The Student Room Group

Will my Mum's credit rating affect my ability to get a student loan?

Basically, my mum's credit rating is pretty horrendous. She's had CCJs in the past etc and I was just wondering if this would affect my ability to get a decent student loan?
Reply 1
As far as I know all they look at of your parents is household income. Nobody is denied a student loan based on credit history, as student loans aren't commercial loans - in fact, they're not really loans at all.
Reply 2
No.

Credit checks are not performed for student loans, and even if they were, they'd be conducted on YOU, not your mother or anybody else.

The only things they really need to know about your parents are their income and where they live in relation to you while you're at University (are you living at home, or away?)
Reply 3
As others have said, no, it won't affect anything. When you eventually have to pay back the loan it will automatically be taken out of your wages, if you earn enough - a bit like income tax, so you will have no choice other than to pay it back, it will have nothing to do with your mum at that point.
Reply 4
Original post by Shani
As others have said, no, it won't affect anything. When you eventually have to pay back the loan it will automatically be taken out of your wages, if you earn enough - a bit like income tax, so you will have no choice other than to pay it back, it will have nothing to do with your mum at that point.

Great news! Thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending