The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Firm/Insurers 2012!

IF YOU ARE A PROSPECTIVE FRESHER, THEN PLEASE JOIN THIS FACEBOOK GROUP!
http://www.facebook.com/groups/351644164886657/

Hey guys!
I know that this might seem relatively early, but I was thinking that we should set up a thread for people who are probably/are going to put Warwick as their firm/insurance choice on UCAS! :cool:

This might end up failing as a thread, but then I thought that, although its early, maybe it would be nice to see if we can find other people who have applied and have/are waiting for an offer that they shall accept who are on the same course as you. As well as talking about other aspects such as accommodation etc?

I shall start! I'm Lucy and I have applied for, and am going to firm Warwick for Chemistry! :h:

Please may I ask, why people have negged me for starting this thread? o_0 :L
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi i'm Jamie :biggrin: , applied for both maths + MORSE at warwick (warwick fanboy here :rolleyes: ) really excited for university. Maybe i'll be seeing some of you lot in september :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by LGrosvenor101
Hey guys!
I know that this might seem relatively early, but I was thinking that we should set up a thread for people who are probably/are going to put Warwick as their firm/insurance choice on UCAS! :cool:

This might end up failing as a thread, but then I thought that, although its early, maybe it would be nice to see if we can find other people who have applied and have/are waiting for an offer that they shall accept who are on the same course as you. As well as talking about other aspects such as accommodation etc?

I shall start! I'm Lucy and I have applied for, and am going to firm Warwick for Chemistry! :h:

Good choice :colone:

Plus there's a brand new third floor undergraduate lab coming in over the summer, so the facilities shall be top of the range when you arrive :yep:
Reply 3
Original post by Nirgilis
Good choice :colone:

Plus there's a brand new third floor undergraduate lab coming in over the summer, so the facilities shall be top of the range when you arrive :yep:

Thanks :biggrin: And I heard about that... I am so excited! :biggrin: :dance:
Made this thread sticky seeing as the firm/insurance decision is coming up soon :h:
Reply 5
Thanks :biggrin: And I heard about that... I am so excited! :biggrin: :dance:

You should be! The current level 3 labs aren't great. I'm assuming you only got shown the level 4 undergraduate labs on open day?

Also, which chemistry degree stream have you applied for? :ninja: . If you want to know anything about it, you're more than welcome to ask :yep:
Reply 6
You should be! The current level 3 labs aren't great. I'm assuming you only got shown the level 4 undergraduate labs on open day?

Also, which chemistry degree stream have you applied for? :ninja: . If you want to know anything about it, you're more than welcome to ask :yep:

Yeah, I remember being shown the level 4 undergrad labs :biggrin: And I've applied for just straight BSc. However, I might ask to switch to the Masters course if I do enjoy my BSc course! And thank you! I do actually have a question, what are the hours/timetable like in terms of lectures and labs every week? thanks :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by TheTallOne
Made this thread sticky seeing as the firm/insurance decision is coming up soon :h:

Thanks :biggrin: Whatever that means? I'm not that expert on TSR technical jargon :P thanks :biggrin:
Reply 8
Yeah, I remember being shown the level 4 undergrad labs :biggrin: And I've applied for just straight BSc. However, I might ask to switch to the Masters course if I do enjoy my BSc course! And thank you! I do actually have a question, what are the hours/timetable like in terms of lectures and labs every week? thanks :rolleyes:

The straight chemistry timetabling and module system is easy to comprehend as opposed to medicinal chemistry, chemical biology and chemistry with management! :yep:

So, I'll try lay it out for you:

Summary: The weekly hours do vary immensely, however, we have a minimum of 20 hours a week (after consulting last term's timetable) if you turn up to all the compulsory lectures and the non-compulsory maths lectures (I'll explain later). Some weeks have lectures, labs, tutorials and workshops all crammed into 5 days, with several weeks a term matching or exceeding 30 hours. While 9am to 7pm with an hour for lunch is unenviable (especially with arts students on 7-9 hours a week :erm:), those days do exist (though they're much more rare for straight chem as opposed to the option chemistry degrees) and you're definitely getting value for money.

Lectures: You will take 5 modules in the first year; organic, inorganic, physical, maths and labs. Of these you will have lectures for all of them except labs with 4-6 lectures for each module a week. Lecturers are all top quality, though the physical chemistry thermodynamics lecturer is sooooo dull, only a select few people can stay awake. However, so long as you can do the problems sets provided, you will be fine. The lecturers (other than maths and thermo) only take sets of about 8-10 lectures, so it's rare to have the same lecturer for more than 3 weeks. You will find everybody turns up to the first lectures and then attendance rates lower throughout the term, but I can guarantee that turning up is the best option.

Maths: This is a special case. Every 1st year has to pass maths with 80% or above in order to proceed to 2nd year (you get 4 attempts). This is only A2 level standard of maths, so if you have done it to A2, it's really nothing to worry about. Lectures for these are non-compulsory, however, once the syllabus for the maths exam has been taught, Professor Bon does start to explain the underlying principles of thermodynamics. But, unless you are Albert Einstein, you are probably unable to understand any of it, hence the non-compulsory nature.

Labs: Labs are tough. No way around it. Undergraduate labs are every Thursday in term 1 and every Thursday AND Friday in term 2 (first years). The evening before your labs you must complete a theory test on the upcoming labs. Try 10 times and don't get full marks, you get 0 for the experiment. The labs themselves are gruelling. Technically we get 11-4 to do all the experiment - not enough time for some of them by a long shot. However, if you are not cleaning up by 3.30, 5% will be docked for poor time keeping. This often means no lunch break, and sometimes no break for a drink! Postgraduate students are on hand in your group of 5/6 to help and answer any questions, and they will mark your write up. We also have an overseeing professor who is analogous to Professor Snape from Harry Potter - he is the essence of evil. If you don't have any idea why you just added one thing to another, you are a failed chemist and are better off becoming a chef as even they can follow experiment protocol ('recipes'). He will dock marks for poor lab practice, whether it be weighing material incorrectly or have apparatus that isn't set up securely. You can view this in two ways - he's just teaching you the labs oldschool, or he's evil :h: . If, however, you know the experiment and can do them correctly, he's perfectly nice. He also will not take offense in asking for his assistance. It's just a matter of doing that before he gets to you :lol: . The write-ups take anywhere from 2-6 hours to complete, though you have 7 days to submit it. Overall, the labs will take up 36 credits - more than any other module, so it's best to spend some time to get the most marks.

Tutorials: You are assigned a tutor for each module. Three or four times a term, worksheets will be set for you to complete, hand in and get feedback for. This happens in your lab groups of 5/6 and are pretty much like an A-level class. The marks don't count, though you do have to try the sheets as they can refuse you entry to the tutorial and this will get recorded on your record.

Workshops: These happen with about 70 of you in a lecture theatre and they are basically large tutorials. You get given a sheet, two or three professors then wonder around giving you help should you need it! These will not be taken in and not marked.

Assessment: The entire degree is assessed by end of year exams, though there are January 'feedback' exams. Unfortunately, the first year does count (10% BSc, 5% MChem). You are required to reach 40% in each exam to pass into the 2nd year (apart from maths) and any score below 40% will require you to resit in September. If you then fail again, you cannot proceed.

While the workload is great, the course is great fun. If you would like to know anything more specific, just let me know! :yep:
Reply 9
The straight chemistry timetabling and module system is easy to comprehend as opposed to medicinal chemistry, chemical biology and chemistry with management! :yep:

So, I'll try lay it out for you:

Summary: The weekly hours do vary immensely, however, we have a minimum of 20 hours a week (after consulting last term's timetable) if you turn up to all the compulsory lectures and the non-compulsory maths lectures (I'll explain later). Some weeks have lectures, labs, tutorials and workshops all crammed into 5 days, with several weeks a term matching or exceeding 30 hours. While 9am to 7pm with an hour for lunch is unenviable (especially with arts students on 7-9 hours a week :erm:), those days do exist (though they're much more rare for straight chem as opposed to the option chemistry degrees) and you're definitely getting value for money.

Lectures: You will take 5 modules in the first year; organic, inorganic, physical, maths and labs. Of these you will have lectures for all of them except labs with 4-6 lectures for each module a week. Lecturers are all top quality, though the physical chemistry thermodynamics lecturer is sooooo dull, only a select few people can stay awake. However, so long as you can do the problems sets provided, you will be fine. The lecturers (other than maths and thermo) only take sets of about 8-10 lectures, so it's rare to have the same lecturer for more than 3 weeks. You will find everybody turns up to the first lectures and then attendance rates lower throughout the term, but I can guarantee that turning up is the best option.

Maths: This is a special case. Every 1st year has to pass maths with 80% or above in order to proceed to 2nd year (you get 4 attempts). This is only A2 level standard of maths, so if you have done it to A2, it's really nothing to worry about. Lectures for these are non-compulsory, however, once the syllabus for the maths exam has been taught, Professor Bon does start to explain the underlying principles of thermodynamics. But, unless you are Albert Einstein, you are probably unable to understand any of it, hence the non-compulsory nature.

Labs: Labs are tough. No way around it. Undergraduate labs are every Thursday in term 1 and every Thursday AND Friday in term 2 (first years). The evening before your labs you must complete a theory test on the upcoming labs. Try 10 times and don't get full marks, you get 0 for the experiment. The labs themselves are gruelling. Technically we get 11-4 to do all the experiment - not enough time for some of them by a long shot. However, if you are not cleaning up by 3.30, 5% will be docked for poor time keeping. This often means no lunch break, and sometimes no break for a drink! Postgraduate students are on hand in your group of 5/6 to help and answer any questions, and they will mark your write up. We also have an overseeing professor who is analogous to Professor Snape from Harry Potter - he is the essence of evil. If you don't have any idea why you just added one thing to another, you are a failed chemist and are better off becoming a chef as even they can follow experiment protocol ('recipes'). He will dock marks for poor lab practice, whether it be weighing material incorrectly or have apparatus that isn't set up securely. You can view this in two ways - he's just teaching you the labs oldschool, or he's evil :h: . If, however, you know the experiment and can do them correctly, he's perfectly nice. He also will not take offense in asking for his assistance. It's just a matter of doing that before he gets to you :lol: . The write-ups take anywhere from 2-6 hours to complete, though you have 7 days to submit it. Overall, the labs will take up 36 credits - more than any other module, so it's best to spend some time to get the most marks.

Tutorials: You are assigned a tutor for each module. Three or four times a term, worksheets will be set for you to complete, hand in and get feedback for. This happens in your lab groups of 5/6 and are pretty much like an A-level class. The marks don't count, though you do have to try the sheets as they can refuse you entry to the tutorial and this will get recorded on your record.

Workshops: These happen with about 70 of you in a lecture theatre and they are basically large tutorials. You get given a sheet, two or three professors then wonder around giving you help should you need it! These will not be taken in and not marked.

Assessment: The entire degree is assessed by end of year exams, though there are January 'feedback' exams. Unfortunately, the first year does count (10% BSc, 5% MChem). You are required to reach 40% in each exam to pass into the 2nd year (apart from maths) and any score below 40% will require you to resit in September. If you then fail again, you cannot proceed.

While the workload is great, the course is great fun. If you would like to know anything more specific, just let me know! :yep:

Wow, that is a lot to take in! The Snape man seems entertaining! I just want to come to Warwick now to be honest! Thank you for the help, I can't think of any other questions at the moment. But if I do, then I shall ask! Thanks again :biggrin:
Reply 10
Not 100% sure yet. If I get MMORSE, it'll probably be my firm, with LSE's Stats with Finance as my insurance.
If I don't get it, I'll choose between A&F at Warwick, and LSE.

Although I just thought of a question now :tongue: Do we have to get our own lab coats goggles etc? As I know other Universities say that they give them to you. The same goes for with books. Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 12
Although I just thought of a question now :tongue: Do we have to get our own lab coats goggles etc? As I know other Universities say that they give them to you. The same goes for with books. Thanks :biggrin:

Lab coats you obtain yourself (£12 from the bookshop if you can't get them before hand). Goggles are given to you (lucky us). First year books do depend on the department budget. We got the 3 core books free, but we were the first year to get them so (£106 off of Amazon - if you buy the non-compulsory books too, it can reach £250 easy, though they can be found in the library if you're quick). We do however get free breakages. But if you break 2 items or more per lab, 5% is docked off of that lab mark. Lab books are £1 and must be bought :yep:
Lab coats you obtain yourself (£12 from the bookshop if you can't get them before hand). Goggles are given to you (lucky us). First year books do depend on the department budget. We got the 3 core books free, but we were the first year to get them so (£106 off of Amazon - if you buy the non-compulsory books too, it can reach £250 easy, though they can be found in the library if you're quick). We do however get free breakages. But if you break 2 items or more per lab, 5% is docked off of that lab mark. Lab books are £1 and must be bought :yep:

Oh thats not actually that bad! Thanks :biggrin:
Reply 14
Hey guys :biggrin: I have an offer for Biomedical Sciences and hopefully going to put Warwick as my Insurance option :biggrin: Is anybody going to a UCAS Open Day on the 8th February????

Seconded :clap2::clap2:
Especially the bolded ones......so true:biggrin:
Firming for Law, now that I've got over my Cambridge rejection :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Tsunami2011
Firming for Law, now that I've got over my Cambridge rejection :biggrin:

Don't despair, Oxford didn't want me and I'm pretty damn amazing as I'm sure you are too haha! :wink: We will just have to fly the Warwick flag when we get to top law firms then lol.I have an unconditional for law but unsure whether to go with Warwick, Nottingham or Bristol. Thoughts?
Original post by Bea492
Don't despair, Oxford didn't want me and I'm pretty damn amazing as I'm sure you are too haha! :wink: We will just have to fly the Warwick flag when we get to top law firms then lol.I have an unconditional for law but unsure whether to go with Warwick, Nottingham or Bristol. Thoughts?

Thanks, I'll get over it :smile: Just will be a constant blotch on my record. I applied to Notts aswell:smile: I'm probably biased, but I prefer Warwick over all of them.. Have you visited Warwick? you'll probably end up either hating it or loving it, due to it being a campus uni and near Coventry... I think in terms of general rep Warwick comes out top but for Law they're pretty much equal.What's your order of preference? Also, check which course suits you best, I really didn't like Nottingham's choice of modules but loved Warwick's. Hopefully I'll see you at Warwick!:frown:
Reply 19
Original post by Tsunami2011
Thanks, I'll get over it :smile: Just will be a constant blotch on my record. I applied to Notts aswell:smile: I'm probably biased, but I prefer Warwick over all of them.. Have you visited Warwick? you'll probably end up either hating it or loving it, due to it being a campus uni and near Coventry... I think in terms of general rep Warwick comes out top but for Law they're pretty much equal.What's your order of preference? Also, check which course suits you best, I really didn't like Nottingham's choice of modules but loved Warwick's. Hopefully I'll see you at Warwick!:frown:

Totally feel your pain. I'm sure I'll love wherever I go anyway and I can always do my post grad at Oxford :smile: yeah I see what you mean I think it is a marmite uni lol. I haven't visited either yet but I definitely will be doing so before I make any decisions. Do you have a Notts offer yet? Where else did you apply? I just feel like no one is actually enthusiastic about going to Warwick it just seems like a lot of Oxbridge rejects disappointed they ended up at their second choice lol. :/ on the other hand my friend is doing 1st year law currently and LOVES it :smile:

Quick Reply