The Student Room Group

Are Mont Blanc pens worth it?

Not sure if this is the right section, please move if not.

Anyway, are Mont Blanc pens worth it? The cheaper models are about £300. I know its expensive, but, they dont depreciate in value. So I could just sell it on the internet if I dont need it anymore. Whilst with a computer they break and depreciate to about £50.
If anyone has one, do they improve your handwriting?
Would you say they were worth the money?

Thanks in advance. Just seems abit pricey for a pen. However, it does have gold and stuff on it

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends. You're paying for the privalege of using a branded pen, but you'd have to be REALLY into your designer brands to spend £300 on it! Then again, as you said the price is high because of the quality....... personally, I would rather put the money towards a pair of Louboutins or smt than a pen, but everyone is different. Maybe shop around for one thats also a high quality, but a bit cheaper? Or one on ebay?
Reply 2
it depends on you.
My mum was given one by her company when she got promoted, and it is lovely to write with.
If you can afford it you might as well, as it is something you'll keep forever.
Reply 4
There are better value fountain pens, have a look on fountainpennetwork.com.
I'd recommend a pelikan if this is your first decent fountain pen.
I got one as an 18th birthday present and whilst it is absolutely beautiful and a collector's piece, I don't use it half as often as I thought I would! Mainly this is because I'm nervous of having it rolling around my pencil case, so I'd choose one of the slightly plainer, 'sturdier' models (I have a limited edition one which is more of a 'fashion' pen than an everyday fountain pen).
Cartridges are the best option for them, but be aware that you are strongly advised to use Mont Blanc cartridges and not just lob in a Quink cartridge (the sales assistant was horrified when my mum asked if this was possible..)
Original post by Space-Monkey
I got one as an 18th birthday present and whilst it is absolutely beautiful and a collector's piece, I don't use it half as often as I thought I would! Mainly this is because I'm nervous of having it rolling around my pencil case, so I'd choose one of the slightly plainer, 'sturdier' models (I have a limited edition one which is more of a 'fashion' pen than an everyday fountain pen).
Cartridges are the best option for them, but be aware that you are strongly advised to use Mont Blanc cartridges and not just lob in a Quink cartridge (the sales assistant was horrified when my mum asked if this was possible..)

I wouldnt plan to, that'd defeat the object. Dont you get a wooden box to put it in?
Reply 7
Sorry but what justification do you have for spending £300 on a pen!!?

You could go to Paris or something for that! Unless you are really into calligraphy etc I don't see the point...
Reply 8
what would be the point of said pen? what is the purpose of having a pen which you feel the need to keep in its little wooden box? seriously, that's a lot of money to spend on something which you won't use much. I mean, they're lovely to write with, sure, but if you want to keep it all pristine and perfect, how much are you really going to use it? Then again, your money I guess.
Reply 9
coming from the owner of a mont blanc pen i say it is, its like buying a rolex or the like, youre not just buying a pen youre buying the status that goes with it mont blanc pens are the creme de la creme of pens beautifully designed, beautifully crafted and made from the finest materials availible and as you said they hold their value well easily becoming collectors items or a nice piece to give your children later on in life ... only issue is the price, granted its not cheap but again i say go for it theyre lovely pieces :smile:
I reckon so
Reply 11

Buy one of these and set £299.50 on fire.

"Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need."
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 12
I was gifted a Mont Blanc ballpoint last year, but I really don't see anything special about it. Didn't really pay attention to it really, but now I know it's value ... :O
I've used one and it didn't feel up to anything special. Certain status attached to it though.
Reply 14
Reply 15
I wouldn't, you'll lose it no doubt.
You could get 5 or 6 premium pens for that kind of money, just without the pricetag attached to a brand, and they'd be just as good to write with. Or enough biros to last you a lifetime.
Reply 16
I think the era of having expensive pens are long over, especially considering just how little we write using pen and paper these days.

Anyway I do use a Montblanc pen, was given to me when I turned 16... the only time I use it is when I'm writing an exam or signing an important document. Otherwise I keep it under lock and key :tongue:

If it is your first fountain pen, I'd suggest you buy a much cheaper one first, see if you could get used to using one as many people struggle to write properly with one and a lot of you may not be using the correct type of paper that allows for fountain pens as a lot of lighter and cheaper papers tend to have ink blots when you write on it using a fountain pen. Something to consider.
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I wouldnt plan to, that'd defeat the object. Dont you get a wooden box to put it in?

I got quite a large display box with mine, so not so practical to throw into a bag!
Reply 18
Bic's are better
Reply 19
Ok, I know this is 2 years on. however, I own several Montblanc pens and I love them. I have seen people say that they have had them given to them as a gift and they don't use it. Fine, thats not the same as buying one for yourself. and people like that are our friends as they often sell their pens below market value.
I can admit that I had rubbish handwriting before I got my pen and I have seen a dramatic improvement however this is because I am constantly in meetings and need to use my pen. Also, the pen will never lose value. I have a pen which has increased in value by over 400%. This is just one. I personally have 5 and yes that might seem like a lot however my reason is pure. I am getting married and will soon be starting a family. A sad fact of life is that I will pass away some day. I use all of my pens and one day when I will leave a pen to each of my kids. and I know they will increase in value and they can do what they want with it!

Hope that helps if you haven't already got one!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending