The Student Room Group

Jamaica to break links with Queen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16449969

What are people's thoughts on this?

Personally I couldn't care less. The only links I care much about within the commonwealth are those with Canada, India, South Africa and Australia and those are only minor links at the moment.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'd like to see us follow suit.

Edit: Ooh, contentious issue. For the record, I quite like the Queen. I like corgis too, I just don't appreciate the heinously undemocratic nature of her existence in the UK.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Pretty indifferent tbh
Reply 3
Maybe if more people smoked pot over here we'd get rid of the monarchy too.
Reply 4
Interesting to note that she didn't mention anything about leaving the commonwealth pre-election.

I have a feeling that may have effected the number of votes she would have got.
Reply 5
welcome to do whatever they want.
Reply 6
Congratulations to them, I'm pleased
No opinion really. However, they have much more major problems going on with poverty, corruption and violent crime, which I believe should be the main focus.

Up to the Jamaican people.
I think we should follow their suit and develop a bobsleigh team
Reply 9
The combination or arrogance and pettiness in post-colonial politicians is often quite unattractive. Here we have a prime example. No argument for a republic, just a cheap policy to toss out when required.

I don't doubt toppling a Queen is terrific for egos, but it is based on the faulty assumption that shooting a tiger makes you as strong as one. Still, to the rest of the world, it just looks like a lot of rubbish.
As someone commented, though I cannot entirely prove it's accuracy:

Suboran
The BBC ran an article last year indicating that 60% of Jamaicans would prefer the UK as it's government. I doubt that this move is generally popular in Jamaica.

Also, the article title is very misleading, as is this thread title, suggesting that this is actually going to happen just because the leader of a country thinks it. It sounds like she's just trying to score political points though. It's not going to improve Jamaica in the least.
Reply 11
I do not mind Jamacia deciding to get rid of the monarchy, however it is something the people should decide. The Jamacian PM is currently refusing to hold a referendum.

I cannot help but wonder if this is linked to the fact that only 35% of Jamacians support becoming a republic and most Jamacians still support the monarchy.
Reply 12

Go go Jamaican Monarchism!

The Privy Council appeals thing is a load of rubbish too. Basically, they want to bring back the death penalty. The Privy Council won't do it by the back door, for perfectly good reasons. Thus, they want to get rid of it and are using silly anti-imperial rhetoric to bring it about. That's not particularly reasonable.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Bring on the Dianne Abbot 1000 year dynasty
Although I don't really favour a monarch, I quite like having some sort of link with the commonwealth countries like jamaica, canada, australia etc.

Ah well i suppose it was going to happen one day. Maybe it will happen here as well. :ahee:
Reply 15
I wonder how the phonecall went.

'We dun' wan' fi have link wid de queen nah more'.
Reply 16
Hm... I personally think they should have waited until the queen left office ......I mean she certainly is one of the few public figures who is worth calling legendary due to her experience dating back to figures like Churchill . However once she is gone I don't really see a valid reason why anyone except for Britain should keep a Monarch as head of state ......
Reply 17
Jamaica is in an awful mess. Maybe they should sort out their own real problems, rather than trying to cheaply gain votes.
Original post by Rant
Maybe if more people smoked pot over here we'd get rid of the monarchy too.

I like your thinking, negged as you may be :wink:
Reply 19
Cut Missus Queen out like dem blood clat

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending