The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's not hard at all to get in MA programmes, but that's not the case with PhD programmes since normally--not always, though--those who are admitted into PhD programmes in top unis will be fully funded.
Reply 2
It definitely depends on the program and the school. Yale English, Stanford psychology, MIT biology, U Chicago economics, etc. all receive several hundred applications for 5-10 slots...much, much more competitive than undergrad.

For MA/MS degrees, it also depends. Many graduate programs refuse to admit MS-only applicants and merely grant it to you along the way to your PhD. It's also true that many masters programs are not terribly competitive (geology, for example). However, many are, especially at top schools.

If you are accepted into a PhD program, you are usually given at least 4-5 years of funding. The package usually includes a tuition/fees waiver, a stipend ($15-20k per year), and possibly health insurance or other benefits. In return, most grad students serve as teaching assistants or research assistants.
Thanks for the replies so far. :smile:

Can someone give me an idea on the chances of getting accepted in the grad schools of UIUC, Georgia Tech, Berkeley, and UM for Engineering?
Furthermore, how are the chances like for international graduates (with non-US degrees) to getting admission in MIT, Stanford, and other top schools (in the list below) for doing MS in Engineering? Any idea?

=========================================================
Engineering schools that offer a doctorate:

1. University of California–Berkeley
2. U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
3. Georgia Institute of Technology
4. University of Texas–Austin
5. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology
6. Stanford University (CA)
7. Purdue Univ.–West Lafayette (IN)
8. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor
9. Cornell University
10. Texas A&M Univ.–College Station
11. Virginia Tech
12. Northwestern University (IL)
13. Carnegie Mellon University (PA)
14. California Institute of Technology
15. Pennsylvania State U.–University Park
16. Princeton University (NJ)
17. University of Florida
18. Univ. of Minnesota–Twin Cities
19. University of Washington
20. Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison

Engineering schools that offer a masters or bachelors as its highest degree:

1. Rose-Hulman Inst. of Tech. (IN)
2. United States Military Academy (NY)
3. Cooper Union (NY)
4. Bucknell University (PA)
5. Cal Poly–San Luis Obispo
6. Harvey Mudd College (CA)
7. Lafayette College (PA)
8. United States Air Force Acad. (CO)
9. Calif. State Poly. Univ.–Pomona
10. Villanova University (PA)
11. Virginia Military Institute
12. United States Naval Academy (MD)
13. Bradley University (IL)
14. Loyola Marymount University (CA)
15. United States Coast Guard Acad. (CT)
16. Ohio Northern University
17. San Jose State University (CA)
18. Valparaiso University (IN)

Source: US News & World Reports, 2006
=========================================================
warblersrule
If you are accepted into a PhD program, you are usually given at least 4-5 years of funding. The package usually includes a tuition/fees waiver, a stipend ($15-20k per year), and possibly health insurance or other benefits. In return, most grad students serve as teaching assistants or research assistants.

Note about this: the University of Chicago, for one, does not have any grad student TAs at all, but rather expects you to fend for yourself. My cousin, who's from Chicago, likes to joke that the bars/shops in Hyde Park boast the smartest waitstaff in the world...
Florida is one of the cheapest states to attend university.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/college/cfguide/top-ten1.asp

Plus the weather is good!

I have been to University of Miami and I od like it. The people are friendly and again the weather is good! :biggrin:

http://www.miami.edu/engineering/

http://www.miami.edu/intladmission/

Hope that helps!

Edit: Also, they look for about 1200+ on you SATs, which is not bad compared to other universities.
Reply 7
realturtlesoup
Note about this: the University of Chicago, for one, does not have any grad student TAs at all, but rather expects you to fend for yourself. My cousin, who's from Chicago, likes to joke that the bars/shops in Hyde Park boast the smartest waitstaff in the world...

This isn't strictly true, insofar as it depends on which program/department you are talking about. For example, PhD students in political science at Chicago do receive a full funding package tied to TAing obligations - "Many of our fellowships have a teaching component. Students serve as teaching assistants in undergraduate lecture courses and several serve as teaching assistants in the department's methodology sequence." - http://political-science.uchicago.edu/grad-brochure.html#financial.

On the other hand, I have a feeling that UChicago's econ department doesn't fund grad students in the first instance, though someone might want to check that.
Craigy_Boy
This isn't strictly true, insofar as it depends on which program/department you are talking about. For example, PhD students in political science at Chicago do receive a full funding package tied to TAing obligations - "Many of our fellowships have a teaching component. Students serve as teaching assistants in undergraduate lecture courses and several serve as teaching assistants in the department's methodology sequence." - http://political-science.uchicago.edu/grad-brochure.html#financial.

Haha, good call. That's mildly amusing though, as in the American undergraduate world it's one of their big bragging points--Chicago is rather snotty about not having grad students teaching.
Reply 9
how does this work for someone with an undergrad degree from the UK, wishing to attend a top/ good US law school?
Reply 10
I've applied to many of the universities below, though as undergraduate student in Engineering as domestic student so I can't really say how relevant my comments are:
1. University of California–Berkeley. It is quite difficult to get in. You must have maintained a very high GPA in your university.

2. U. of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
It is not that difficult to get admitted as an international student.

3. Georgia Institute of Technology
As with the Illinois, GaTech is also easy to get into (i.e. relative to other universities on this list.)
4. University of Texas–Austin
As an international student it should be somewhat difficult.

5. Massachusetts Inst. of Technology. It is very difficult to get into MIT, be it for undergrad or graduate studies. If you have a high GPA and are comitted to study ~ 12 hours a day, apply.

6. Stanford University (CA). It is quite difficult to get in as Stanford is quite selective. If you have a high GPA, go for it. California certainly has nice weather :smile:

8. University of Michigan–Ann Arbor. This is only somewhat difficult. With a above average GPA you stand a fair chance of getting in.

9. Cornell University. Not the best university for Engineering. Cornell is more a 'medicine' university.

13. Carnegie Mellon University (PA). It depends on which program you wish to attend. If its Computer Engineering, you don't stand much of a chance. But for other disciples of engineering, it will be less difficult.

14. California Institute of Technology. This is perhaps the most selective engineering in the US. Arguably it is even better than MIT. Only perfect students are ever admitted. (For undergrad only students with ~2400 in SAT apply). I would not recommend you apply to this unless you had a ~4.0 GPA throughout your undergrad education.

15. Pennsylvania State U.–University Park
This is the most prominent State University. It is somewhat difficult to get in, not due to highly selective admission procedures, but because a large number of people apply (its cheap and good).

I hope that helps.
Reply 11
I would recommend that you visit the following forum:
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/

It has numerous students from many prominent universities in the U.S., doing either undergraduate or graduate studies. There is also a member of the Admissions Team from some universities (MIT, CalTech and a few others) there, so you can ask them questions!
Thanks everyone (esp. aiman) for posting in this thread. Now I've got the answer to my initial question. :smile:

Cheers
Reply 13
<A-S-H-I-Q-U-E>
Thanks everyone (esp. aiman) for posting in this thread. Now I've got the answer to my initial question.

Cheers

You're welcome. If you have any more questions don't hesitate in asking me and I'll do my best to answer.
Good Luck with your applications! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending