given that it is wifi.

Yeah, they look really nice. I've applied for Central-link, I didn't apply for Victoria Halls as I've heard that it's really quiet and people get fined for ridiculous things.

Oh wow, you go to Xaverian. Same haha..
Reply 16
Original post by PVisitors
Nah. I'm a 2012 applicant too. There was just a post a few months ago on here which I was reading where some students tried to get XBL/ports open which failed because of the VPN. I'm not 100% sure if you can use XBL in these halls actually, I'd imagine you can given that it is wifi.

Yeah, they look really nice. I've applied for Central-link, I didn't apply for Victoria Halls as I've heard that it's really quiet and people get fined for ridiculous things.

Oh wow, you go to Xaverian. Same haha..

Mate £115/week for Central link though?! That's ridonkulous I'm not even sure the loans cover that do they? Also wait a second aren't there wifi cables? I don't like quiet too much however £115/week is just too much!

Woah really? What subjects do you do?
Reply 17
Got my email this morning thinking of applying for Marris house, Windsor terrace and need a 3rd choice for self catered with washbasin :/
Reply 18
I've applied for Castle Court/Victoria Hall/Central Link in that order :smile:.. Really liked Central Link but I couldn't justify around £5000 for the year! I'd rather have more money for decent food!
Reply 19
Applied for Richardson Road :smile:
Actually cant wait!

Quick Reply

Latest