The Student Room Group

Innocent man killed by police car 'on 999 call'

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I guess the police were caught red handed this time. :smartass:

Not much to comment on as none of us were there, the police do have plausible deniability on their side. If the police had the sirens (the lights and noise on) how couldn't have the man not noticed it?
(edited 12 years ago)
until the facts are known, anything written on this forum is merely ill-informed speculation.

You just dont know what happened. The cops could have been negligent, or the pedestrian could have been a retarded mong and in his own little world just walked into the road without looking. Lots of people just dont look these days or dont pay attention due to numerous factors.

But untl the investigation results are known it is silly to comment.
Reply 22
Original post by Zangoose

Policemen are known to abuse their power on the roads by driving recklessly without consideration for fellow motorists. There are so many instances where I've witnessed a police car on a congested road, turn on the sirens at a red traffic light and speed through the crossing, only to slow down and turn the sirens off 50 yards down the road. Be that as it may, [that they were responding to a 999 call] a harsh twist of irony is that they killed someone in the process and never reached the destination where life was apparently in danger.

Do you have any "sources" to back this up? I, for one, (who drives as a living) have NEVER seen such action.

Actually, it doesn't even matter, this accident took place on a rather quiet residential street late at night on the weekend. No busy junction or trying to get past red traffic lights.

Why has the victim been named but not the policeman driving the car?

Police haven't named the victim, he's been named locally.

Here is the Police's statement: http://www.northumbria.police.uk/news_and_events/media_centre/news_releases/details.asp?id=54210

No mention of the indentity, other than it being a 50-year-old male.

If lives were at risk at another location, [a situation which would definitely interest the tabloids] why didn't that situation also make headlines?

What a stupid question. The emergency services answer hundreds if not THOUSANDS of calls an hour, ALL of which should be cases of lives in risk (that is afterall the point of 999). Not every single one of them will make the papers because it's not possible. Furthermore, there's no knowledge of whether or not anyone really is in danger until police get to the scene.

I believe the policeman driving the car was extremely reckless

Why do you believe that?

and the fact that lives were at risk at another location is no excuse to endanger other lives on the way there.

Yes it is and it's a risk that is taken every day by blue light responders.

Obviously Northumbria Police will want to protect their policemen so many questions regarding the situation will go unanswered, simply because northern police are living up to their reputations of being the most corrupt and nefarious police in the whole of England.

If the questions are of your standard than it's no surprise, I'd be happy to see them tell you to sod off.

highly doubt that the car was responding to a life and death situation because I'm sure other police got there in the end but nothing about it has been reported.

Again, 999 calls happen thousands of times an hour, they're not all reported.

Life and death situations would obviously call for lots of back-up meaning many policemen around the scene but there's nothing of it.

No it wouldn't, dont be so silly. A serious car accident for example won't need any "lots of backup" for example, but that could be a life/death situaton.

And as before, police don't know anything about the situation until they reach the scene.

The simple truth is they made up that story to cover up for their recklessness. What do you think? Do you really think it's as simple as a man being hit by a police car in a rush to a life and death situation? Yeah, right.

Oh do sod off.
Reply 23
It was probably a drunken mong stumbling around in the road.
Reply 24
[QUOTE="spyka;35733993"]Do you have any "sources" to back this up? I, for one, (who drives as a living) have NEVER seen such action.

Actually, it doesn't even matter, this accident took place on a rather quiet residential street late at night on the weekend. No busy junction or trying to get past red traffic lights.

Police haven't named the victim, he's been named locally.

Here is the Police's statement: http://www.northumbria.police.uk/news_and_events/media_centre/news_releases/details.asp?id=54210

No mention of the indentity, other than it being a 50-year-old male.[b/]

You got it from the Northumbria Police website... Bias fail. It's rudimentary practice not to take a source from the perpetrator's perspective as the gospel.

Do you think I made up the name "Vincent Gibson from thin air?

What a stupid question. The emergency services answer hundreds if not THOUSANDS of calls an hour, ALL of which should be cases of lives in risk (that is afterall the point of 999). Not every single one of them will make the papers because it's not possible. Furthermore, there's no knowledge of whether or not anyone really is in danger until police get to the scene.

Why do you believe that?

Yes it is and it's a risk that is taken every day by blue light responders.

If the questions are of your standard than it's no surprise, I'd be happy to see them tell you to sod off.

Again, 999 calls happen thousands of times an hour, they're not all reported.

No it wouldn't, dont be so silly. A serious car accident for example won't need any "lots of backup" for example, but that could be a life/death situaton.

And as before, police don't know anything about the situation until they reach the scene.

Oh do sod off.

Oh, and learn to use paragraphs. It took me ages to scroll down your poorly structured 'argument' on my phone. You type like a 2 year old.
Reply 25
and this thread just got retarded.
Reply 26
Oh, and learn to use paragraphs. It took me ages to scroll down your poorly structured 'argument' on my phone. You type like a 2 year old.

:facepalm2:

You must be trolling. Someone makes a point that the police haven't named the man who dies, and backed this up with what the police have released in their statement and you dismiss it because its the police and clearly biased. What do you expect them to do? He may type like a 2 year old, but you seem to have the reasoning power of one.
Reply 27
Quick! Everyone start a riot!

Oh, wait. He didn't have a gun? He didn't sell drugs?

He wasn't even black!?!?

:rolleyes:
Reply 28

Haha this is laughable, your entire initial argument has absolutely no foundation, it's pretty ridiculous.
Reply 29
I have been on a few blue light runs and the amount of idiots that walk infront of emergency vehicles on calls is ridiculous.
Police responders are trained to very high standards but no amount of training will make you stop if someone steps out in front of your car, especially when you are travelling at high speed.
For those who don't know the story, yesterday around 22.30, a 50 year-old named Vincent Gibson, was hit by a police car supposedly responding to a 999 call in Whiteleas Way, South Shields. He was later prounced dead.

Northumbria Police stated that the vehicle was responding to a call in which "lives were at risk".
Bull****.

Policemen are known to abuse their power on the roads by driving recklessly without consideration for fellow motorists. There are so many instances where I've witnessed a police car on a congested road, turn on the sirens at a red traffic light and speed through the crossing, only to slow down and turn the sirens off 50 yards down the road. Be that as it may, [that they were responding to a 999 call] a harsh twist of irony is that they killed someone in the process and never reached the destination where life was apparently in danger.

You may have seen instances like that however how can you be sure the police car in question wasn't answering an emergency?

Maybe to prevent a media storm around the police officer in question. I'm sure the police officer is already feeling like crap the last thing he/she needs is a flood of media attention.

I believe the policeman driving the car was extremely reckless

Are you aware of all the facts? If not I wouldn't assume.

and the fact that lives were at risk at another location is no excuse to endanger other lives on the way there.

Since you are probably not privy to all the details I wouldn't assume anything yet. Unless you are sure it was because of reckless driving rather than it being a tragic accident.

The simple truth is they made up that story to cover up for their recklessness. What do you think? Do you really think it's as simple as a man being hit by a police car in a rush to a life and death situation? Yeah, right.

Prove it

Original post by moonkatt
I think its disgusting that the OP is using the death of a person to push his own anti police agenda on the day this person has died and all the facts are not known yet.

This
Reply 31

Policemen are known to abuse their power on the roads by driving recklessly without consideration for fellow motorists. There are so many instances where I've witnessed a police car on a congested road, turn on the sirens at a red traffic light and speed through the crossing, only to slow down and turn the sirens off 50 yards down the road.

I do not know how the police dispatch system works, however I have spent a few shifts on ambulances, there has been a number of occasions when sitting in traffic we have been sent a job that requires a blue light response, put all the lights and sirens on, cleared the traffic/junction and then been cancelled by the control room and so we switch all lights off and continue at normal road speed.

I highly doubt any policeman or emergency responder would risk losing their job and possibly their driving license by putting on blue lights illegitimately to save a minute or 2 in traffic.
Reply 32
For those who don't know the story, yesterday around 22.30, a 50 year-old named Vincent Gibson, was hit by a police car supposedly responding to a 999 call in Whiteleas Way, South Shields. He was later prounced dead.

Northumbria Police stated that the vehicle was responding to a call in which "lives were at risk".
Bull****.

If lives were at risk at another location, [a situation which would definitely interest the tabloids] why didn't that situation also make headlines?

I believe the policeman driving the car was extremely reckless and the fact that lives were at risk at another location is no excuse to endanger other lives on the way there. It's possibly the harshest twist of irony you can ever imagine. Obviously Northumbria Police will want to protect their policemen so many questions regarding the situation will go unanswered, simply because northern police are living up to their reputations of being the most corrupt and nefarious police in the whole of England. I highly doubt that the car was responding to a life and death situation because I'm sure other police got there in the end but nothing about it has been reported.

Life and death situations would obviously call for lots of back-up meaning many policemen around the scene but there's nothing of it.

****in idiot

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending