The Student Room Group

Using gel pens in exams?

Okay I know you’re not supposed to use anything other than a black biro in exams but does anyone flout this rule and use gel pens or fountain pens? I find it impossible to write quickly and neatly with a biro, and you have to press on much harder which makes your hand ache, especially in essay subjects. I’ve always used black gel pens in exams and I’ve never had a problem with it despite it saying not to use them on the front of the paper. But is there any chance I could get disqualified for it? It seems really trivial but I know they can be picky sometimes :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

I did all my exams with a fountain pen, and mainly blue ink. The problem is, gel pens and fountain pens don't dry as quickly and sometimes smudge and will become illegible when your papers are photocopied.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by -Haz-
Okay I know you’re not supposed to use anything other than a black biro in exams but does anyone flout this rule and use gel pens or fountain pens? I find it impossible to write quickly and neatly with a biro, and you have to press on much harder which makes your hand ache, especially in essay subjects. I’ve always used black gel pens in exams and I’ve never had a problem with it despite it saying not to use them on the front of the paper. But is there any chance I could get disqualified for it? It seems really trivial but I know they can be picky sometimes :s-smilie:

As long as it doesnt smudge or shizzle, should be alright.
I used a jelly for lit. Didnt like it though.
Reply 3
I doubt they'd be that stringent, unless you somehow have the answers written on the inside of your gel pen. I use fast-drying gel pens specifically for exams all through uni.
Reply 4
Original post by umop apisdn

I did all my exams with a fountain pen, and mainly blue ink. The problem is, gel pens and fountain pens don't try as quickly and sometimes smudge and will become illegible when your papers are photocopied.

Blue ink?
Reply 5
I did a GCSE exam in a silver glittery gel pen once... My shadow leaned over the exam paper made it look black.

I wasn't penalised thankfully.
Reply 6
I've always used black gelpens and been fine :dontknow: They're more expensive, but aside from that I can't see why anyone would possibly have an issue with them.
Original post by RP-MRU.
Blue ink?

Yes, but this was back in 2004-8 :moon:

God I feel old.
Reply 8

Yes, but this was back in 2004-8 :moon:

God I feel old.

Okay, fair enough. No, no, not at all. :tongue:
Reply 9
You’d be surprised how much difference a pen can make, I find it hard to even use biros in class because they don’t flow across the page properly and they’re constantly running out. I probably am prepared to take the risk, as I’ve said I’ve never had a problem with it before and (stupid as it may sound) I think using a biro could really affect my performance.
They tell you to use black ink because it shows up best when they scan the paper, that's it. They don't analyse the ink you use and penalise you if it's not from a biro. Use whatever you like as long as it's black (even if it not it doesn't REALLY matter as long as it's not light, but better safe than sorry)
Reply 11
I used fountain pen for my GCSEs but that was only becuase my school didn't allow us to use anything but fountain pens for school work so it was automatic and natural that everyone would use them.
Reply 12
Apparently gel pen ink doesn't scan properly when the papers get sent off to be externally marked.
Reply 13
I've used a black gel pen type-thing in exams before - just as long as it isn't smudgy it should be ok :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Liam6993
Apparently gel pen ink doesn't scan properly when the papers get sent off to be externally marked.

Yeah I’ve heard that, but then I’ve got scanned papers back which I did in gel pen and they’re fine. If anything it’s clearer than biro :dontknow:
Reply 15
As long as you don't smudge it whilst you're still writing it should be fine because that'd give it time to dry, but do you want to take the risk?
The only reason they recommend you use black biros is because they can guarantee that the ink will show up properly when the papers are scanned in and sent electronically to the examiners for marking.

Allowed pens are black biros, black-ink fountain pens and black-ink ballpoints. Gel pens have a habit of smudging when the page is turned or if you brush your hand over where you have written because the ink does not dry quickly.

As long as you feel your pen will show up OK on a low-quality black-and-white photocopy, there is no problem using the pen. Just make sure the ink is black, dries quickly and that you don't smudge it in your haste to finish the exam!

I know this thread is old, but this reply is for future examinees to see. Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 17
Are you able to use erasable pens?? ( I'm thinking of getting a Pilot Frixion Erasable Rollerball) I don't want lots of crossing out on my work, I cross out so much and I'd probably waste the majority of the answer lines....
Never used a biro in exams in my life. All gel, definitely. I write faster and neater with gel pens. For the number of exams I've been through (not saying I've been through loads though), I've never had a problem with the pens I use. Wouldn't use fountain pen in exams though, the ink don't look as dark than gels so I'm scared that it might not show up good in scans (probably because I use a really cheap fountain pen).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Argh I hate gel pens! They always smudge everywhere!
I love a nice, sharp pen with fast drying ink, makes my writing nicer and its better to write with in my opinion.

Definitely can't beat a good old biro!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending