The Student Room Group

Computer Science without a year in industry

Hello, I have applied to do a foundation year at sussex before hopefully getting onto the undergraduate CS course. The uni does not offer a programme with a placement year and I was wondering if this is vital in getting a decent job after university. I like the look of the course but was just wondering.
Reply 1
Not vital at all, as long as you do short-term internships etc. during the summer. It's advantageous but you're not screwed employment-wise without it by any stretch.

Don't coast all the way through your degree without doing any work experience at all though.
Reply 2
Original post by ch0llima
Not vital at all, as long as you do short-term internships etc. during the summer. It's advantageous but you're not screwed employment-wise without it by any stretch.

Don't coast all the way through your degree without doing any work experience at all though.

Ok thankyou, maybe shorter internships during the summer would allow me to explore abit in the field as well ...
Reply 3
Original post by jimbo lad
Hello, I have applied to do a foundation year at sussex before hopefully getting onto the undergraduate CS course. The uni does not offer a programme with a placement year and I was wondering if this is vital in getting a decent job after university. I like the look of the course but was just wondering.

Hi There,

I have also applied to sussex, but without the foundation route. I too was concerned about the lack of a placement year so I contacted them about it. They said that most people do summer placements but if people want to take a year's industry they will support them in it and the careers service can help.

Hope that helps in some way..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending