The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
Original post by la-dauphine
I don't have a huge amount of experience with dons but the ones I've met couldn't really give two hoots about anything but their subject. The fact that Oxford dons voted to condemn the government's HE white paper before any other university is at odds with the idea that they'd pander to the government in order to get honours. Maybe I'm biased, but I don't think Oxford's reputation is grossly exaggerated.

There is no doubt it's an excellent university, well funded with a good teacher to student ratio. However people often say that it's harder to get the same degree at Oxford than elsewhere, in subjects like law or medicine. Which doesn't make any sense really. Also, the wider public sort of expects all Oxford students to know Latin and Greek and to read Classics, no matter which subject they're taking, which doesn't really represent reality. And the Times HE report puts Oxbridge above so many universities in the world, including Ivy League universities, places like Heidelberg and the Sorbonne etc. Which makes me guffaw a bit and conclude that in general, its reputation is greatly exaggerated. Which isn't to say the Oxbridge universities aren't very good. Just nowhere near as good as they're thought to be. Anyway I'm going a bit off-topic..
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 261
Original post by nulli tertius
As is usual with such things, the issue is how the question is framed.

If the question is can someone buy a place for a first undergraduate degree, then the answer is "no".

Are strings pulled for the well-connected to get on such courses, probably "no".

The last scandal I am aware of concerned two Trinity candidates for 2002 admission.

http://www.btinternet.com/~akme/Ingrams.html

However, if you are reasonably bright, have an undergraduate degree elsewhere (or even are studying at an elite institution abroad) and money and course are no object, then you will not have any real difficulty getting in to Oxford.

Totally agreed. Getting into Oxford as a taught postgraduate is a piece of cake compared to as an undergraduate. I know a couple of people who did it. Both achieved a 2:1, worked no more than a couple of years before going back into higher education. One of them took their undergraduate degree at a former poly and the other at a foreign non-European university that doesn't appear even in the top 400 list of world universities. I think they had to have an interview and submit a personal statement, which is the same process as for other UK universities.
Bribing one's way into Oxford even if not impossible is never going to be commonplace anyway. Both Oxford and Cambridge take large numbers of foreign students every year, charging them much higher fees if they are non-EU. Apparently Cambridge has 1/3 non-EU students as its postgrad student population, which is much higher than for Cambridge undergraduates. So they're not illicitly bribing their way in but obviously money makes the world go round.
Reply 262
Original post by fudgesundae
That's the US where the college system is completely different to over here. Alumni donate billions to universities each year, so legacy admissions are very common.

This world is based on one simple thing. MONEY.
No one is different. Its way of doing things which are different. It doesn't matter if you apply for a top university in US or UK. Money is honey.
Reply 263
Original post by fudgesundae

And Benazir Bhutto bought her position as president of the Oxford Union yes? :wink:

No I didnt say that. Maybe she was a clever lady. Or Maybe her father was the key behind all that. We must not forget that her father was very powerfull man.

But ofcourse I will not judge late Benazir. This does not mean though, that poeple dont "bribe" their way into top uni across the globe. Including Oxford.
Oh, I'm not doubting that the redbricks have given out BBC offers....But I'd be interested to know if Oxford or Cambridge have actually made any BBC offers in the last few years. As far as I'm aware they haven't, and fewer than 2% of their undergrads got less than AAA at A Level (I know one of those people, he went to a state school, he got A*A*B and missed his last A by one mark, so they took him on anyway).

I don't know how many BBC offers Oxford or Cambridge have made in the last few years, I certainly couldn't tell you. But if you're telling me that fewer than 2% of their undergrads got less than AAA at A-levels, which with an undergraduate population of 10000-12000 for both unis, that's still 200-250 people. In any case, this is still irrevelant, firstly cos it only takes one academically sub-par child of a powerful magnate or politician to prove the system isn't fair and secondly my focus wasn't particularly on the fact that the progeny of the rich and influential don't always get the grades, it's that even if they do, for example, get AAA at A-levels, they were always more likely to get in than Joe Public, son of Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Public, who also got AAA at A-levels, due to the influence of their circumstances. Both might be equally matched in aptitude, but it's the one from the influential background that gets the place. The only reprieve is that the mega-rich and influential are in the minority and so are their progeny in any one year, so it's not like the majority are of such kind. However, if you go to Oxford and Cambridge, and do a census for students who happen to be sons and daughters of highly influential people or royalty, I'm sure it's higher than the national average of such students at higher institutions in the UK or (dare I say it) of even the other redbricks unis, and this is undeniably so when in any year group, you go to the Bullingdon, Gridiron , and Pitt Gentlemen clubs and count the number of heirs or close-relations to poweful families (and that just an example of 3 clubs). I understand that whilst there, these students may go on to prove themselves academically, but that is not the point. Again, does their fame or their parents influence carve them a place at Oxbridge, thereby potentially ousting the place of another hopeful? I believe it does.

It's not in Oxford's interests to accept below-par candidates because it's primarily an academic institution. It raises enough money through sponsors/the government/bequeathments and in general Oxbridge alumni go on to become successful independent of their family's wealth - it's the Oxbridge degree that gives them the advantage. And then there are stories like this http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2012/feb/29/atlantic-records-founder-26m-oxford - as far as I'm aware, the donor didn't even study at Oxford.

Actually, it's for Oxford to calculate whether it's in its best interest to take on a few below-par students quietly, by employing the use of game theory and utilitarian-style cost-benefit analyses, and not just on a principle of whether its categorically wrong to do so - sorry to have to point that out.

I love the fact you picked out a link depicting the one example where the philanthropic donor didn't gain anything...because he was dead! lol. Just to point something out, you dont have to have studied at either Oxford or Cambridge to have vested interest in either of the 2 universities, and that vested interest need not be an undergraduate place, it could be postgraduate, it could be to establish connections in pharmaceutical or engineering sectors where uni research is crucial to your company making profit, it could be gaining the control to influence matters of teaching or research within these unis, or to carve out positions, or vie for positions within these unis.

Hence, these mainly relatively recent links:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9091750/Chinese-internet-censors-erase-news-of-3.7-million-donation-to-Cambridge.html

http://www.varsity.co.uk/news/3112

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/education-news/fury-at-omani-sultans-cash-for-cambridge-2236294.html

http://cleancash.org/isyourcashclean.html

There was also a huge controversy in the 90s with the donation (money raised through arms deals) from Wafic Saïd, used to build the Saïd Business School at Oxford, partly because of the origin of the donation given and the fact that this goodwill gesture to the UK, paved the way for subsequent arms deals

This last link is from Financial Times, which details the combined endowment of Oxford and Cambridge from donations and private investment, NOT from the government.

(http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/85ab7ca8-7754-11e1-93cb-00144feab49a.html#axzz1rm7y887R)

Oxford and Cambridge already have an impressive list of alumni. They don't need to accept a dictator's son in order to look good. Many of the state-schooled students that they taken on will most likely go on to become famous (Margaret Thatcher being one of the most prominent examples so far). While St Andrews clearly capitalised on Prince William, Oxford never really makes a big deal about its alumni and it certainly wasn't the impression I got when I looked round. Oxford doesn't actually want students to apply because Blair's son went there. They want students to apply because they love their subjects.

Actually, on the contrary, particularly with respect to politics and economics. Regimes away from the comforts of western civilization are a) evolving and b) volatile and very dynamic. Many governments come and go, so they have to keep it ticking along. lol By taking on the occasional leaders son or daughter (they don't have to be a dictator), the closer ties developed means it paves the way for them to closely observe and analyse the emergence of new societies and governments and not at a distance via potentially biased news mediums, it also means they get more money, and the prestige behind having raised up not just any leader, but a progressive one. Also, Oxford doesn't need to parade their trophy-students to the public, but within smaller circles in certain sectors of the economy or in foreign policy, this speaks masses. These large and old institutions, as far as they are concerned are just doing business in the name of knowledge. That's why when things like what happened at LSE with Saif Gaddafi come under public scrutiny, at best, superficial smoke and mirrors are conjured up to please the public, in this case the stripping of his PhD. However, you have wonder what happened to the £1.5 million donation, which also came under scrutiny. I don't think the Gaddafis got that back. lol. The one thing I agree with you is that Oxford and Cambridge do want people who are passionate about their subject, and that why they far outnumber, the politically and strategically placed minority.

Have you actually been through the Oxbridge admissions process?

Yes.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 265
Is there anyone who doesn't have a price?
x.

I know you have an Ox offer, but maybe ease up on the need to defend it. Haters gon' hate after all.
Given that they rejected Saif Gaddafi, I would venture 'no'.
Original post by medic_armadillo7
I don't know how many BBC offers Oxford or Cambridge have made in the last few years, I certainly couldn't tell you. But if you're telling me that fewer than 2% of their undergrads got less than AAA at A-levels, which with an undergraduate population of 10000-12000 for both unis, that's still 200-250 people. In any case, this is still irrevelant, firstly cos it only takes one academically sub-par child of a powerful magnate or politician to prove the system isn't fair and secondly my focus wasn't particularly on the fact that the progeny of the rich and influential don't always get the grades, it's that even if they do, for example, get AAA at A-levels, they were always more likely to get in than Joe Public, son of Mr. John and Mrs. Jane Public, who also got AAA at A-levels, due to the influence of their circumstances. Both might be equally matched in aptitude, but it's the one from the influential background that gets the place. The only reprieve is that the mega-rich and influential are in the minority and so are their progeny in any one year, so it's not like the majority are of such kind. However, if you go to Oxford and Cambridge, and do a census for students who happen to be sons and daughters of highly influential people or royalty, I'm sure it's higher than the national average of such students at higher institutions in the UK or (dare I say it) of even the other redbricks unis, and this is undeniably so when in any year group, you go to the Bullingdon, Gridiron , and Pitt Gentlemen clubs and count the number of heirs or close-relations to poweful families (and that just an example of 3 clubs). I understand that whilst there, these students may go on to prove themselves academically, but that is not the point. Again, does their fame or their parents influence carve them a place at Oxbridge, thereby potentially ousting the place of another hopeful? I believe it does.

Once one says something isn't bribery ie offering money to secure a place; it isn't string pulling ie seeking preferential treatment on the basis of personal connections; and it isn't preferential access in terms of grades then what one is left with is merely the natural advantages that money and connections gives one.

An 18 year old who has mixed with royalty ought to be more polished, someone who has seen politics at first hand ought to have a better understanding of political history and someone who has travelled widely ought to have greater cultural awareness. That's without regard to paying for a good education.

Prince Charles is often trotted out in this context. He might not be the brightest thing on two legs but at 18 he could no doubt have brought far more life experience, both personal and reflected in the persons with whom he would have spoken, to bear than the average lad from a northern grammar school.
Name: A-Levels Grades: Year : Uni

Prince Charles: BC: 1960s : Cambridge
Prince Edward: CDE : 1980s : Cambridge
Polly Toynbee: 1 A-Level but got scholarship : 1960s : Oxford
David Miliband: BBCD : 1980s : Oxford
Rowan Pelling: ABC : 1980s: Oxford
Angus Mackinnon: BBBCC : 1970s : Oxford

Maybe the standard offer was a lot lower in the past, they did well in the fourth term / STEP papers or represented GB in the Olympiad and subsequently got unconditional offers, though I can't see how Polly Toynbee could have got a scholarship to Oxford with only one A-Level.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/1033826-Getting-into-Oxbridge-with-average-A-level-results-via/AllOnOnePage

So in all fairness, I think it's certainly NOT impossible to buy your way into Oxbridge, or any other uni for that matter, Harvard included (possibly more so).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 270
Maybe he is shy because he is from Russia and a new to the UK..?
Just because someone has money doesn't automatically mean they can't work hard or be smart.
Original post by curiousquest
Name: A-Levels Grades: Year : Uni

Prince Charles: BC: 1960s : Cambridge
Prince Edward: CDE : 1980s : Cambridge
Polly Toynbee: 1 A-Level but got scholarship : 1960s : Oxford
David Miliband: BBCD : 1980s : Oxford
Rowan Pelling: ABC : 1980s: Oxford
Angus Mackinnon: BBBCC : 1970s : Oxford

Maybe the standard offer was a lot lower in the past, they did well in the fourth term / STEP papers or represented GB in the Olympiad and subsequently got unconditional offers, though I can't see how Polly Toynbee could have got a scholarship to Oxford with only one A-Level.

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/education/1033826-Getting-into-Oxbridge-with-average-A-level-results-via/AllOnOnePage

So in all fairness, I think it's certainly NOT impossible to buy your way into Oxbridge, or any other uni for that matter, Harvard included (possibly more so).

That's very solid evidence (offers that could have been given to anyone) over a compelling sample size (six people) you have there, from very recent times (no later than the '80s), bro
Once one says something isn't bribery ie offering money to secure a place; it isn't string pulling ie seeking preferential treatment on the basis of personal connections; and it isn't preferential access in terms of grades then what one is left with is merely the natural advantages that money and connections gives one.

An 18 year old who has mixed with royalty ought to be more polished, someone who has seen politics at first hand ought to have a better understanding of political history and someone who has travelled widely ought to have greater cultural awareness. That's without regard to paying for a good education.

Prince Charles is often trotted out in this context. He might not be the brightest thing on two legs but at 18 he could no doubt have brought far more life experience, both personal and reflected in the persons with whom he would have spoken, to bear than the average lad from a northern grammar school.

Oh dear! Lol. This is an interesting perspective albeit a rather bigoted one. You certainly humour me. You make the assumption that the 18-year-old "polished" child, is somehow rendered more mature by cause of the fact his parents buys Duchy's Original sausages instead of ASDA basics, as opposed to these being, at best, mere associations. An 18-year-old, however "polished", most probably will have never dabbled in politics, even if their parents are politicians or even political state leaders, and you're argument is flawed in the sense that you imply that being the president's son somehow gives one innate unction and knowledge into such vocation, when actually the truth is that such teenagers get into such positions by way of the fact that agency is given to them because mummy or papa is a prince or president.

Focusing now on your use of "polished", I guess this is a word that I can apply to some of those who went to my school and university, who are sons and daughters of politicians, foreign office envoys, and prominent businessmen and women, who mostly spent their gap years hammered in South Asia, shagging Aussie and Kiwi antipodeans and at present seem to have their noses in lines of white powder more than they do in books on the vocations of their parents. This I am led to believe, according to your marvellous insight such matters based on empiricism and not opinion (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), makes them more cultured, refined or indeed STD-free, and all the other connotations linked with "polished", etc.

I don't doubt that money and resource help to broaden the mind and refine character, but it is a double-edged sword, that can equally in-still arrogance and a sense of having a right above others (much like your honourable self is displaying at this moment) into young minds.

I'm often perplexed at the nonchalance and confidence with which people regurgitate inflammatory nonsense about others such as "the average lad from a Northern grammar school", when such Northern lads, like half the male medical cohort I work with, who hail from the North of England, seem like nice and rather refined friends and colleagues. It also bemuses me somewhat, how offentimes the categorisations and stereotyping of people seems to be based on arbitrary notions like their accent. Anyway, it's been riveting listening to your bigotry, but I've got a few errands to run. ;-)
(edited 12 years ago)
Of course you can buy your way into Oxford - it's just the currency they accept is qualifications, academic prowess and a good interview.
Oh dear! Lol. This is an interesting perspective albeit a rather bigoted one. You certainly humour me. You make the assumption that the 18-year-old "polished" child, is somehow rendered more mature by cause of the fact his parents buys Duchy's Original sausages instead of ASDA basics, as opposed to these being, at best, mere associations. An 18-year-old, however "polished", most probably will have never dabbled in politics, even if their parents are politicians or even political state leaders, and you're argument is flawed in the sense that you imply that being the president's son somehow gives one innate unction and knowledge into such vocation, when actually the truth is that such teenagers get into such positions by way of the fact that agency is given to them because mummy or papa is a prince or president.

Focusing now on your use of "polished", I guess this is a word that I can apply to some of those who went to my school and university, who are sons and daughters of politicians, foreign office envoys, and prominent businessmen and women, who mostly spent their gap years hammered in South Asia, shagging Aussie and Kiwi antipodeans and at present seem to have their noses in lines of white powder more than they do in books on the vocations of their parents. This I am led to believe, according to your marvellous insight such matters based on empiricism and not opinion (wink, wink, nudge, nudge), makes them more cultured, refined or indeed STD-free, and all the other connotations linked with "polished", etc.

