The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by memomemootoo
lol i was gonna mention russians aswell... my mum's friend said that their parents buy them places at oxford... and when i went there for an interview i did see a suspiciously disproportionate number of russians already studying there... unfortunately i got rejected, perhaps partly because my parents arent oligarchs :emo:

Funny, I was going to mention that too :rolleyes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-15966132
While it's not exactly the same thing, I suppose it's roughly on the same page as the OP's point.

Ooops, I quoted the wrong post. Sorry!
(edited 12 years ago)
I think it's theoretically possible, but why the hell would anyone do it?
Reply 122
Yes its true, there a big bucket under the desk at the interviews and you have to fill it with twentty pound notes to get an offer. True story.
Of course you can buy your way, as in every other top school in the world, especially in the US. And with the government cutting its education spending, the incentive to receive some kind of big "donations" is even greater.

You'd have to be blind to not accept the fact that bribes do and will always exist for Oxbridge and many others.

EDIT: When I say bribes, I'm thinking HUGE donations for the university. I know that because it happens for my independent high school aswell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by RichE
Sorry for the neg rep. Was trying to pos rep and missed! apologies again

np :p: you can always pos in a few days to make up
Original post by KingMessi
Which of course makes it even more unlikely that they'd allow anyone in with BBB.

given the alledged BBB entrant was Russian and therefore not subject to that place capping ...
This is ridiculous!! Clearly most people commenting on this thread of have had no experience of the Oxbridge application process and simply see it as a chance to get their anti-oxbridge agenda across. If you had been through the process, you would know that there is absolutely no chance of this happening. During the process, almost everyone in each department will see each person who is given an offer. It's not a fleeting decision, but each application is considered in depth by many people. You don't honestly believe that there are departments full of people that have no moral objection to bribery.

In addition, if this happened, it would be all over the papers! Every year they cause uproar when some very bright students don't get accepted. Imagine what they would be like if there was corruption in the system. Oxford and Cambridge build their reputations around simply accepting the brightest students, regardless of their background. Of course they wouldn't sacrifice these world-renowned reputations for a single donation. Especially when you consider that the university and its constituent colleges are absolutely loaded. They don't need the money nearly enough to risk losing their reputation.

Just because you have one rich friend who got in and you believe he didn't deserve to doesn't mean they are corrupt. I know other, not-rich people that got in that I believed weren't good enough. This is simply a result of a less than perfect admissions process, not corruption. They try to make the admissions as fair as possible, but mistakes always happen in something as subjective as choosing between candidates.

Furthermore, for anyone that actually cares and is looking for a real answer as opposed to a chance to have a go at Oxbridge, here are some article that fairly conclusively prove this does not happen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1365968/Admission-by-donation-ruled-out-at-Oxford.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1720940.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/01/foreign-office-oxford-gaddafi-son?intcmp=239 - the foreign office tried to get Gaddafi's son into Oxford. Oxford simply replied that "[his application was] unlikely to prosper because Saif had no social science training, and his prior degree did not meet the requisite quality standard". If the foreign office can't get someone in, its pretty safe to say that noone can.
Original post by ROBBY7896
This is ridiculous!! Clearly most people commenting on this thread of have had no experience of the Oxbridge application process and simply see it as a chance to get their anti-oxbridge agenda across. If you had been through the process, you would know that there is absolutely no chance of this happening. During the process, almost everyone in each department will see each person who is given an offer. It's not a fleeting decision, but each application is considered in depth by many people. You don't honestly believe that there are departments full of people that have no moral objection to bribery.

In addition, if this happened, it would be all over the papers! Every year they cause uproar when some very bright students don't get accepted. Imagine what they would be like if there was corruption in the system. Oxford and Cambridge build their reputations around simply accepting the brightest students, regardless of their background. Of course they wouldn't sacrifice these world-renowned reputations for a single donation. Especially when you consider that the university and its constituent colleges are absolutely loaded. They don't need the money nearly enough to risk losing their reputation.

Just because you have one rich friend who got in and you believe he didn't deserve to doesn't mean they are corrupt. I know other, not-rich people that got in that I believed weren't good enough. This is simply a result of a less than perfect admissions process, not corruption. They try to make the admissions as fair as possible, but mistakes always happen in something as subjective as choosing between candidates.

Furthermore, for anyone that actually cares and is looking for a real answer as opposed to a chance to have a go at Oxbridge, here are some article that fairly conclusively prove this does not happen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1365968/Admission-by-donation-ruled-out-at-Oxford.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/1720940.stm
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/dec/01/foreign-office-oxford-gaddafi-son?intcmp=239 - the foreign office tried to get Gaddafi's son into Oxford. Oxford simply replied that "[his application was] unlikely to prosper because Saif had no social science training, and his prior degree did not meet the requisite quality standard". If the foreign office can't get someone in, its pretty safe to say that noone can.

Hang on a mo. The end of your first link says...
Despite Trinity's stand, some manipulation does still happen behind the scenes, according to Prof Valentine Cunningham, an outspoken commentator on Oxford admission policies and tutor of English at Corpus Christi.
"It's quite difficult for colleges to turn down certain children," he said. "I'm pleased at Trinity's action because it shows there is still some bite among tutors. But I think pressures on colleges are subtle and are sometimes succumbed to."

Which is an on the record admission by someone on the inside of the admissions process saying it happens, or at least happened 10 years ago.
Original post by Joinedup
x

Interesting, I didn't read the whole article before posting it. I would suggest that this is probably a mis-quote. Newspapers notoriously twist people's words and I'm guessing this might be another case of this happening
Yes, money can buy everything; even a place at Oxford.

Obviously you need to know the right people, there were rumours of LSE doing the same.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/story.asp?storycode=192047

However, you will need to at least have some sort of intelligence and drive to get in. I think this is unfair, but that's how the world works. I can fully understand the university's incentives to do so though. I would probably do the same if I was Oxford.

"Economics is run by incentives, the rest is just commentary" S. Landsburg
Original post by Joinedup
Hang on a mo. The end of your first link says...

Which is an on the record admission by someone on the inside of the admissions process saying it happens, or at least happened 10 years ago.

I think most people accept that this happens on some level - the question is, how often? Personally I think it's "very, very rarely". It's a complete stab in the dark, but perhaps between two and ten people a year? That the article is from 2002 is significant, I think, because even since then universities have been very conscious of "outreach" and cleaning up their act. When it does happen, it'll either be individuals being personally bribed, or individuals (i.e. acting outside of college policy) thinking that they're doing the best for colleges by accepting a college bribe. But the risks for doing so are enormous, for a dubious pay-off (when you consider, as I suggested on the other page, that most people who are Oxford tutors have humongous brains and could very easily have left university for a well-paid job in the city).
Reply 131
ultimately, if you are in the UK and you have enough money and want your kid to get into oxbridge, send them to Westminister School. It's a ridiculous amount that get offers from there each year.
Original post by ROBBY7896
Interesting, I didn't read the whole article before posting it. I would suggest that this is probably a mis-quote. Newspapers notoriously twist people's words and I'm guessing this might be another case of this happening

Wouldn't he have piped up about being misquoted though?

TBH I'd also take storied like OP's with a pinch of salt cos I don't think students are necessarily very accurate at working out how good their peers are.
Reply 133
Original post by tinman1
Not many give donations before they get in, it's once they leave as a sort of "cheers" for letting them in without putting them through the same vetting process that a state school kid who also got 3 A's would go through. It's an almost unwritten rule that the wealthiest parents of just average graduates will provide a donation once their child graduates. The key to getting in therefore is all in the private school you attend, Oxbridge will always look at where you attended and then will look at your parents occupations (which you MUST note when applying to these universities)

Paying to go to the top private schools is simply a way of paying to get into Oxbridge. It's still paying your way in, but not in a way that they can ever get caught out.

Except for you can't "just pay" to get into the top private schools. You compete for a place with lots of other children from good prep schools all of whom have the advantage of wealthy parents or are on scholarships for exceptional talent. Many of these prep schools were themselves selective. Eton typically has 1400 applications for 250 places. It was common to use GCSE books as revision notes for the entrance exam at 12-13 and until recently the entire year would take French, Latin & Greek GCSE a year early with almost everybody obtaining an A or A*. Not surprisingly 150-170 with straight As would later apply to Qxbridge and typically 70-80 get in. So 80-100 boys with rich parents would not manage to "buy" a place. The vast majority of my friends who got in have gone on to get firsts.
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/GCE%20A2%20Summer2011.pdf
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/GCSE%20Statistics%20Summer2011.pdf
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/Destination%20of%20Leavers%202008.pdf

Winchester, St Paul's and Westminster are similarly competitive and boys go to them from all over the country and from abroad.

Funnily enough many of their parents worry that in the current climate going to a private school would be a disadvantage when it came to decisions. Almost nobody got in without virtually perfect grades and very many of my friends had 100% in one or more A2.

People who spout nonsense about buying places are talking nonsense. The sad thing is they put people off applying, and so these rumours do enormous harm to the efforts to widen access. If you want to make it harder for rich parents' kids to get in, you need to encourage people from schools where they don't know anybody else who ever applied that it is worth a go.
Reply 134
Original post by Colmans
Except for you can't "just pay" to get into the top private schools. You compete for a place with lots of other children from good prep schools all of whom have the advantage of wealthy parents or are on scholarships for exceptional talent. Many of these prep schools were themselves selective. Eton typically has 1400 applications for 250 places. It was common to use GCSE books as revision notes for the entrance exam at 12-13 and until recently the entire year would take French, Latin & Greek GCSE a year early with almost everybody obtaining an A or A*. Not surprisingly 150-170 with straight As would later apply to Qxbridge and typically 70-80 get in. So 80-100 boys with rich parents would not manage to "buy" a place. The vast majority of my friends who got in have gone on to get firsts.
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/GCE%20A2%20Summer2011.pdf
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/GCSE%20Statistics%20Summer2011.pdf
http://www.etoncollege.com/userfiles/file/Destination%20of%20Leavers%202008.pdf

Winchester, St Paul's and Westminster are similarly competitive and boys go to them from all over the country and from abroad.

Funnily enough many of their parents worry that in the current climate going to a private school would be a disadvantage when it came to decisions. Almost nobody got in without virtually perfect grades and very many of my friends had 100% in one or more A2.

People who spout nonsense about buying places are talking nonsense. The sad thing is they put people off applying, and so these rumours do enormous harm to the efforts to widen access. If you want to make it harder for rich parents' kids to get in, you need to encourage people from schools where they don't know anybody else who ever applied that it is worth a go.

The ultimate point here is that Cambridge University usually has a ratio of around 50/50 for their private/state school intake. However only around 7% of the population attends private schools, so suddenly it's looking like it may come down to money afterall. Trust me I know people who have gotten into Cambridge who are nothing special off the back of a private education, they get their interviews no problem at the very least. It's FAR harder as a state school kid to even clinch an interview, no matter what you're predicted. You'll need to have a list of other achievements to your name like the captain of the football team or a masterful piano player to even get a look in.

Why?? Because it all comes down to MONEY.
Original post by tinman1
The ultimate point here is that Cambridge University usually has a ratio of around 50/50 for their private/state school intake. However only around 7% of the population attends private schools, so suddenly it's looking like it may come down to money afterall. Trust me I know people who have gotten into Cambridge who are nothing special off the back of a private education, they get their interviews no problem at the very least. It's FAR harder as a state school kid to even clinch an interview, no matter what you're predicted. You'll need to have a list of other achievements to your name like the captain of the football team or a masterful piano player to even get a look in.

It's not a matter of looking at students in general, of which private students make of 7%. It's a matter of looking at the students who gain the right grades to even consider applying and once you account for this rather important factor of grades then actually the state/private split in Oxford and Cambridge correlates quite well because private school students are way more likely to get the grades needed to apply.

Furthermore, you have to consider the cultural differences. In top private schools getting good grades and aiming for top universities is engrained in their culture where as comprehensive schools have a hard enough time getting people to pass 5 GCSEs at grade C (I cam from a school where this is the case) There's a lot of self-selection at comprehensives where even bright students are so used to this culture of mediocrity that they don't consider Oxbridge as being 'right' for them because of preconceived notions of what it's like. As such, it's no wonder fewer state schoolers are applying/getting in.

So really, it's easy to see the disparity between private/state entrance and assume it's due to wealth and in a way it is, but not in that they buy their way in through bribery or coercion, but in that wealth can provide a much better education. (If the Foreign office couldn't sway the Oxford tutors to let someone unqualified in I doubt many others can)

That said, I do not deny that private schools can give students a certain polish in interview that sometimes masks their true ability, but it's a fruitless exercise trying to guess how frequent this is and not really fair on what is likely the vast majority of private school students who do deserve to be here on merit.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 136
Well, it is law.
The Prime Minister of Pakistan's son attended Brunel, a member of Royalty from Dubai attended QMUL, and a princess recently graduated from Goldsmiths.

Surely they could've bought their way into Oxford if it was possible?
Original post by Rgman27
Sure, you can. How do you think all these Princes and etc go to Good Unis? lol.

If I remember correctly, Prince Charles went to Cambridge.

I know someone at Imperial in the year above who used to use money to get through.

I swear Prince Charles isn't actually that academic...
Original post by tinman1

Why do 50% of Oxbridge students come from private schools? Because 50% of applicants come from private schools. The success rate for applicants from the private/state sector is very similar, it's just that fewer state-school pupils apply, especially from comprehensives. You can't blame Oxford and Cambridge for the dire state of our education system; they already account for the school's average grades when they look at GCSEs/A-levels. Once again you are trampling all over the facts in your haste to defend your preconceived conclusion.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending