Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Succesful business whilst at Uni?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, has anyone here started a business/money spinner, legitimate or not, whilst in study and been sucessful? It must be whilst in full time education at university so i'd assume something low/medium maintenance. Would be cool to hear there are some people doing it and making some bucks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepper&)
    Just out of interest, has anyone here started a business/money spinner, legitimate or not, whilst in study and been sucessful? It must be whilst in full time education at university so i'd assume something low/medium maintenance. Would be cool to hear there are some people doing it and making some bucks!
    tutoring
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've actually been wondering the same thing.

These are some good ideas.. http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/64720

I actually found an article on the same site about people who had started their own business while at university, made a lot of money and are now successful. I just can't find it at the moment.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Me £1000 pcm. At University studying economics.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I flipped domains for a while last year, was a bit of fun.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garycheung)
    I flipped domains for a while last year, was a bit of fun.
    How do you get started with flipping domains? Is it on Flippa.com? Never really looked into it that much.

I make around £2.5k per month online, I have a social media channel which receives around 1mil+ views per month and then a few micro niche sites that make $15 per lead. It feels so good going to sleep knowing your making money at the same time!

Honestly making money online is not easy but with a month or two of work you can start a successful site pulling in at least $20/£13 per day. Do this a few times and you could make quite a lot. If anyone needs some advice just leave a post here
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Dude, you are earning way more than I was back then!?

Basically you kinda choose a niche say Computers and Technology and do keyword research, domains with few words or even letters that are memorable are highly sought after and could be worth a lot. i knew nothing about getting traffic to websites so just relied on making premium domains with good keywords that people search everyday on google. As you'd imagine something within technology such as laptops.com will be worth something in the high £££££££'s but these are extremely hard to find. I did loads of research and modeling with terapeak.com but in the end just gave up. was fun jsut to make £££ figures though haha.

What about you? what exactly is it that you do? is google adsense involved, how do you get so many views ? Lol sorry for being an amateur.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What about you? what exactly is it that you do? is google adsense involved, how do you get so many views ? Lol sorry for being an amateur.
    I might have to take a look at flipping some domains, I guess the key is to keep checking for new keywords everyday and find a rare domain.. sounds tough though.

Basically I run a site which uploads content from other people and get paid for the advertisements (adsense) on it. In return they get some free promotion. It's based around the gaming genre and the avg cpm is usually around $2 +/- .50 . It took me approx. 2 years to build this up, at the start I was making peanuts. I've only started earning this high in the last 6 months or so, hopefully it will continue.

Another very simple method to do is set up a review blog. Just create a blog where you review the latest products which people will be searching (laptops, mobile phones, tablets). You don't need to own the product to write a review, simply make it up and be sure to include all the important keywords. Then within your article place amazon affiliate links on the product name and a few more amazon product links around it (maybe recommend some accesories to go with the product). All these links will point to amazon and if the customer purchases an item you will be credited ~6% of the sale price. This can really make you some £ if your website grows (a bit of SEO will help a lot). If it starts doing well you can sell it on flippa.com for a few £k.

I have quite a few more methods which work, if any of you are good writers then you can easily make $20-30 per day, let me know if you're interested
    • 39 followers

ReputationRep:
    hmm yes starting from this september..

Internet marketing is awesome. Though I'm not in the intenet marketing niche, I find it a little fake, but it's still legit nevertheless.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by income_potential)
    Yes, actually I did and it worked out rather well.

I can't tell you what on here though (forum rules on advertising). I will say that I started on £20 an hour and now earn much more!! Ideal for a student like me.

I will tell you its legal, moral and honest. backed by a UK PLC and highly lucrative

If you PM me your email I will send you details.
    Will you piss off with your spam. :rolleyes:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BicBoi)
    I might have to take a look at flipping some domains, I guess the key is to keep checking for new keywords everyday and find a rare domain.. sounds tough though.

Basically I run a site which uploads content from other people and get paid for the advertisements (adsense) on it. In return they get some free promotion. It's based around the gaming genre and the avg cpm is usually around $2 +/- .50 . It took me approx. 2 years to build this up, at the start I was making peanuts. I've only started earning this high in the last 6 months or so, hopefully it will continue.

Another very simple method to do is set up a review blog. Just create a blog where you review the latest products which people will be searching (laptops, mobile phones, tablets). You don't need to own the product to write a review, simply make it up and be sure to include all the important keywords. Then within your article place amazon affiliate links on the product name and a few more amazon product links around it (maybe recommend some accesories to go with the product). All these links will point to amazon and if the customer purchases an item you will be credited ~6% of the sale price. This can really make you some £ if your website grows (a bit of SEO will help a lot). If it starts doing well you can sell it on flippa.com for a few £k.

I have quite a few more methods which work, if any of you are good writers then you can easily make $20-30 per day, let me know if you're interested
    Ah that explained it all, I'm very interested but never really knew how to get traffic flowing, guess the first time you set the site/blog up would be the hardest. SEO kinda baffles me as well but there are a couple videos out there with the basics. Also can you use any blog e.g xxxxx.tumblr.com or is it best to have a proper domain such as xxxxx.com to host your blog and ads
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah that explained it all, I'm very interested but never really knew how to get traffic flowing, guess the first time you set the site/blog up would be the hardest. SEO kinda baffles me as well but there are a couple videos out there with the basics. Also can you use any blog e.g xxxxx.tumblr.com or is it best to have a proper domain such as xxxxx.com to host your blog and ads
    You can use any blog at all, I think it will work much better with a real domain though, especially one related to your site. It's worth paying for a unique domain ie. samsung-laptop-reviews.org or something like that as it costs around £10 a year max and you can make that back really quick. When you have made some money you can then invest it into adsense to send more traffic to your site and if the coversion rate is just 1% you can still make some money. Then just grow it from there. I'm not saying its easy but if you put the work in you can't really fail.

Oh and for seo services fiverr.com is really useful
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear some people having success.

How about any businesses selling something tangible? Anyone had any experience/got any stories of a group of students working together on a business? I only ask because, if any of you have tried starting a business before you will know that the first hurdle is normally funding.

I started my first business before becoming a student and borrowed nearly 12k to set it up. It failed. I had to spend the next year working like a dog, squirreling money away to pay off debts. Now done and the main thing I learnt was to not be so keen spending money. I really spunked alot of the money on things like having a professional logo designed (could have done it on Illustrator for free), having a very complicated website built (5k) and other things that were in no way necessities.

Now while considering business number two, I would like to get some other people involved. I dont want to go down the route of angel investors as they will want a rediculously high share of equity and want to sell the business if it ever becomes profitable to the point that anyone would consider it a success. I'd just like to clarify im not looking for investment, but for instance somebody with a related skill, that could bring something to the table that would add value on a profit share basis. I've decided that rather than borrow money to do this project, I'm not going to borrow anything (do all the work myself), get it up and running as quickly and cheaply as possible and see what happens, tweaking it along the way if needs be.

Does anyone know of say a site like LinkedIn for students interested in starting a business or something similar that could put me in touch with people who may be interested in running a business alongside study?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Glad to hear some people having success.

How about any businesses selling something tangible? Anyone had any experience/got any stories of a group of students working together on a business? I only ask because, if any of you have tried starting a business before you will know that the first hurdle is normally funding.

I started my first business before becoming a student and borrowed nearly 12k to set it up. It failed. I had to spend the next year working like a dog, squirreling money away to pay off debts. Now done and the main thing I learnt was to not be so keen spending money. I really spunked alot of the money on things like having a professional logo designed (could have done it on Illustrator for free), having a very complicated website built (5k) and other things that were in no way necessities.

Now while considering business number two, I would like to get some other people involved. I dont want to go down the route of angel investors as they will want a rediculously high share of equity and want to sell the business if it ever becomes profitable to the point that anyone would consider it a success. I'd just like to clarify im not looking for investment, but for instance somebody with a related skill, that could bring something to the table that would add value on a profit share basis. I've decided that rather than borrow money to do this project, I'm not going to borrow anything (do all the work myself), get it up and running as quickly and cheaply as possible and see what happens, tweaking it along the way if needs be.

Does anyone know of say a site like LinkedIn for students interested in starting a business or something similar that could put me in touch with people who may be interested in running a business alongside study?
    Not sure if I can help with anything, I can set up websites, market them etc.

Might be worth looking at this for some investment: http://www.kickstarter.com/

PM me some more info and i'll let you know if I can help
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Might be worth looking at this for some investment: http://www.kickstarter.com/
    The website looks pretty cool, some quirky ideas, not just chasing the technology investments like most of the others. although i'm not really looking for investment, i want to try and do it without loans this time.

My main field of expertise is marketing (not digital), which is the main element in this new plan but I can also design websites with HTML and CSS, not great on the SEO and web marketing side of things though.

The main point of the thread was just to see if anyone is running a business i.e. LTD company selling a tangible product whilst studying? From this I was hoping to get in touch with people, not even necessarily for collaboration but perhaps just for bouncing ideas off of similar minded people who may have like projects going on at the same time.

Are you looking at starting a business?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you get started with flipping domains? Is it on Flippa.com? Never really looked into it that much.

I make around £2.5k per month online, I have a social media channel which receives around 1mil+ views per month and then a few micro niche sites that make $15 per lead. It feels so good going to sleep knowing your making money at the same time!

Honestly making money online is not easy but with a month or two of work you can start a successful site pulling in at least $20/£13 per day. Do this a few times and you could make quite a lot. If anyone needs some advice just leave a post here
    Hey mate, I sent you a PM
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:

Do you need to know computer programming though ?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 16, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.