The Student Room Group

Student maintenance grant for migrant workers

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping someone here might be able to give me some help or advice regarding my boyfriends application for extra financial help during his studies. I've been scouring as many documents as I can find but I'm struggling to ascertain what he may or may not be entitled to. I'm English and don't know much about the entitlements of migrant workers/EU citizens! My boyfriend isn't certain either as he has been told differing things by the application helpline people and his student finance advisers.

My boyfriend is 24 and is currently studying towards his first BSc at Coventry uni. He has already been accepted for a tuition fee loan and continues to work part time while studying. However, there is just not enough money from his wages to cover his travel and living costs and he had been told prior to applying for this course that he would be entitled to some sort of grant/loan on top of the tuition fee loan but he hasn't yet applied for any extra loans/grants.

About his situation, he came to the UK in 2008 with his family from Poland and worked for a year before returning to Poland for about 6 months to stay with family. He then returned to the UK and resumed his full time job. He has settled in the UK and has no plans to return to Poland to live and has been in the UK for over 3 years, but not continously due to the 6 months spent back in Poland in 2009.

Would he be considered as a migrant worker considering he has worked in the UK since 2008 (apart from the 6 month break)? The info I found states that to be considered an EEA migrant worker you must satisfy these criteria:

be a national of an EEA country or Switzerland; and,
have been ordinarily resident in the EEA or Switzerland for the 3 years immediately before 1 September 2010 for purposes other than mainly for full-time education; and,
be ordinarily resident in England and Wales on the first day of the first academic year of the course (1 September for courses commencing in Autumn);
have taken up work since moving to the UK; and
continue to work whilst studying.

Has anyone had any luck applying as a migrant worker? Are there any restrictions or any extra things to be aware of?

Sorry about the long post, I am slightly confused about this as I have been told different things by different people and it's all becoming a tad bewildering!

Thanks very much in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending