The Student Room Group

AQA AS Geography resit January 18th 2012

Hi, just thought I'd start a thread as I haven't seen one yet. Just to discuss any tips, last minute revision ideas or questions which could be likely to come up? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm resitting the exam this month as well. What has been your method of revision ?
Reply 2
I'm resitting it too. Hope I do well this time round, especially since I'm planning on doing it for uni.
Reply 3
I'm doing it too, so not looking forward to it :frown:
Reply 4
Anyone have any idea what will come up for Rivers, Coasts, Health or Population? This is my 3rd time doing it.. Got an E both times! Its one of the hardest exams I've done.. but I only need to get a C in it to get into uni
Original post by rmartin735
Anyone have any idea what will come up for Rivers, Coasts, Health or Population? This is my 3rd time doing it.. Got an E both times! Its one of the hardest exams I've done.. but I only need to get a C in it to get into uni

I do exactly the same topics as you, I'm going to do a little table with the year and what has come up in the papers previously, and work out what is *likely* to come up this time.

We should all go on Skype and revise together! LOL.
Reply 6
What questions do you think will come up this month? i'm taking: rivers, population, health and cold environments. Any ideas?
Reply 7
Original post by Sophie1805

I do exactly the same topics as you, I'm going to do a little table with the year and what has come up in the papers previously, and work out what is *likely* to come up this time.

We should all go on Skype and revise together! LOL.

i'm doing the same as you both. skype is a great idea haha!

i have a feeling HIV will come up for health...any other ideas?
Reply 8
The exam last summer was easy. I suppose it helped that I was in Year 13 so I had more knowledge and an understanding of the exam from last time.
Original post by popnit

I can send you my little spreadsheet if you want! :L

I have a strong feeling salt marshes will come up in coasts! They haven't come up before at all! :smile:
Reply 10

I can send you my little spreadsheet if you want! :L

I have a strong feeling salt marshes will come up in coasts! They haven't come up before at all! :smile:

Omg you're a star! Please do that if you don't mind..
Reply 11
As it's a retake i haven't had teachers helping with the predictions.
so 15markers HIV for health
what about population, rivers and cold environ?
Reply 12
Original post by popnit

I'm doing them too! I was thinking HIV as well and then maybe population management for population change?
Reply 13
Guessing what will come is a dangerous game, they are meant to be unpredictable. :P
Anyway I did this in the summer and it was hard, somehow got an A though.

I did Rivers, population, energy and cold environ.
Reply 14
I'm finding it so hard to get anything 10+ marks in the 15 markers. Has anyone got any tips? I always get around 7. It's so frustrating. If I get half marks on these 15 markers, it will really put my grade down.

I need a C too.
I did really bad last year and got a U :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by aedai
I'm finding it so hard to get anything 10+ marks in the 15 markers. Has anyone got any tips? I always get around 7. It's so frustrating. If I get half marks on these 15 markers, it will really put my grade down.

I need a C too.
I did really bad last year and got a U :frown:

hey .... the best for tomorrow's 15 markers from what i've been taught is
1. in the intro state your opinion
2. ensure you make a point, explain it and back it up with a case study research
3. in your conclusion make sure you don't repeat everything you've said and just SUMMARISE ... then state why you're opinion is as such from the beginning (in your intro) ... it usually does the trick

i have my odd days when i only get 8 or 9 ... but it usually gets most people 10 and above :smile:
Reply 16
Try and get diagrams in there too if you can, takes up some space makes your answer look longer :wink:

I just hope the questions aren't too vague, usually people prefer vague questions cause it gives you more choices to write about but I always end up writing about something that won't get me enough marks :|
Reply 17
Original post by lfcfred09
Try and get diagrams in there too if you can, takes up some space makes your answer look longer :wink:

Yeah that's a good idea, but can you replace a whole explanation with an annotated diagram, or would you not get as many marks? :confused:
Reply 18
Original post by emelizabeth

I have 15 hours before this exam, i do not know anything, im resitting and have had more important exams come up, im thinking of just revising the topics in that spreadsheet (thanks) is there anything else i can do apart from pray?
Reply 19
[QUOTE="emelizabeth;35897961"]
Original post by lfcfred09

Yeah that's a good idea, but can you replace a whole explanation with an annotated diagram, or would you not get as many marks? :confused:

I think the explanation is more important, you could leave a gap in your answer for a diagram and go back to it at the end if you've got enough time.

I don't think I'll go into the exam with a particular strategy, I'll just try and get my terminology and case studies in my answers :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending