The Student Room Group

Would you go into Car Sales?

After deciding Uni isn't for me, I've decided to try and start a career a different way.

I've seen a Car "Sales Executive" position and was thinking of applying.
I discussed it with my parents though, although they support my decision to do something instead of Uni, they did not want me going into sales due to being made redundant easily, very bad hours etc.

So I was wondering, would you go into sales, and what reasons for/against do you have?
Reply 1
Anyone? Anybodies point of view would help me!
I personally wouldn't as obviously you have to sell x amount of cars and I'd be rubbish at persuading people. But if you're persuasive and persistent, why not? :smile:
Original post by Maccees
After deciding Uni isn't for me, I've decided to try and start a career a different way.

I've seen a Car "Sales Executive" position and was thinking of applying.
I discussed it with my parents though, although they support my decision to do something instead of Uni, they did not want me going into sales due to being made redundant easily, very bad hours etc.

So I was wondering, would you go into sales, and what reasons for/against do you have?

Made redundant easily? Yes only if you're crap.
Reply 4
Why don't you try to get into recruitment?
Reply 5
Car sales isn't actually as pushy as it used to be due to the huge online car market nowadays. I've been looking for a car myself lately and every sales man I've spoken to has said his job is so much easier nowadays because most people know what they're looking for before they arrive and they know the exact specs of their specific potential car more than he does. It's much more like he's just the cashier who fills out the forms at the end of the sale to confirm the car is yours.

Think about it, if you went to a car showroom now, how much would the actual salesman influence you? You'd have probably looked at hundreds of examples of the car you want on the internet and know what to look for and what to expect. All you need is the gentle nudge to remind you the good factors about the car while on the test drive.

As for being made redundant, I'm afraid that's the way the country is in all sectors now so I wouldn't make it specific to car sales.

P.s. I would love to go into car sales. I'm a big car boff and I'd love to assist people by helping them choose their own cars. I wouldn't like selling a bag of crap to someone though if I knew it was a dud!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Hey Guys,

My name is Marlon who is a junior broker, who is looking for a candidate who ideally have a background in sales accompanied with a bright, enthusiastic attitude towards the product they will be selling. The candidate will show professionalism and have formal telephone manner whilst being prolific in their sales technique.

The candidate will work as part of team and be expected to set daily goals/targets to help achieve a high level of business.

If there are any questions you have about the role, wish to apply or general information about us as a company, contact us on 01992 690 696 and ask to speak to a member of the recruitment team.

Earnings:£100K OTE

Quick Reply

Latest