I don't doubt that money and resource help to broaden the mind and refine character, but it is a double-edged sword, that can equally in-still arrogance and a sense of having a right above others (much like your honourable self is displaying at this moment) into young minds.

I'm often perplexed at the nonchalance and confidence with which people regurgitate inflammatory nonsense about others such as "the average lad from a Northern grammar school", when such Northern lads, like half the male medical cohort I work with, who hail from the North of England, seem like nice and rather refined friends and colleagues. It also bemuses me somewhat, how offentimes the categorisations and stereotyping of people seems to be based on arbitrary notions like their accent. Anyway, it's been riveting listening to your bigotry, but I've got a few errands to run. ;-)

My, my, we have touched a raw nerve.

I should say that my comments come from my experience as a working class lad from a comprehensive at Oxford, albeit many years ago.

It is naive in the extreme to believe that the advantages in life that some people have, do not rub off on them in any way, even on yourself. You refer to knowing the sons and daughters of politicians, diplomats etc. Well, I think I knew someone whose father was a GP and I was at school with the son of the local Methodist minister and a RAF officer. You refer to people with noses in white powder. I don't think I knew anyone at school who had had tried cocaine; my contemporaries were more likely to have got high on Evo-stick.
Reply 275

I wish you would calm down a little. It is conceivable that underneath all of your rambling and repetitive sophistry you may have one or two intelligent points to make, but this will be impossible to assess until you look properly at the question under discussion and respond to it in a more direct, evidence based fashion. I hope that you bring a more rational approach to medical diagnosis.

Could you please just tell us, in a few sentences if at all possible, why you believe that you (that is, anyone with enough money) can buy (that is, without having the requisite academic ability) your way into Oxford (not LSE, Cambridge, or anywhere else). By all means take issue with the first two of my parenthesised caveats, but try to stick to Oxford as the case in point; we can't speak for other universities, and your repeated recourse to the Said Gadaffi/LSE example rebuts rather than supports the case against Oxford, for reasons that have already been explained to you but on which we can elaborate further if you insist.
(edited 12 years ago)
My, my, we have touched a raw nerve.

I should say that my comments come from my experience as a working class lad from a comprehensive at Oxford, albeit many years ago.

It is naive in the extreme to believe that the advantages in life that some people have, do not rub off on them in any way, even on yourself. You refer to knowing the sons and daughters of politicians, diplomats etc. Well, I think I knew someone whose father was a GP and I was at school with the son of the local Methodist minister and a RAF officer. You refer to people with noses in white powder. I don't think I knew anyone at school who had had tried cocaine; my contemporaries were more likely to have got high on Evo-stick.

Not really, I just have little time for bigotry, strange as that may be.

I actually never said that the advantages in in life do not rub of on them. Actually, I'll think you'll find I said:

I don't doubt that money and resource help to broaden the mind and refine character, but it is a double-edged sword, that can equally in-still arrogance and a sense of having a right above others...

However, with all things in life there are provisos and caveats; it is the parental and pastoral conditions that govern how refined a person becomes and not the money in itself. Hence, many people from not so wealthy backgrounds go onto have notable successes in life and are upstanding members of the public, many do not and some on amassing wealth and security, transform into gordy nouvelles riches. Conversely, many people from wealthy background go onto to be successes in life, and many do not, and some go onto to have major social and personal problems (this is self-evident from the ever growing list of young heirs, sons/daughters of heavyweights and celebrities whose actions in the press have purely amassed infamy as opposed notable worthiness). My point is that you shouldn't be so naïve to infer that money is the absolute and fundamental basis of such "meritocracy" in academic institutions like you did in your last posts as opposed to suggesting it is just an adjunct at best, when so may aspiring hopefuls from all backgrounds prove that that view point is pure fallacy.

Re: White powder - you referred to yourself as "working class" that attended a comprehensive albeit in Oxford, but a comprehensive nonetheless, so you're not gonna be qualified to speak about what it is to watch some of your peers around you engaging in sniffing coke at private school or uni. (Bear in mind, in my GCSE year (many moons ago), at the private school I went to, a A-level student was expelled, arrested and prosecuted for having bought a kilo of coke (powder) and 40 bottles of alcohol with intent to sell, in addition to that having done my fair share of work in A&E, you soon get a feel of the demographic that come in coked of their face, or are high on ketamine and amphetamines; such people aren't poor and dare I say it, even have high-flying white collar jobs.)

Just this Easter bank holiday weekend, I was with friends who are graduates of redbricks and private schools, some of whom are bankers, lawyers, software developers,etc, whose other associates were constantly rubbing their noses after having sniffed lines of the white stuff in the bathroom; but seemingly because of your sweeping statement of their background, they are more "refined", than Joe Public, son of Mr. and Mrs. Public, who is a good straight-A student from Huddersfield, applying to study engineering at Oxbridge, so that he can become an engineer like his Dad, despite the fact that he is vastly more travelled, and has life experiences of his own that have carved him into the sharp young erudite that he is.

Again, I am completely bemused by such narrow-minded notions.
Reply 277
They don't need to accept a dictator's son in order to look good.

In fact, they did not accept Saif Gaddafi (or discouraged him to apply) even though the Foreign Office asked them to (or inquired on his behalf).

That's pretty good evidence they are not routinely corruptible given that LSE got £1.5  million off him. :facepalm2:

Original post by TurboCretin
Given that they rejected Saif Gaddafi, I would venture 'no'.

Edit: sorry, just saw that...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Extricated
Three theories.

1) You're lying to perpetuate myths about Oxford.
2) He's lying about his "offer."
3) He seems quiet to you but may be excellent at his subject and felt more comfortable talking to people who share the same passion for his subject, excelling at interview.

:rolleyes:

4) OP is right.

Money talks and opens a lot of doors, Id say its perfectly possible
Original post by shoshin
I wish you would calm down a little. It is conceivable that underneath all of your rambling and repetitive sophistry you may have one or two intelligent points to make, but this will be impossible to assess until you look properly at the question under discussion and respond to it in a more direct, evidence based fashion. I hope that you bring a more rational approach to medical diagnosis.

Could you please just tell us, in a few sentences if at all possible, why you believe that you (that is, anyone with enough money) can buy (that is, without having the requisite academic ability) your way into Oxford (not LSE, Cambridge, or anywhere else). By all means take issue with the first two of my parenthesised caveats, but try to stick to Oxford as the case in point; we can't speak for other universities, and your repeated recourse to the Said Gadaffi/LSE example rebuts rather than supports the case against Oxford, for reasons that have already been explained to you but on which we can elaborate further if you insist.

By calm down, do you mean that I should stop laughing? Because that is what I did on reading nulli tertius prejudice, but funny musings.

Err, "reptitive sophistry"? What is repetitive about my comment to nulli tertius? I'll have you know that I would trump you any, on an episode of just a minute. (Although, admittedly that not necessarily something to be hugely proud of and also rambling on about Duchy's Originals sausages, might be considered as deviation, but the former comment still stands.) LOL ;-D

Evidently, you're one of these lovely people on this interesting forum that loves to post remarks without reading and digesting peoples prior comments or else you would have seen the 3 times I have made my standpoint on OP question, before this proxy-argument ensued.

Re: Is it true you can BUY your way into Oxford?

There is a lot of truth to that comment as not just Oxford, but Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, the other redbricks and their American equivalents have a long history of accepting the progeny of the rich, the famous and the influential, and particularly those from abroad. I suppose a mixture of money and maintaining ties upon which both parties mutually benefit from lies at the heart.

Let me put it differently, if they didn't have the connections, the fame or the financial resource, would they have still gotten a place and I think (with the greatest objectivity in mind) the answer is either "No" or at best, "maybe".

Again, does their fame or their parents influence carve them a place at Oxbridge, thereby potentially ousting the place of another hopeful? I believe it does.

I hope that spells it out for you. If not, send me an email and I can send you one of those pretty e-banners from moonpig.com that reads: SHOSHIN, IS IT TRUE YOU CAN BUY YOUR WAY INTO OXFORD? YES, I BELIEVE IT IS!

Lol. ;-)
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending